Is it just me? Downtown Austin or any large city

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 1

Is it just me? Downtown Austin or any large city

Post by MJR »

Maybe it’s just me getting older (72). Maybe never noticed it before.
Yesterday my wife and i went to the RV show in the Austin Convention Center. Ended up parking on 7th St at a city lot.
The number of homeless or whatever we had to walk thru to get to the Center was not a good feeling. In fact it is the very first time i can remember being so glad i was armed. Several people tried to engage us in conversation and a couple just stood in front of us. This is at noon.
The same thing an hour later on the return.
Maybe just age but not interested in downtown Austin any longer. When you are really glad you carry i see no need to be there.
Austin has plenty to offer outside of the downtown area. Problem is it’s just not Austin.
Yes my hand was in my right pocket way too many times on that walk.

thenick_ttu

Re: Is it just me? Downtown Austin or any large city

Post by thenick_ttu »

Downtown Austin is a cesspool and it’s getting worse. I’m 36 and a fairly big dude and I feel uncomfortable walking through downtown, even at midday. So you’re definitely not alone. On numerous occasions they’ve tried to engage me about something. When you don’t give them what they want, some can get confrontational.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

thenick_ttu wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:11 am Downtown Austin is a cesspool and it’s getting worse. I’m 36 and a fairly big dude and I feel uncomfortable walking through downtown, even at midday. So you’re definitely not alone. On numerous occasions they’ve tried to engage me about something. When you don’t give them what they want, some can get confrontational.
A sane person would be armed in Downtown Austin at any time of day.There is a pretty big campaign to recall the mayor and city council, but the critical mass of braindead, social justice warrior liberals there makes it seem like a lost cause.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

thenick_ttu wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:11 am Downtown Austin is a cesspool and it’s getting worse. I’m 36 and a fairly big dude and I feel uncomfortable walking through downtown, even at midday. So you’re definitely not alone. On numerous occasions they’ve tried to engage me about something. When you don’t give them what they want, some can get confrontational.
Walked through a few years ago. It does look like it's getting worse. Not like things were back in the 90's at all.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The leftist influence from Kalifornia is a huge problem in Austin and ir is only going to get worse. Texas needs to pass a bill forbidding Kalifornians from migrating here. I don't care what they say. You will never get the indoctrination they received in Kali out of them. These people like to "feel" they are somehow enlightened. When in reality they are delusional. They will go down in flames before admitting their caustic ways don't work.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:32 pm The leftist influence from Kalifornia is a huge problem in Austin and ir is only going to get worse. Texas needs to pass a bill forbidding Kalifornians from migrating here. I don't care what they say. You will never get the indoctrination they received in Kali out of them. These people like to "feel" they are somehow enlightened. When in reality they are delusional. They will go down in flames before admitting their caustic ways don't work.
They are the "uber woke fun police".

JRG

Post by JRG »

the wife and I are currently in Tucson, AZ on a 9 week mission project. We/I get approached nearly everywhere we go in the city or the surrounding areas. It doesn't matter if it is just stopping to fill the tank with diesel, or coming out of Walmart, someone approaches us all the time. I have started putting my hand out in the stop position before they get too close. Sometimes even that doesn't work though.

Joe

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:39 am Not just you. Ran across these this morning. Others are noticing.....

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... rs-market/

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... elessness/
LOL...“We have an ordinance in the city against aggressively confronting and I expect our police department to enforce that ordinance because it against the law in Austin to aggressively confront someone,” said Adler.

Another typical Liberal solution.... Make a law and all will follow it... So how is that working for you liberal cities......

03Lightningrocks

What is it going to take for Americans to finally get fed up and put a stop to some of this sick leftist garbage. They are ruining our society. From transvestites doing reading sessions for elementary students to illegal aliens taking over our country. These people are so afraid to be thought of as "not woke" they are allowing our country be destroyed. Look at the damage being done to Europe from muslim immigrants. They don't assimilate. they dominate. There are so many issues working against the country. I just don't know what it is going to take to get people to wake up.

cirus

Post by cirus »

The older I get the less use i have for the human race. There are good people out there but they're outnumbered my the trash of society. I avoid going out in public as much as I can but when i do go I'm armed. Luckily I live in a small town of about 25,000 and we don't have this problem like Austin. In the last year or so though we've had our first panhandlers show up. If they come anywhere near my truck while at a red light I give them the most hateful evil look possible. It works. :evil2:

cirus

Post by cirus »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 pm I just don't know what it is going to take to get people to wake up.
When you have people being drug out of the cars and murdered in the street. The majority of people are clueless and are wrapped up in their fantasy world, Facebook, and cell phone.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 pm What is it going to take for Americans to finally get fed up and put a stop to some of this sick leftist garbage. They are ruining our society. From transvestites doing reading sessions for elementary students to illegal aliens taking over our country. These people are so afraid to be thought of as "not woke" they are allowing our country be destroyed. Look at the damage being done to Europe from muslim immigrants. They don't assimilate. they dominate. There are so many issues working against the country. I just don't know what it is going to take to get people to wake up.
Not many people care about trans reading books in a library. What they do care about is when their daughters consistently loose or can’t play women's sports because it’s dominated by trans... wait for it, it’s getting there
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Took my youngest to Austin to visit UT this past weekend. Loved UT but definitely did not like Austin. The drunks (non college version) and homeless are everywhere. Downtown is worse, but even around campus it's bad.

We had a good discussion about life choices, government policy vs Charity, outcomes of liberalism, etc. We gave a guy laying on a bus stop bench our leftover pizza (he was appreciative). Spending the evening walking around some of downtown was enlightening and hopefully took some of the scare out of being unfamiliar with the problems. Living in suburbia can be insulating. We'll see what decision is made, soon.

We managed to score some tickets to ACL Live and really enjoyed Doyle Bramhall II, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, The Greyhounds and others fill the night with some great music. Some of the best guitar playing since Stevie Ray, IMO. Really liked the venue too, except for having to disarm to enter. :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks

TreyHouston wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:22 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:07 pm What is it going to take for Americans to finally get fed up and put a stop to some of this sick leftist garbage. They are ruining our society. From transvestites doing reading sessions for elementary students to illegal aliens taking over our country. These people are so afraid to be thought of as "not woke" they are allowing our country be destroyed. Look at the damage being done to Europe from muslim immigrants. They don't assimilate. they dominate. There are so many issues working against the country. I just don't know what it is going to take to get people to wake up.
Not many people care about trans reading books in a library. What they do care about is when their daughters consistently loose or can’t play women's sports because it’s dominated by trans... wait for it, it’s getting there
I respectfully disagree. I think the majority of Americans object to transexuals reading books to their children. This attempt at indoctrinating children to believe a sick mentally deranged lifestyle is somehow normal is not acceptable.

https://personhood.org/2019/06/10/libra ... tory-hour/

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/ ... t-children

Here is a local example of just what these people represent.
https://capforcanada.com/convicted-chil ... -children/

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”