Lots of people buying guns/ammo at the border.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SickSilverado
Posts in topic: 5

Lots of people buying guns/ammo at the border.

Post by SickSilverado »

Saw a bunch of people buying and checking out guns here on the border. Most were going for hi-points and pocket pistols. And as far as ammo, most wanted FMJ's due to price I'm told. $7.99 was the cheapest 9mm ammo left and some felt that was too high. I saw several of them muzzle flash everyone around them and even practice drawing the pistol from their waistbands. Fingers were on triggers immediately after being handed the guns everytime saw an exchange. I'm glad these people aren't willing to be sitting ducks, but I hope they educate themselves before they put us all in danger.
My mom is one of those uneducated gun owners. She has a new/unused shotgun for home defense. She doesn't know how to use it. She's had a round in the chamber for 3 years because she didn't know how to unload it. She "feels" safe because she has the gun, but sadly she's more likely to hurt herself or a neighbor. I'm taking her out tomorrow to show her how to use the gun. She's been eyeballing one of those tiny Derringer clones, I'm gonna try to show her some other guns though.
Bottom line, people are arming up on the border, so we may have some wild shootouts if something kicks off. Saw some of the new shooters come to the range. One shot with his face turned away from the gun. Most did the one hand thing and let the muzzle rise put the gun almost 90* in the air. Saw one ND. I'm no expert or trainer but I tried to help where I could but most didn't want anything to do with me. Anybody else see this in their area?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Lots of people buying guns/ammo at the border.

Post by C-dub »

Who are they gearing up to defend themsleves from?

Every time I think of someone asking if someone knows how to use something I think back to this.

I'm sure there's somewhere about a gun. Maybe the movie Feds, with Rebecca De Mornay, but I couldn't find it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m just going to quietly continue to build up my ammo stock, keep my training up and never leave home without my concealed carry.

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

This came from a few of the people around me at the gun counter and cashier. One said after the El Paso shooting they have to watch out. Another said Trump was sending the Klan to get Mexicans. Another said she just didn't want to be the only one without a gun. I feel bad, these people are honestly afraid that they're under attack. But it seems like a lot of them don't have a clue about guns or how to be safe. I was that guy at one point but I was aware of it and quickly sought training and advice.

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

One of these guys is gonna get spooked and light off a whole mag...and hit a few bystanders. I know I'm what most would call a dimwit, but some of these people were completely clueless about guns. Luckily there's a guy giving CHL classes down here for cheap, maybe some of these new owners will atleast take that. Would suck for them to go to prison for not knowing Texas gun laws when they only wanted to protect their families.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jb2012 »

SickSilverado wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm Saw a bunch of people buying and checking out guns here on the border. Most were going for hi-points and pocket pistols. And as far as ammo, most wanted FMJ's due to price I'm told. $7.99 was the cheapest 9mm ammo left and some felt that was too high.
I worked in gun sales for years, and it always amazed me how many people are comfortable defending their lives with “the cheapest gun we sell.”

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

jb2012 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 am
SickSilverado wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm Saw a bunch of people buying and checking out guns here on the border. Most were going for hi-points and pocket pistols. And as far as ammo, most wanted FMJ's due to price I'm told. $7.99 was the cheapest 9mm ammo left and some felt that was too high.
I worked in gun sales for years, and it always amazed me how many people are comfortable defending their lives with “the cheapest gun we sell.”
I’ve been blessed, I could go right now and spend $500.00 on a new gun and be just fine. Many can only spend $150.00 and even then would struggle to buy groceries that week. No, I I’m not a hi point fan, but for $150.00 they do the job. Many that poor already probably live in a rough neighborhood so they probably need the protection more than I do.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Tex1961 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:45 am
jb2012 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 am
I’ve been blessed, I could go right now and spend $500.00 on a new gun and be just fine. Many can only spend $150.00 and even then would struggle to buy groceries that week. No, I I’m not a hi point fan, but for $150.00 they do the job. Many that poor already probably live in a rough neighborhood so they probably need the protection more than I do.
:iagree: even a Hi Point is better than nothing at all. But they need to learn to use it
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

SickSilverado wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:17 pm This came from a few of the people around me at the gun counter and cashier. One said after the El Paso shooting they have to watch out. Another said Trump was sending the Klan to get Mexicans. Another said she just didn't want to be the only one without a gun. I feel bad, these people are honestly afraid that they're under attack. But it seems like a lot of them don't have a clue about guns or how to be safe. I was that guy at one point but I was aware of it and quickly sought training and advice.
That statement is a DIRECT result of the insanely dishonest mass news media propaganda machine. They are completely without morals or decency. And at best, it's their lust for blood to boost their ratings, that's the nicest thing I can say about it. :banghead: :mad5

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

LDP wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 am Why is it that when one wants to use a deadly weapon colloquially called "a car", one needs to go through mandatory classes and pass tests?
But when one wants to buy a deadly weapon called "a gun", no training or IQ tests are required?
I understand that some claim it is a right but do I really want to get accidentally shot by a dimwit who just (rightfully and righteously) bought a HiPoint at SprawlMart and is loading it up at a red light with his finger on the trigger?

Libtards have been crying for more gun control.
What I would like to ask for instead is "gun control training". If every gun owner is trainer properly on how to control their gun, we would have fewer self-inflicted GSWs, NDs, ADc and "accidents".
I know I am preaching to the choir but I am pretty scared of the standard untrained dimwit with a gun.
I better stay away from SprawlMarts for a while. I wonder how long before one of them makes it to the news with a hole in their leg or maybe a loved one.

Stay safe out there (not that it's up to you).
Maybe we should have mandatory classes before anyone uses or buys a hammer, knife or a ladder. I've had to take training to work in industrial environments and they are somewhat useful, but legally mandating such training would be silly. Gun safety is mostly common sense, and basic safety rules are easily avaiilable and are arguably simpler than say a ladder. The thing is though, it seems that the most egregious incidents involve people who have been properly trained. People such as FBI agent LEOs and even range personnel.

I have noticed the new TV adds reminding us that "kids will find it"
, I would love too see retailers attach a Big Brochures with the 4 Basic safety rules, and the Texas Lock your guns law. We don't need more laws mandating and complicating gun laws.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

LDP wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 am Why is it that when one wants to use a deadly weapon colloquially called "a car", one needs to go through mandatory classes and pass tests?
But when one wants to buy a deadly weapon called "a gun", no training or IQ tests are required?
I understand that some claim it is a right but do I really want to get accidentally shot by a dimwit who just (rightfully and righteously) bought a HiPoint at SprawlMart and is loading it up at a red light with his finger on the trigger?

What I would like to ask for instead is "gun control training". If every gun owner is trainer properly on how to control their gun, we would have fewer self-inflicted GSWs, NDs, ADc and "accidents".
I know I am preaching to the choir but I am pretty scared of the standard untrained dimwit with a gun.
I better stay away from SprawlMarts for a while. I wonder how long before one of them makes it to the news with a hole in their leg or maybe a loved one.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I understand your post, but stupid people have just as many rights as you do. It comes with being human, not with IQ.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 pm I’m just going to quietly continue to build up my ammo stock, keep my training up and never leave home without my concealed carry.
:iagree: And dry firing practice. I'll continue to carry openly with concealed backup.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Mainly the difference comes from the common misunderstanding that cars are regulated more than firearms. This is mostly flat out false. A drivers license is required to drive on public roadways, but not on private land. Nor is a DL required to buy a vehicle. An ID, yes, but not a DL. Same with insurance. That is only required to drive that vehicle on public roadways. Now, there may be some conditions of a bank or lein holder if the vehicle is financed, but that is their conditions for lending you that money to buy the vehicle.

Many states require a license to carry a handgun off of one's private property. Few do not. So, in those instances it would be true that vehicle are regulated more than firearms since even in those states more requirements are necessary to drive a vehicle on public roadways.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

We used to have a mandatory training program for idiots who MIGHT buy guns at some point in their life. It was called 'the draft', and it was abolished in the early 1970's.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”