going to AZ and NM

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
tommyg
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:59 am
Location: Dale, TX

going to AZ and NM

#1

Post by tommyg » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:37 pm

Does anyone have any info on gun and knife laws for AZ and NM

we are driving to the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks :rules:
N.R.A. Patron Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 18207
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: going to AZ and NM

#2

Post by Keith B » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:46 pm

www.handgunlaw.us is your friend.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4


DXer
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:26 pm
Location: DFW Mesquite

Re: going to AZ and NM

#3

Post by DXer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:26 pm

There are a couple of apps available for your cell phone that provide a lot of state by state info. Just be sure you don't get a wild thought of crossing into California. Find a temporary home for the gear in Arizona.

User avatar

LabRat
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: going to AZ and NM

#4

Post by LabRat » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Both states have sizable Indian reservations and Tribal Lands. I don't know the laws, but I suspect they may be different from the typical State laws.
Some research in that area would be advisable. That's sovereign territory, not much help from the State or Federal authorities.

Edit to add: Keith B's advice above has some information on the Tribal Lands as well.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you....but it's still on my list.
In filling out an application, where it says, "In case of Emergency notify...", I answered "a doctor"
This is not legal advice.


Weldonjr2001
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:29 am

Re: going to AZ and NM

#5

Post by Weldonjr2001 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am

In researching gun laws for a trip from Texas to Utah last year, in which I was to pass through portions of New Mexico and Colorado, I found that while New Mexico honors the Texas LTC, you can only carry ONE concealed handgun at a time.
So for the portion of the trip through New Mexico, I removed my pocket carried secondary handgun from the pocket holster and placed it in the center console. It went back into the pocket the second I was out of New Mexico.
Pretty petty in my opinion, but ........

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8236
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: going to AZ and NM

#6

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am

Weldonjr2001 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am
In researching gun laws for a trip from Texas to Utah last year, in which I was to pass through portions of New Mexico and Colorado, I found that while New Mexico honors the Texas LTC, you can only carry ONE concealed handgun at a time.
So for the portion of the trip through New Mexico, I removed my pocket carried secondary handgun from the pocket holster and placed it in the center console. It went back into the pocket the second I was out of New Mexico.
Pretty petty in my opinion, but ........
The one gun only law is a bit odd. I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this one.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2376
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: going to AZ and NM

#7

Post by Flightmare » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am
Weldonjr2001 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:59 am
In researching gun laws for a trip from Texas to Utah last year, in which I was to pass through portions of New Mexico and Colorado, I found that while New Mexico honors the Texas LTC, you can only carry ONE concealed handgun at a time.
So for the portion of the trip through New Mexico, I removed my pocket carried secondary handgun from the pocket holster and placed it in the center console. It went back into the pocket the second I was out of New Mexico.
Pretty petty in my opinion, but ........
The one gun only law is a bit odd. I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this one.
If I were to guess, the idea would be that if they found ONE gun on a bad guy and removed it, they would be assured that was the only gun on him and wouldn't need to search him further. You know, because bad guys obey the law and such.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

troglodyte
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Hockley County
Contact:

Re: going to AZ and NM

#8

Post by troglodyte » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:37 am

You can always open carry your spare gun. NM is an open carry state.
Talon Firearms Training
License To Carry Instructor
School Safety Instructor
NRA Instructor - Basic pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3087
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: going to AZ and NM

#9

Post by oljames3 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:26 pm

troglodyte wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:37 am
You can always open carry your spare gun. NM is an open carry state.
In New Mexico, a person can carry one concealed handgun but any number of openly carried handguns.
10.8.2.16 TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF LICENSE:

A. Carrying only handguns listed on license. No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one concealed handgun at any given time.
https://www.dps.nm.gov/templates/g5_hyd ... LLABLE.pdf

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-st ... -gun-laws/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 11042
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: going to AZ and NM

#10

Post by Oldgringo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Once in GCNP, you can not carry in any building where federal employees may be in presence. Additionally, the North Rim is much less crowded and less commercial than the South Rim. Just sayin'.....have a nice trip.

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6129
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: going to AZ and NM

#11

Post by Liberty » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:49 am

Oldgringo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 pm
Once in GCNP, you can not carry in any building where federal employees may be in presence. Additionally, the North Rim is much less crowded and less commercial than the South Rim. Just sayin'.....have a nice trip.
This is true, but on the other hand on the South Rim, they are more Handicap friendly and accessible.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”