News Reports of Texas Gun Laws Taking Effect 9/1/19

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

News Reports of Texas Gun Laws Taking Effect 9/1/19

Post by oljames3 »

I find it interesting to know what the media are reporting about Texas gun laws taking effect 9/1/19. Mostly bad reporting, so far. If you see other interesting reports, please post them here.

Houston Chronicle
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 298187.php
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 195185.php

KVEO Brownsville (with DA)
https://www.kveo.com/news/district-atto ... for-texas/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: News Reports of Texas Gun Laws Taking Effect 9/1/19

Post by Papa_Tiger »

All three of these articles just show

A) How convoluted the law was as it was written - carrying a handgun in a place of worship was already legal unless the licensee was given effective notice under 30.06/7. To know this you had to read the whole of TPC 46.035 and get to section i.
B) What poor reading comprehension skills many journalists have
C) How much copy/paste goes on in the media - the first two slide shows are pretty much identical. This could be because they are the same parent organization...

Boils my blood that with this reporting, people are going to think that "places of worship" just got more dangerous because people can carry handguns there now. As Alice Tripp said in her testimony - (paraphrase) "We've been carrying in churches for a long time without any problems".

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am All three of these articles just show

A) How convoluted the law was as it was written - carrying a handgun in a place of worship was already legal unless the licensee was given effective notice under 30.06/7. To know this you had to read the whole of TPC 46.035 and get to section i.
B) What poor reading comprehension skills many journalists have
C) How much copy/paste goes on in the media - the first two slide shows are pretty much identical. This could be because they are the same parent organization...

Boils my blood that with this reporting, people are going to think that "places of worship" just got more dangerous because people can carry handguns there now. As Alice Tripp said in her testimony - (paraphrase) "We've been carrying in churches for a long time without any problems".
:iagree:

KLB

Post by KLB »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am A) How convoluted the law was as it was written
Simply written, easily understood laws are an aspirational goal. We should strive for them while nevertheless recognizing we'll never entirely get there. I once wrote just one chapter of a code of ordinances for the city for which I was an Assistant City Attorney. I worked long and hard, trying to make it as logical, organized, and simple as possible. I felt good about the end product, even though part of me knew there would be problems. And indeed there were. That chapter's now been through several revisions, and while it's better, it's a long way from perfect.

All that said, even the first version of the chapter was a big improvement over the previous situation, where the ordinances were not codified in one place and had gaping holes.

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

KSAT 12 San Antonio, 8/14/19
12 new Texas laws going into effect Sept. 1
https://www.ksat.com/news/politics/12-t ... eptember-1

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

KLTV Wichita Falls, 21 August, 2019

https://www.kltv.com/2019/08/22/new-tex ... ext-month/

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”