Lots of people buying guns/ammo at the border.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bbhack
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Lots of people buying guns/ammo at the border.

Post by bbhack »

LDP wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 am
bbhack wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:20 am
LDP wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:52 pm
bbhack wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:17 am I did some analysis. DPS publishes new LTCs by county by year (calendar or fiscal). They break down by ethnicity, but that was not what was interesting at the time.

I can't remember the source, but I got population by county. Using that, and the DPS stats, I got that the new LTCs in the El Paso county was on the very low side for Texas. The El Paso percentage of new LTCs in Texas hovers around 1.5% of Texas. Their population is almost twice that, so they are under-achievers. The pattern of new LTCs was consistent from 2017-2012. I quit looking after that. So, 6 years of low LTCs indicates a low number of LTCs. I can share the spreadsheet if you wish.
Do you maybe have and data on the general population of El Paso (or its counties) so that we can compare the ration of legals vs illegals&criminals to other localities?
What I am driving at is that if the ratio is lower in El Paso, it would reduce the pool of applicants and thus number of issued LTCs per capita.
The population of El Paso is approx. 3% of the state. The number of new LTCs is approx. 1.5% of total new issues per year. The 1.5% pattern is consistent from 2012-2017. It looks like El Paso has 1/3 the number of LTCs vs the median or mean county in Texas. The total number of LTCs is not published, but the longer term pattern can be assumed. It is an assumption, but with numbers.

The purpose of this analysis is to help answer the question "why did not someone shoot the demon?"
Thank you, sir.
Any chance you'd have some numbers to compare that to Houston or Dallas? (or both if you can)
Pretty please?
(I like numbers, sorry)
Here is the spreadsheet for 2017.
Attachments
texas-county-ltc.pdf
(47.92 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

WTR wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 pm While that area of El Paso is not necessarily anti gun, they are less likely to own and carry a gun. Also, many of the people in Walmart that day where Mexican Nationals. They could not legally carry.
All that and that those folks out there elected Bobby O'Rourke to represent them. Of course, there could be some closet folks that claim to be against guns for others all the while secretly carrying theirs to protect their family. ;-)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

SickSilverado wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm Saw a bunch of people buying and checking out guns here on the border. Most were going for hi-points and pocket pistols. And as far as ammo, most wanted FMJ's due to price I'm told. $7.99 was the cheapest 9mm ammo left and some felt that was too high. I saw several of them muzzle flash everyone around them and even practice drawing the pistol from their waistbands. Fingers were on triggers immediately after being handed the guns everytime saw an exchange. I'm glad these people aren't willing to be sitting ducks, but I hope they educate themselves before they put us all in danger.
. Saw some of the new shooters come to the range. One shot with his face turned away from the gun. Most did the one hand thing and let the muzzle rise put the gun almost 90* in the air. Saw one ND. I'm no expert or trainer but I tried to help where I could but most didn't want anything to do with me.
Exactly why some pro-2A people are so against constitutional carry.
-Ruark

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

LDP wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 am Why is it that when one wants to use a deadly weapon colloquially called "a car", one needs to go through mandatory classes and pass tests?
But when one wants to buy a deadly weapon called "a gun", no training or IQ tests are required?
I understand that some claim it is a right but do I really want to get accidentally shot by a dimwit who just (rightfully and righteously) bought a HiPoint at SprawlMart and is loading it up at a red light with his finger on the trigger?

Libtards have been crying for more gun control.
What I would like to ask for instead is "gun control training". If every gun owner is trainer properly on how to control their gun, we would have fewer self-inflicted GSWs, NDs, ADc and "accidents".
I know I am preaching to the choir but I am pretty scared of the standard untrained dimwit with a gun.
I better stay away from SprawlMarts for a while. I wonder how long before one of them makes it to the news with a hole in their leg or maybe a loved one.

Stay safe out there (not that it's up to you).
well that is what situational awareness is for. If it were a major problem it would be happening everywhere.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Ruark wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:16 pm
SickSilverado wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm Saw a bunch of people buying and checking out guns here on the border. Most were going for hi-points and pocket pistols. And as far as ammo, most wanted FMJ's due to price I'm told. $7.99 was the cheapest 9mm ammo left and some felt that was too high. I saw several of them muzzle flash everyone around them and even practice drawing the pistol from their waistbands. Fingers were on triggers immediately after being handed the guns everytime saw an exchange. I'm glad these people aren't willing to be sitting ducks, but I hope they educate themselves before they put us all in danger.
. Saw some of the new shooters come to the range. One shot with his face turned away from the gun. Most did the one hand thing and let the muzzle rise put the gun almost 90* in the air. Saw one ND. I'm no expert or trainer but I tried to help where I could but most didn't want anything to do with me.
Exactly why some pro-2A people are so against constitutional carry.
“If constitutional carry was passed there would be shootouts on every street corner and blood in the streets” - Every Democrat to every gun bill.

I wish I could yell from the rafters “like in Chicago!”
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”