Patience Paid Off

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Patience Paid Off

Post by Lynyrd »

I won't go resurrect my post from a few years back, but this post will share new details of my ongoing effort with the owners of my company to change their mind about carrying while at work. You may remember that I was able to get our employee policy rewritten to allow CC with written authorization (even though there are still 30.06/30.07 signs up). What's new is that a few months ago we had to watch some training videos and sign off that we had received refresher training in fire extinguishers, blood borne pathogens, active shooter incidents, etc.

The active shooter video prompted a discussion afterwards in my bosses office. The advice in the video was to run, hide, then fight if necessary using whatever objects were available. He was commenting on one of the videos and I asked him what he would do in an active shooter situation. His immediate reply was, "I'm going to get behind you!" He knows I carry all the time because he is the one who granted me permission. Well, this was the perfect lead in for me to start the discussion over about why he had not pursued any weapons practice, or any attempt at getting his LTC. Guess what? He listened. And for the first time, he asked to see my gun. We locked the door to his office, I unholstered, unloaded, and cleared my 45 auto, and handed it to him. We continued to talk for a while and finally he admitted that he wasn't uncomfortable with the thought of people carrying a pistol if they could handle one and be accurate with it, but he thought he probably couldn't hit the side of a car. So I invited out to my place to do a little shooting. And guess what? He came.

I set up some targets and let him try out several of my pistols. He was a bit nervous at first, but after a while he started to feel more comfortable. A few weeks later he came back out to shoot some more. This time I set up a silhouette target and ran him through the course of fire for the LTC test. Guess what? He passed. Fast forward a couple of weeks and he calls me into his office and says he has booked an LTC course for Saturday and wants me to coach him on how to handle it. Guess what? He passed. Plastic in hand as of a few weeks ago.

So a 65 year old man who was very much anti anyone carrying a gun in his place of business (he is one of the owners) has changed his attitude drastically over the last few years. He now has his LTC no less!! I cannot count how many patient conversations I have had with this man about this subject. And guess what? He told me his wife is going to take the course next month!

We have TWO new converts to our club of 2A patriots.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Patience Paid Off

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Excellent work!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Well done :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Outstanding job! :hurry:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

This is the way.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:34 pm This is the way.
This is the way.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

:thewave
Charlie

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Well done sir!

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

Nice! Next step is to get him to remove the 30.06/.07 signage.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Way to go!!!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

EP45

Post by EP45 »

That is great. I had mentioned in another thread that my house of worship has 30.06/.07 signage. This was implemented by our informal security leader who is retired career Army.

Rationale: I don’t want individuals I do not approve of carrying a weapon, would be my guess. Do not want chaos in an active shooter situation.

I am still arguing this and am in the process of writing a letter to clergy. I spoke to another member of the security team who was also retired Army about the signs and he said he just did not feel strongly about the issue.

I kept thinking, both of these gentlemen took an oath to the US Constitution yet their actions are violating this oath in respect to infringing on 2nd amendment rights; at least in spirit as the US Constitution can be construed as limiting the Federal government. That being said, I believe those rights precede the US Constitution and are God given natural rights.

I have also been looking at the Texas Constitution which I believe states,
“Sec. 23. RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.”

Regardless, great job and hoping I can convert some of those who are supposed to be converted. Not going to try my place of employment, to Corporate and woke.
:hurry: :hurry:

priusron

Post by priusron »

Ep45, does the security team carry? I would take my pastor out to lunch and inform him I was going to find another place to worship and why. See what his response was. Fortunately I ran the class for my former pastor to receive his LTC. The other pastors I now have all know I carry and have no objection.

EP45

Post by EP45 »

Priusron, our security team does carry when they are in the church; times when people at church without security team members. I carry (for the last 18 years at church) but had to get a letter back in April 2019 allowing me to carry. I would be interested to see the workings of a legal fight where the informal security team (all LTC carriers) v. a visiting LTC carrier (not allowed by the 30.06/30.07 signage and lack of permission).

I was impressed with this point as Lynyrd was able to do some conversion of anti-gunners. Another interesting similar episode was when I was talking to one of the smaller church's pastor in the are (happens to be a family member). He said he did not know how he would feel w/ LTC carriers carrying in his church; basically not sure he would allow. I simply stated, no need to wonder, any time I have been in your church I have been carrying (no signage). He kept saying he did not know how he felt.

My contention is that I really should not have to change the mind of pro-2nd amendment individuals. In truth, many of these people still have not had the enlightening experience that Lynyrd talked about. Sending a letter to my pastor today via snail mail today; tough because I have been going here almost 40 years. Hope it pays off and only have about a year of patience.
Thanks

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

AdioSS wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:36 pm Nice! Next step is to get him to remove the 30.06/.07 signage.
That's going to be tough, but I am working on it. Enough baby steps can sometimes lead to the goal.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”