San Marcos city council moves to ban carry at meetings - vote postponed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

San Marcos city council moves to ban carry at meetings - vote postponed

Post by jmorris »

Open and concealed, all open city meetings. Didn't see this elsewhere.

https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/6823
Last edited by jmorris on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jb2012

Re: San Marcos city council moves to ban carry at meetings

Post by jb2012 »

I guess they didn’t learn their lesson with the Hays County government building.

Topic author
jmorris

Post by jmorris »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 pm I guess they didn’t learn their lesson with the Hays County government building.
They are not making the city buildings 06/07, just posting all open city meeting while in progress. That is allowed. The resolution will be considered at tomorrow's meeting. Just trying to give a heads up.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

jmorris wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 pm
jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 pm I guess they didn’t learn their lesson with the Hays County government building.
They are not making the city buildings 06/07, just posting all open city meeting while in progress. That is allowed. The resolution will be considered at tomorrow's meeting. Just trying to give a heads up.
I understand, I was just referring to the debacle from 2015. Pretty left leaning anti gun local government. I happened to need to go into the tax office not long after they were ordered to take down their .06 (and .07?) signs, and was harrassed by the police the entire time I was in the building. Not only did they demand that I show ID (not required by non ltc visitors), they ran a bg check on me, questioned why I needed to carry, and proceeded to follow me the entire time I was in the building.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 pm
I understand, I was just referring to the debacle from 2015. Pretty left leaning anti gun local government. I happened to need to go into the tax office not long after they were ordered to take down their .06 (and .07?) signs, and was harrassed by the police the entire time I was in the building. Not only did they demand that I show ID (not required by non ltc visitors), they ran a bg check on me, questioned why I needed to carry, and proceeded to follow me the entire time I was in the building.
That sounds like there is justification for a police harassment law suit.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jb2012 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:04 pm
This is where a cease and desist letter from your lawyer, implying a suit for a very large percentage of their annual operating budget, may be a good idea. After sending it, carry a copy of it along with a copy of their response the next time you go to the courthouse.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

What am I missing? Are these meetings not on government property? Are they in a courtroom?
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

LucasMcCain wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 am What am I missing? Are these meetings not on government property? Are they in a courtroom?

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms ... LTC-16.pdf
Page 52.
PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER
(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster, in the room or rooms where a meeting of a governmental entity is held and if the meeting is an open meeting subject to Chapter 551, Government Code, and the entity provided notice as required by that chapter
I apparently misunderstood the statute before and thought that city council meetings were automatically off-limits by statute. I guess I didn't read the part where they needed to provide notice.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

CRIMINALS. 👏DONT. 👏OBEY. 👏LAWS. 👏
NRA Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 am This is where a cease and desist letter from your lawyer, implying a suit for a very large percentage of their annual operating budget, may be a good idea. After sending it, carry a copy of it along with a copy of their response the next time you go to the courthouse.
joe817 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:48 am That sounds like there is justification for a police harassment law suit.

Y’all are probably both correct. Hindsight, am I right?

Topic author
jmorris

Vote postponed

Post by jmorris »

On Tuesday evening, the San Marcos City Council discussed Resolution 2019-138R, which bans the concealed carry of handguns by License To Carry holders in rooms where open meetings of the City Council or any city board, committee or commission are held, and requires notice to be given through the posting of 30.06 signs. Council member Ed Mihalkanin made a motion to postpone action on this proposal in order to give the public further opportunity for input and comment. The measure will be considered again at the Council's next regular meeting on Tuesday, August 20.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

oljames3

Re: San Marcos city council moves to ban carry at meetings - Concealed Carrying Allowed

Post by oljames3 »

https://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/news/ci ... emain-same
Wednesday, August 21, 2019
Concealed carry of handguns will still be allowed in city meetings following a vote by City Council.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ELB

Re: San Marcos city council moves to ban carry at meetings - vote postponed

Post by ELB »

Interesting. Good to hear.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”