Obigation to correct someone?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Obigation to correct someone?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The area near my office is not the best, and there are two gas stations on the corner where folks have been assaulted in the past. So I try to avoid stopping there. But the other morning, I was late for a morning meeting and did not have time to get gas on the way in. So that evening I did stop there. As always happens, someone started to approach me, presumably to ask for money. He saw the 1911 on my hip, stopped about 10 feet away, and said "do you have a few extra bucks so I get some gas, officer?"

I responded that I was sorry, but I did not have any extra money. I didn't feel the need to correct his statement addressing me as "officer". Other than the gun, I wasn't wearing anything that would indicate I might be a LEO (no handcuffs, badges, etc). At the time, I felt that leaving it uncorrected would help to avoid any possible escalation in that particular case, based on my overall feel of the specific situation.

So my question. Are we under any legal, or ethical, obligation to correct someone who addresses us as "officer"?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Obigation to correct someone?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Under the circumstances you described, no.

Chas.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

I had a similar experience the other day, although mine was not in a bad part of town. Every morning, I stop at the Exxon station to grab my morning drink for my commute to work. When I commute to and from work, I use a OWB as it is easier to remove / put on while seated in my truck. I can't carry in our office (East Coast firm). That day, I did not put on my sport coat, so I was open carrying. I know the clerks & managers at this exxon on a first name basis. No one ever says anything about my open carrying, until this past Monday.

After I paid for my drink, I was almost out the door when a man in shorts & a Hawaiian shirt shouts at me, "who you work for?". I told him the name of the consulting firm. Then he shows me his badge. He's a deputy. Then he barks: "You have a permit?". I said yes. Do you want to see it? He says no. Then me mutters, never seen anyone but cops carry in here. I went on my way.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

rotor

Post by rotor »

“You have a permit” technically not appropriate but no big deal to answer.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Not correcting someone else's false assumption is not the same thing as misrepresenting yourself. This can lead to some truly bizarre situations.

There’s a guy who owns a gas station near my old house in Grapevine, who was absolutely convinced that I am ex-CIA. How? Because in the middle of a conversation about retirement (I was newly retired at the time), he point blank asked me if I was retired CIA, and he wasn’t being sarcastic. It was a sincere question.....like he WANTED it to be true. (This guy is a real conspiracy nut too.) I was so taken aback by the question in the moment that my initial reaction was to grin and look down at the ground. It took me about 2-3 seconds too long to collect my thoughts and to answer in the negative, simply because I couldn’t believe I’d been asked the question, and that sealed the deal. He TOTALLY jumped to the conclusion that I am a retired CIA agent. I did deny it then and there, more than once, but he wasn’t having it. It was more interesting for him to have this fantasy about my identity, that’s it was for him to believe my denials. In fact, the denials just served to strengthen his resolve, and he took it as like a wink wink nudge nudge "our little secret" kind of thing.

I eventually let the whole thing drop and quit trying to deny it. He believed what he wanted to believe. People are like that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

Something very similar happened to me this past Saturday. I was open carrying, which isn't something I do regularly. It just happened to be DFW breakfast Saturday, so why not. Anyhow, I ended up in a very interesting conversation with a random gentleman at a store about private security firms and their business models, along with their rules and regulations and clients and his personal experience. It was a bit odd, as I have no idea how something like that started, but I didn't care. It really was interesting. Near the end of the lengthy conversation, he mentioned the nonexistent radio on my belt and asked me which PD I worked for. Then it hit me why he started talking about this stuff. I answered honestly that I'm not a police officer, I didn't have a radio on my belt, and I'm just a normal Joe with an LTC. That didn't seem to phase him at all, which was good. We still ended the conversation on a positive note.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

These stories help to support my belief that many people assume you are a cop when you are open carrying.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm These stories help to support my belief that many people assume you are a cop when you are open carrying.
Mostly because it is so unusual to see people open carrying. It was almost 2 years after the law went into effect before I spotted someone "in the wild" open carrying.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Flightmare wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm These stories help to support my belief that many people assume you are a cop when you are open carrying.
Mostly because it is so unusual to see people open carrying. It was almost 2 years after the law went into effect before I spotted someone "in the wild" open carrying.
I still haven't seen anyone OC.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm
Come to breakfast with us at Rudy's in Frisco on August 10th at 8am. You'll see a few. :)
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:51 am The area near my office is not the best, and there are two gas stations on the corner where folks have been assaulted in the past. So I try to avoid stopping there. But the other morning, I was late for a morning meeting and did not have time to get gas on the way in. So that evening I did stop there. As always happens, someone started to approach me, presumably to ask for money. He saw the 1911 on my hip, stopped about 10 feet away, and said "do you have a few extra bucks so I get some gas, officer?"

I responded that I was sorry, but I did not have any extra money. I didn't feel the need to correct his statement addressing me as "officer". Other than the gun, I wasn't wearing anything that would indicate I might be a LEO (no handcuffs, badges, etc). At the time, I felt that leaving it uncorrected would help to avoid any possible escalation in that particular case, based on my overall feel of the specific situation.

So my question. Are we under any legal, or ethical, obligation to correct someone who addresses us as "officer"?
Under those circumstances I would have done the same, he ASSUMED you were a LEO, no harm no foul and you were better off for it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm Not correcting someone else's false assumption is not the same thing as misrepresenting yourself. This can lead to some truly bizarre situations.

There’s a guy who owns a gas station near my old house in Grapevine, who was absolutely convinced that I am ex-CIA. How? Because in the middle of a conversation about retirement (I was newly retired at the time), he point blank asked me if I was retired CIA, and he wasn’t being sarcastic. It was a sincere question.....like he WANTED it to be true. (This guy is a real conspiracy nut too.) I was so taken aback by the question in the moment that my initial reaction was to grin and look down at the ground. It took me about 2-3 seconds too long to collect my thoughts and to answer in the negative, simply because I couldn’t believe I’d been asked the question, and that sealed the deal. He TOTALLY jumped to the conclusion that I am a retired CIA agent. I did deny it then and there, more than once, but he wasn’t having it. It was more interesting for him to have this fantasy about my identity, that’s it was for him to believe my denials. In fact, the denials just served to strengthen his resolve, and he took it as like a wink wink nudge nudge "our little secret" kind of thing.

I eventually let the whole thing drop and quit trying to deny it. He believed what he wanted to believe. People are like that.
The Annoyed Man. Double Nought Spy.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

03Lightningrocks

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm Not correcting someone else's false assumption is not the same thing as misrepresenting yourself. This can lead to some truly bizarre situations.

He would tell us but then he would have to kill us all. So it's better we don't know.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

anygunanywhere wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm {stuff deleted here}
what was that line from 'Hunt for Red October'? something along the lines of "I'm not field personnel, I'm an analyst."

member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm
If you don't make it to a breakfast in your area before September, the NRA is having a big meeting in Dallas. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”