DIY mailboxes vs. thieves

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DIY mailboxes vs. thieves

Post by Tex1961 »

Not quite sure why you joined a gun forum and posted about mailboxes. But I’ll share a story. I used to live in a small rental house set way off a major freeway about 30 years ago. Almost every weekend someone would rip it out of the ground. I finally got fed up and concreted a railroad tie into the ground. The very next weekend there were emergency lights near the front of the property. The next morning I drove down to the mailbox and found the pole standing but the actual box about a hundred feet away. Also found a bumper and other car parts. Never found out what happened, but nobody ever screwed with my mailbox again.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Interesting first post from NY.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Don’t feed the trolls
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Weaponized mailboxes are regulated in NY. Background check required. That’s why he is posting on a Texas forum.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I’ve always thought that the boxes video stores & libraries used to use for folks to return movies & books would make a great mail box.

Malawler

Post by Malawler »

I'm thinking that getting a box down at the local post office would be the easier and cheaper solution.

Lena

Post by Lena »

We had a neighbor use 8 or 10" ID steel pipe 4' in ground filled with concrete for a post with a welded heavy steal plate box welded to a plate on top with a very good locking door they filled with gas and burned it! But did not get in it.
Stay Safe

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Check local ordinances - my Uncle and his neighbors had the baseball bat bashing problem in Indiana. One neighbor got fed up and reinstalled with an I-beam concreted in the ground. The teens wrecked their car on it, and successfully sued for damages, because the installation was deemed illegal by local laws.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

rotor

Post by rotor »

The Post Office has official rules on mail boxes. Check their website. I am subscribed to their email service which tells me what mail is going to be delivered that day. At least you know what is being stolen that day.

Officially you must use post office guidelines for a mailbox. If I were you I would get a PO box.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Exactly, the USPS won't put mail in an unapproved mailbox.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

oohrah wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:36 pm Check local ordinances - my Uncle and his neighbors had the baseball bat bashing problem in Indiana. One neighbor got fed up and reinstalled with an I-beam concreted in the ground. The teens wrecked their car on it, and successfully sued for damages, because the installation was deemed illegal by local laws.
The USPS can be very restrictive about the box they allow and will deliver to ( been there done that ). Some jurisdiction require a " break away " designed to be utilized for the support. I too have seen a successful law suit due to injuries sustained when a base did not give and caused injuries.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”