Stray dogs in Florida maul man to death in 4th of July attack

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gamboolman
Posts in topic: 1

Stray dogs in Florida maul man to death in 4th of July attack

Post by gamboolman »

With all the posts and news on dog attacks recently, thought this was relevant to CHL Holders. Not to start the breed of peace argument but the article reports that some Pit Bull mixed breeds were captured after the attack

We walk for exercise a lot and have been chased by dogs multiple times, had dogs come at us that we drove off without shooting them. It is a shame that we need to be aware of both 2 legged and 4 legged threats. Another reason for a spare magazine.

Pic of article and Link below of man mauled to death by dogs
Link to News Article
https://www.foxnews.com/us/stray-dogs-i ... uly-attack

gamboolman.... :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Stray dogs in Florida maul man to death in 4th of July attack

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Even armed six dogs piling on you would be a serious challenge.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

Sad way to go.

4 legged attacks are more common than 2 legged attacks.
Around 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year, resulting in the hospitalization of 6,000 to 13,000 people each year in the United States (2005).[1] Dog bites can cause pain, injury, infection, and even death. About 1 in 5 dog bites require medical attention.
Typically, between 30 and 50 people in the US die from dog bites each year
wikipedia

1.28 million violent crimes in US (2017)

Of course animal attacks get a lot more exotic than dog attacks. I was traveling out of state last month and had a Grizzly with her 2 cubs walk out of the woods right at me! :shock: Fortunately none of us wanted any trouble and the bears changed directions.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:38 pm Even armed six dogs piling on you would be a serious challenge.

Much less of a challenge, than when unarmed. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I took a neighbor to court over his pitbull chasing people in our cul de sac, dog never bit anyone because we were lucky. Dog was declared dangerous because 3 families testified at the hearing and the judge sided with us.

03Lightningrocks

Jusme wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:37 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:38 pm Even armed six dogs piling on you would be a serious challenge.

Obviously. But my point is that when being attacked by 6 dogs at the same time, being armed may not help you much. There are many variables that can affect your chances of survival. Do they all pounce at the same time? Do they stop after firing at one of them? When did you determine it was time to start shooting? Did they pounce on you from out of nowhere? I am just saying it would be a challenge.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:23 pm
Jusme wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Obviously. But my point is that when being attacked by 6 dogs at the same time, being armed may not help you much. There are many variables that can affect your chances of survival. Do they all pounce at the same time? Do they stop after firing at one of them? When did you determine it was time to start shooting? Did they pounce on you from out of nowhere? I am just saying it would be a challenge.
Dogs do move fast. There was a particular dog attack that pushed me into point shooting. When dogs move fast and get close you don't have time for a front sight focus like you do shooting a paper target at the range. You really need a target focus to have a good chance at hitting them. As Chas points out a red dot can also enable you a target focus.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

equin

Post by equin »

I was chased by 3 stray dogs while out jogging near my apartment complex many years ago. I stopped to face them, and they stopped as well and surrounded me. It was a classic pack hunt move on their part. I doubt I could’ve taken the 3 of them on unarmed, but I wasn’t going to go down without a fight. But because I had stopped, faced them, and got in a fighting stance, they hesitated. In fact, they hesitated enough that I would’ve had plenty of time to draw, aim and shoot the one right in front of me. But I wasn’t armed. Instead I yelled, cursed and made a quick, aggressive move towards the dog in front of me, and that was enough to scare them and have them run away from me. I was lucky, and I don’t know if a different pack of strays or a larger pack would’ve reacted differently. But that experience was one of the reasons why I decided to get my LTC.

Anyway, sad story about what happened to the guy in Florida.
Ed

equin

Post by equin »

Forgot to add, that if there were rocks or a stick nearby, I would’ve armed myself with them. Instead, they caught up with me right in the middle of an open field with nothing around except grass.
Ed

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

equin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am Forgot to add, that if there were rocks or a stick nearby, I would’ve armed myself with them. Instead, they caught up with me right in the middle of an open field with nothing around except grass.
A trick I learned as a paperboy several decades ago is to bend over as to reach for a rock, and pause in a ready to throw action. They seem to understand this motion. Having a couple of rocks in hand would be a plus though.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

equin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am I was chased by 3 stray dogs while out jogging near my apartment complex many years ago. I stopped to face them, and they stopped as well and surrounded me. It was a classic pack hunt move on their part. I doubt I could’ve taken the 3 of them on unarmed, but I wasn’t going to go down without a fight. But because I had stopped, faced them, and got in a fighting stance, they hesitated. In fact, they hesitated enough that I would’ve had plenty of time to draw, aim and shoot the one right in front of me. But I wasn’t armed. Instead I yelled, cursed and made a quick, aggressive move towards the dog in front of me, and that was enough to scare them and have them run away from me. I was lucky, and I don’t know if a different pack of strays or a larger pack would’ve reacted differently. But that experience was one of the reasons why I decided to get my LTC.
Glad it worked out for you!

Dogs do often chase if you run. If you stand your ground they often pause. I have also found if you are aggressive in your demeanor they take that as a cue that you are dangerous. It makes them more cautious... or even afraid. Something about animal instinct.

03Lightningrocks

Paladin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm
equin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 am I was chased by 3 stray dogs while out jogging near my apartment complex many years ago. I stopped to face them, and they stopped as well and surrounded me. It was a classic pack hunt move on their part. I doubt I could’ve taken the 3 of them on unarmed, but I wasn’t going to go down without a fight. But because I had stopped, faced them, and got in a fighting stance, they hesitated. In fact, they hesitated enough that I would’ve had plenty of time to draw, aim and shoot the one right in front of me. But I wasn’t armed. Instead I yelled, cursed and made a quick, aggressive move towards the dog in front of me, and that was enough to scare them and have them run away from me. I was lucky, and I don’t know if a different pack of strays or a larger pack would’ve reacted differently. But that experience was one of the reasons why I decided to get my LTC.
Glad it worked out for you!

Dogs do often chase if you run. If you stand your ground they often pause. I have also found if you are aggressive in your demeanor they take that as a cue that you are dangerous. It makes them more cautious... or even afraid. Something about animal instinct.
This is what I have experienced. Several years back I had three mix breed pits come at me aggressively. I charged at them instinctively. The lead dog turned and ran. The other two followed him away. I always believed I was lucky because I am not or ever have been in a hurry to take on three vicious dogs.

equin

Post by equin »

I admit I was scared when they came at me. It was weird how they surrounded me, too. I had one in front, one on my right flank and the other on my left flank. They formed a triangle. They were just outside my kicking distance, too. I remember thinking about those predator vs prey animal shows on TV showing predators instinctively hunting in packs, and sure enough I thought I was their prey. I guess the fear I felt gave me enough of an adrenaline rush to want to stand my ground and fight them. Not sure if they smelled my adrenaline or noticed a change in my attitude, but I was lucky that they got scared enough to want to run away when I started yelling and making that aggressive move towards them. I don't remember if the article said how many dogs attacked that poor guy in Florida. I thought 3 was more than enough. I don't know what I would've done had it been more than that, especially being unarmed. I'm guessing if that guy had been armed and fired a shot, the loud crack probably would've scared all of them off.
Ed

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

LDP wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:56 pm If you're not packing, at least bring mace or something to deter the dogs enough for you to make your escape. Poor guy in FL was not prepared. R.I.P.
:iagree:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”