Obigation to correct someone?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Obigation to correct someone?

Post by oljames3 »

Darn. Y'all have all the fun. I've been carrying openly since 1/1/16. Nothing anywhere near this exciting has happened to me.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:05 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm Not correcting someone else's false assumption is not the same thing as misrepresenting yourself. This can lead to some truly bizarre situations.

There’s a guy who owns a gas station near my old house in Grapevine, who was absolutely convinced that I am ex-CIA. How? Because in the middle of a conversation about retirement (I was newly retired at the time), he point blank asked me if I was retired CIA, and he wasn’t being sarcastic. It was a sincere question.....like he WANTED it to be true. (This guy is a real conspiracy nut too.) I was so taken aback by the question in the moment that my initial reaction was to grin and look down at the ground. It took me about 2-3 seconds too long to collect my thoughts and to answer in the negative, simply because I couldn’t believe I’d been asked the question, and that sealed the deal. He TOTALLY jumped to the conclusion that I am a retired CIA agent. I did deny it then and there, more than once, but he wasn’t having it. It was more interesting for him to have this fantasy about my identity, that’s it was for him to believe my denials. In fact, the denials just served to strengthen his resolve, and he took it as like a wink wink nudge nudge "our little secret" kind of thing.

I eventually let the whole thing drop and quit trying to deny it. He believed what he wanted to believe. People are like that.
The Annoyed Man. Double Nought Spy.
He would tell us but then he would have to kill us all. So it's better we don't know.
I know, right? It was one of the most truly bizarre encounters I ever had. That dude was really weird. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

:smilelol5:

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grayling813 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm Not correcting someone else's false assumption is not the same thing as misrepresenting yourself. This can lead to some truly bizarre situations.

There’s a guy who owns a gas station near my old house in Grapevine, who was absolutely convinced that I am ex-CIA. How? Because in the middle of a conversation about retirement (I was newly retired at the time), he point blank asked me if I was retired CIA, and he wasn’t being sarcastic. It was a sincere question.....like he WANTED it to be true. (This guy is a real conspiracy nut too.) I was so taken aback by the question in the moment that my initial reaction was to grin and look down at the ground. It took me about 2-3 seconds too long to collect my thoughts and to answer in the negative, simply because I couldn’t believe I’d been asked the question, and that sealed the deal. He TOTALLY jumped to the conclusion that I am a retired CIA agent. I did deny it then and there, more than once, but he wasn’t having it. It was more interesting for him to have this fantasy about my identity, that’s it was for him to believe my denials. In fact, the denials just served to strengthen his resolve, and he took it as like a wink wink nudge nudge "our little secret" kind of thing.

I eventually let the whole thing drop and quit trying to deny it. He believed what he wanted to believe. People are like that.
He would tell us but then he would have to kill us all. So it's better we don't know.
I know, right? It was one of the most truly bizarre encounters I ever had. That dude was really weird. :lol:
So you’re still denying that you are retired CIA? :biggrinjester:

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Grayling813 »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:01 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm
Flightmare wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm These stories help to support my belief that many people assume you are a cop when you are open carrying.
Mostly because it is so unusual to see people open carrying. It was almost 2 years after the law went into effect before I spotted someone "in the wild" open carrying.
I still haven't seen anyone OC.
If you don't make it to a breakfast in your area before September, the NRA is having a big meeting in Dallas. ;-)
Actually it’s in Fort Worth. :mrgreen:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:20 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm These stories help to support my belief that many people assume you are a cop when you are open carrying.
Mostly because it is so unusual to see people open carrying. It was almost 2 years after the law went into effect before I spotted someone "in the wild" open carrying.
If you don't make it to a breakfast in your area before September, the NRA is having a big meeting in Dallas. ;-)
Dooh
:oops:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 pm

"rlol"

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

Isn't that just a Dallas Neighborhood? :biggrinjester:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

OneGun wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:03 pm I had a similar experience the other day, although mine was not in a bad part of town. Every morning, I stop at the Exxon station to grab my morning drink for my commute to work. When I commute to and from work, I use a OWB as it is easier to remove / put on while seated in my truck. I can't carry in our office (East Coast firm). That day, I did not put on my sport coat, so I was open carrying. I know the clerks & managers at this exxon on a first name basis. No one ever says anything about my open carrying, until this past Monday.

After I paid for my drink, I was almost out the door when a man in shorts & a Hawaiian shirt shouts at me, "who you work for?". I told him the name of the consulting firm. Then he shows me his badge. He's a deputy. Then he barks: "You have a permit?". I said yes. Do you want to see it? He says no. Then me mutters, never seen anyone but cops carry in here. I went on my way.
It would be tempting to have a chat with his Sheriff. Set him straight on OC being legal and insufficient cause, on its own, for his attitude.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm The Annoyed Man. Double Nought Spy.
Or former brain surgeon or retired street car conductor.
:rolll
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

For those of us down here...same thing. :biggrinjester:
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:41 pm
Grayling813 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 pm

"rlol"
Youse guys won’t mock me when I bring U.N.C.L.E. down on your sorry butts.

CRAP! Forget I said that.
:leaving
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

I live in Cedar Park and since OC passed, I've seen exactly 1 person Open Carry at a Lowe's in Leander a year or so ago. I'm not at all opposed to OC, but I have never done it. I've had a CHL/LTC for 15 years now, and it just feels un-natural to me -I'd rather not be noticed carrying. Old habits I guess...

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

That incident with the deputy probably best highlights why I don't fully OC. I live in the country near Vernon, some 50 miles west of Wichita Falls. This area is about as firearms-friendly as it gets, everybody and their brother owns guns, and people around here talk about guns almost as much as the weather. So, I doubt I would have any issues with any "regular" folks if I OC'd. However, even though the majority of LEOs around here are also gun-friendly, I don't want to have to deal with that one officer who decides that "regular" folks really shouldn't be OC'ing. And I'd guess it would be because that LEO might get the impression that you are trying to make people think you're an LEO. I just don't need the hassles.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”