Nervous LTC test

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gabeZherrera
Posts in topic: 6

Nervous LTC test

Post by gabeZherrera »

Hey guys, Brand new to these forums and will actually be on quite a bit. I am taking my LTC class this sunday and pretty nervous about it. I have been shooting for about a year now but not very frequently (maybe once to twice a month). I have consistency and have been shooting on a 12x18 target. But some reason I do drop my shots. I think it has to do with my trigger press. My form is good, my grip is good, I notice on my trigger press the sights do shake a little bit. I have small framed hands. Should I post pone my LTC class or just keep dry firing until then to really get it down? Any input or criticism is appreciated.
Attachments
1014C453-46B1-44F5-85BA-EFFDE5119A62.jpeg

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Nervous LTC test

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Flip 180° if left handed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AF-Odin »

12x18 is about the size of the 8 ring on the B-27 target which gets you 5 points per hole. Dry firing will help with the trigger press. RELAX. Use your time on each string of fire and don't RUSH! Just remember the basics for EACH round fired, Sight Picture, breath control, trigger squeeze. Remember, 20 rounds are at 3 yards which is 100 of the 175 points you need. Another 20 are at 7 yards for another 100 points. Only students I have seen that could not get to the 175 were the ones that were shooting the pistol for the FIRST time. If you have been shooting for a year approximately monthly, you should do fine.

Check back in after the class and let us know how you did.

AFTER you get your plastic, then it is time to get more range time and start thinking about continuing training.

Good luck
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

rob777
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rob777 »

without watching you shoot, it would be hard to say for certain
what distance were you shooting that target?
often times, shooting low/left (for right hand shooters) is due to poor or inconsistent grip (squeezing extra when the trigger is pulled)
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

The shooting test is pretty hard not to pass. The classroom part is a breeze. I could have passed the written test without even taking the class. Read up on the state laws and the rest is just common sense.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

What kind of gun are you shooting? a long stiff pull on a trigger can make it hard to keep the sights on target. Lots of new shooters these days are buying LC9s or LCP styled guns and they can be tough to master.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
gabeZherrera

Post by gabeZherrera »

Liberty wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm What kind of gun are you shooting? a long stiff pull on a trigger can make it hard to keep the sights on target. Lots of new shooters these days are buying LC9s or LCP styled guns and they can be tough to master.
I’m shooting a Sig P320 compact, again i have small frame hands so I am thinking it is my trigger press

Topic author
gabeZherrera

Post by gabeZherrera »

rob777 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:33 pm without watching you shoot, it would be hard to say for certain
what distance were you shooting that target?
often times, shooting low/left (for right hand shooters) is due to poor or inconsistent grip (squeezing extra when the trigger is pulled)
Only about 5 yards out, I’m scared my 7 yards will be a lot worse 😬

Topic author
gabeZherrera

Post by gabeZherrera »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm 12x18 is about the size of the 8 ring on the B-27 target which gets you 5 points per hole. Dry firing will help with the trigger press. RELAX. Use your time on each string of fire and don't RUSH! Just remember the basics for EACH round fired, Sight Picture, breath control, trigger squeeze. Remember, 20 rounds are at 3 yards which is 100 of the 175 points you need. Another 20 are at 7 yards for another 100 points. Only students I have seen that could not get to the 175 were the ones that were shooting the pistol for the FIRST time. If you have been shooting for a year approximately monthly, you should do fine.

Check back in after the class and let us know how you did.

AFTER you get your plastic, then it is time to get more range time and start thinking about continuing training.

Good luck
Thanks! I’m always about continuing training, and improving. Will check back after class with an update this sunday. Very happy and excited if I pass, already took care of fingerprinting and application taken care of.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Welcome.

Take your time and relax. The shooting portion is actually very forgiving. The biggest part is don't be so tense that you make a mental mistake like pointing your handgun anywhere but down range... THAT will get you failed.

As has been said, get through the class, then worry about scoring well. If push really comes to shove, aim high and right.

Just get though it, and then keep on working and practicing.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

You have to be REALLY bad to fail the test. If that’s at 5 yards you should be fine. The target is huge and you could almost pass if every single shot hit outside the rings.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

A lady in mine shot the steel I beam on the roof above her target once and still passed. I don’t think you have much to worry about

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

There was an 83 year old lady in my class. She was new to shooting. She shot a 238 and obviously qualified. She used a 38 spl snubbie revolver.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Definitely take your time during the test (...but don't go over time for each engagement..). I'd suggest having someone set a 2 second timer, & practice getting off your first shot (dry firing) within that 2 seconds, & practice until you can get it under 2 seconds without moving the sights off your point of aim.

Later engagements, especially the 5-round engagement in 10 seconds, will seem like an eternity. Most people I've trained will have about 5-6 seconds remaining, & then realize they could have acquired a little more deliberate sight picture for those shots (and especially when you have 15-seconds for 5 shots at the 15yard line).

Regarding your low-left grouping, I'd offer up looking at your grip. A low-left grouping (for a right handed shooter) can usually be corrected by NOT squeezing with your pinky finger (or, if it's a sub-compact, whichever finger is lowest on the front strap /front of the grip). When we squeeze with the pinky finger, it infers a downward & inward force on to the gun. (For a lefty, it would group low-right).

As Rob777 said, without watching you shoot it's a bit difficult to say with certainty. Just know that it's not that difficult, as long as you're safe. Based on the target you posted, you'll likely have met the standard before leaving the 7 yard line, & everything from the 15-yard line will just be extra points!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I agree with most of the replies that low left is a result of finger placement on the trigger. Usually "wrapping" too much of your finger around the trigger. I catch myself doing that when shooting fast. For me it is best to just have the first joint of my fingers, just touching the side of the trigger, and only the pad on the trigger face.
I wouldn't worry though, your grouping will be well within the area needed to pass. You can Google the Texas LTC shooting requirement, and find videos of exactly what the sequence will be. I recently helped my 80 year old mother in law prepare for her LTC class, and she passed with flying colors. She had probably only fired a handgun once or twice in her life.
You didn't say where you are located, but there may be some forum members near you, who would be willing meet you at the range Saturday, before your class, and maybe point out anything that may be causing your issues. I live just south of the DFW area.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”