G.W. Bush Library & CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mcscanner
Posts in topic: 2

G.W. Bush Library & CHL

Post by mcscanner »

Christmas trip to visit and I've never been there before. I did some online checking for carrying and didn't find anything. For some reason it never crossed my mind it was Federal Property. Two sets of doors at right angle so the "real" entrance was blocked from direct view. Walked thru the 2nd set and there it was... A one station "TSA Airport Checkpoint" with plastic tray, x-ray belt and walk thru magnetometer. I said to my date I needed to return to the car, I'll be back.

This year's decorations are from 2007, Parks & Recreation theme. Very nice and well done overall. Well... except for that Federal Property thing. :rules:

Mike
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Jago668

Re: G.W. Bush Library & CHL

Post by Jago668 »

mcscanner wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:56 am Christmas trip to visit and I've never been there before. I did some online checking for carrying and didn't find anything. For some reason it never crossed my mind it was Federal Property. Two sets of doors at right angle so the "real" entrance was blocked from direct view. Walked thru the 2nd set and there it was... A one station "TSA Airport Checkpoint" with plastic tray, x-ray belt and walk thru magnetometer. I said to my date I needed to return to the car, I'll be back.

This year's decorations are from 2007, Parks & Recreation theme. Very nice and well done overall. Well... except for that Federal Property thing. :rules:

Mike
Yeah I had to take my boots off for it. All but 1 of the guards was cool, but one was not. If you dig into the faq for it on their website you can find that they say no weapons as a federal facility, and that they have a metal detector checkpoint.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

I think I got the cranky one. He wanted my belt placed in the tray, but I did get to keep my shoes on. Pants have extra inch in waist for IWB. Without belt I was operating with one free hand. Explanation not needed... :???:
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Russell wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:14 pm I always thought the libraries were private property and paid for by the outgoing president himself.

Silly me. Of course it's our tax dollars paying for it.
My understanding is the construction is paid for by donations, but the upkeep is paid for by the fed.
NRA Benefactor Member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Jago668 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:35 pm
Russell wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:14 pm I always thought the libraries were private property and paid for by the outgoing president himself.

Silly me. Of course it's our tax dollars paying for it.
My understanding is the construction is paid for by donations, but the upkeep is paid for by the fed.
When I read the web page, it says the construction was done by a private foundation (as in donations). After construction was complete, the library was donated to the feds (National Archives). Interestingly, Dallas CAD says the land is owned by SMU Corp (11.45 acres) and the building is owned by the George W. Bush Foundation. The National Archives (federal government) runs the library.

I am not sure if the federal law on government property really applies or not. Getting through the checkpoints is a whole separate question though.
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

After reading the comment about the library being built by donations I suddenly thought about the presidential library for President Trump. I bet that thing will be something to behold with all the money he has.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I visited GWH Bush’s library at TAMU a while back. I had just finished a week of school at the fire school so I was in my full volunteer firefighter uniform, but I had just put on my “traveling gear” for driving home. I was on the way out when I noticed the Library and thought i would stop in. I figured it was run by the feds do I left my SD stuff locked in my truck and went in. Sure enough there was a full body metal detector and a couple or three uniformed guards. But when they saw MY uniform they smiled, said “that’s ok” and waved me past the metal detectors. I could have carried anything I wanted.

His library has inside something most libraries dont — a TBF Avenger like the one he flew in WWII.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”