Churches arm, train congregants in wake of mass shootings

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Churches arm, train congregants in wake of mass shootings

Post by oljames3 »

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Churches arm, train congregants in wake of mass shootings

Post by Oldgringo »

Running! They must have a younger congregation than ours?

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Had a full day of training like this at our church this past Saturday. Unfortunately the fallen (and falling) world we live in makes this necessary.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

It's the only sensible thing to do.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I am a member of the Emergency Response Team at our church. When i joined, I was cautioned not to use the phrase "Security Team" as we (Emergency Response Team) are not licensed to be a Security Team (could be sued if we used that term). The article states that the people that go through the training mentioned become a state licensed guard and then volunteer for the church who pays the company that trained their members to be guards.

We have some off duty police (most in uniform) as our first line of defense and we carry radios so that we can call the police to respond if needed. We are allowed to carry concealed if we desire but not required to do so. We can respond if the urgency of the matter dictates but I worry about getting shot by law enforcement if I had to draw the pistol.

Each church has to consider the best path for their protection.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Oldgringo wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:57 pm Running! They must have a younger congregation than ours?
LOL... yeah, the running thing would eliminate me. I would have to work on a fast limp walk. I can usually work my way up to full speed after thirty or so steps. :biggrinjester:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I went to the website of the company mentioned in the article and looked at their gallery. There are a couple of photos that question at least one of the Safety Rules. They may be a great company but those photos cause me angst.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

flechero

Post by flechero »

warnmar10 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 pm It's the only sensible thing to do.
:iagree: I wish all Churches and schools would train for it.

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

KR Training Active Shooter/School Safety
This course is applicable to churches as well as schools.
https://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/C ... afety.html
In 2013, the Texas Legislature passed SB 1857, entitled "The Texas School Safety Training Act." This bill established a process by which license to carry (LTC) instructors can provide a state certified training program for school districts and school employees who wish to have employees with LTCs carry handguns on campus.

In 2017, DPS began offering an instructor certification course to a limited number of License To Carry instructors. KR Training has 3 instructors certified to offer the School Safety course: Karl Rehn, Paul Martin and Tina Maldonado.

Karl is also certified by ALERRT to teach the CRASE presentation, and Paul is certified to teach the Stop the Bleed course.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I took the CRASE class (with Stop the Bleed) at KR Training in July. Karl and the other instructors did a very good job with the class. It is well worth a weekend of your time to take the class. Paul Howe (Combat Shooting and Tactics) also offers a CRASE class. It is a bit more advanced, was three days when I went through the class several years ago, and most students were law enforcement. One can't go wrong with either class.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”