Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
TXAFVet
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#1

Post by TXAFVet » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:37 am

A co-worker of mine went to a North Dallas Wal-Mart yesterday and saw a row of metal detectors at the entrance?? She had heard about metal detectors being installed in Oklahoma locations but was surprised to see them here in TX. She even took a pic and they do look like metal detectors. Has anyone else heard of this? I asked her if they were just to catch anti-shoplifting devices and she was adamant they were metal detectors.

I’ve never even seen a 30.06 sign at Wal-Mart before. How are they going to handle a situation when a LTC holder walks through their metal detectors? With no 30.06 signs?

I’m really surprised so I thought I’d post here. See if anyone else has heard or seen anything about this.

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9008
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#2

Post by mojo84 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 am

May help if you could post the pictures she took. I haven't heard or seen anything about this.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

User avatar

fringe
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#3

Post by fringe » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 am

Are you sure they're metal detectors and not for loss prevention?


cyphertext
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#4

Post by cyphertext » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:44 am

I seriously doubt that they are metal detectors. My bet would be that they are RFID readers for asset tracking and inventory, or possibly a test for a new "scan and go" type system that allows customers to avoid waiting in line for a cashier.

User avatar

anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 7496
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#5

Post by anygunanywhere » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Image
"The Second Amendment is absolute...If we refuse infringement to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms, as protected by the Second Amendment, we will never be burdened by tyranny, dictatorship, or subjugation - other than to bury those who attempt it. B.E.Wood


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3916
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#6

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Were Wal-Mart employees standing next to the machines? If they are metal detectors, they would be pretty useless unless an employee was there to stop folks when they went off.

It might be easier just to ask your co-worker if they went off when she walked through. Since she had her phone, that should have set off a metal detector.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Maxwell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#7

Post by Maxwell » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:02 pm

fringe wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 am
Are you sure they're metal detectors and not for loss prevention?
I'm going with this. They are probably RFID scanners for loss prevention (akak: shoplifting).
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

User avatar

joe817
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9303
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm
Location: Arlington

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#8

Post by joe817 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Maxwell wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:02 pm
fringe wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 am
Are you sure they're metal detectors and not for loss prevention?
I'm going with this. They are probably RFID scanners for loss prevention (akak: shoplifting).
:iagree: That was my first thought as well.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380


philip964
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 11424
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#9

Post by philip964 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 pm

I’m in with - scan and go.

You just walk out with what you want and it charges your credit card. Receipt would be on an app on your phone or something.

This would be to compete with Amazon threat of their new stores.

They don’t hardly even confront shoplifters ( legal now in Dallas) as it is. They are going to ask employees to confront armed shoppers and disarm them?

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6570
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#10

Post by Pawpaw » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm

They're bound to be RFID scanners.

Metal detectors would be useless... they would go off every time a shopping cart went through the doors.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


WildRose
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 am

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#11

Post by WildRose » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:41 am

fringe wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:35 am
Are you sure they're metal detectors and not for loss prevention?
My thoughts exactly. Their biggest problem by far is shoplifting.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

User avatar

der Teufel
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: In the vicinity of Austin

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#12

Post by der Teufel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:03 am

Pawpaw wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm
They're bound to be RFID scanners.

Metal detectors would be useless... they would go off every time a shopping cart went through the doors.
Yeah, not to mention car keys, pocket knives, metal frame eyeglasses, my artificial knee, the plate in my head, and of course my firearm.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3698
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#13

Post by chasfm11 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:24 am

der Teufel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:03 am
Pawpaw wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm
They're bound to be RFID scanners.

Metal detectors would be useless... they would go off every time a shopping cart went through the doors.
Yeah, not to mention car keys, pocket knives, metal frame eyeglasses, my artificial knee, the plate in my head, and of course my firearm.
:iagree: My wife cannot fly now (two artificial knees) without getting pulled out of line for an intrusive pat-down, regardless of what TSA says about their machines not being influenced by that metal. I cannot imagine how much fun it would be to have Wal-Mart employees trying to deal with anything similar.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3916
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#14

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:56 pm

chasfm11 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:24 am
der Teufel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:03 am
Pawpaw wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm
They're bound to be RFID scanners.

Metal detectors would be useless... they would go off every time a shopping cart went through the doors.
Yeah, not to mention car keys, pocket knives, metal frame eyeglasses, my artificial knee, the plate in my head, and of course my firearm.
:iagree: My wife cannot fly now (two artificial knees) without getting pulled out of line for an intrusive pat-down, regardless of what TSA says about their machines not being influenced by that metal. I cannot imagine how much fun it would be to have Wal-Mart employees trying to deal with anything similar.
After seeing this post I read something similar on another forum. No retailer is going to want to deal with the expense of hiring full time security at the machines, as well as putting their customers through the delay (and hassle) of having to empty pockets, get wanded if the machine still goes off, etc.

It MIGHT work for a low volume boutique type shop. Say a high end jewelry store or the like. But definitely would not make sense at a place like Wal Mart that might have hundreds of customers in the store at any one time.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


rmr24
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Metal Detectors are Wal-Mart???

#15

Post by rmr24 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:19 pm

My local Walmart recently did a refresh and added these gates at the entries, not sure what purpose they serve but maybe they are what is being mistaken for metal detectors?
Attachments
5392E051-1620-4325-BA47-A7D592E32E13.jpeg

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”