DPS unveils new design for LTC card

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS unveils new design for LTC card

Post by chasfm11 »

Boxerrider wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:39 pm
MJR wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:33 pm What is the reason for two cards: LTC & Driver Lic?
Why not all in one?
I want to be able to show an ID without revealing my license to carry. Most employers want a copy of your driver license when hired, check-writing, purchases that require a minimum age, etc..
I agree that we shouldn't need a card at all.
And those of us who are occasionally forced to travel to States in the People's Republic (read book by the same name) don't want to reveal an LTC. To get to Pennsylvania when driving, we have to go through at least 12 miles of Maryland. The Maryland State Police have a history of trying to seek out concealed license holders from other States and may not honor FOPA.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

E10 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pm I'd be happier if it had the Real ID features that are on the Driver License. Imagine using your LTC at the airport TSA checkpoint. :coolgleamA:
I've used mine at my doctors office.... Didn't even get a raised eyebrow... Of course my doctor wants me to take him to the range.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

E10 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pm I'd be happier if it had the Real ID features that are on the Driver License. Imagine using your LTC at the airport TSA checkpoint. :coolgleamA:
I prefer traveling without the full body search.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Mel

Post by Mel »

jmorris wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 am
I prefer traveling without the full body search.
I have a knee replacement and always opt for the "Opposite Sex Pat-Down"!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Why have to download the picture of the LTC just to see it?

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

MJR wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:04 am One last question on the card please.
What is the reasoning behind not being able to have it on your phone (not carrying physical card)?
You can have your credit card on it, why not driver lic or LTC?
Great forum. Now understand why LTC not built into driver license.
Even if you could so you want to give your unlocked phone to an officer to carry back to his car. Even if you are not hiding something, that's like offering to allow a search without a warrant. I don't think that is a direction I think I want things to go regarding privacy, searches etc. I'd rather keep my phone in my possession where I can video, take pictures, record sound etc. Again, probably never something I really need to worry about but on principle, I don't think using my phone for this is a direction i'd like to go. I guess I don't care if other people want to do this as long as long as it's not required but maybe some things not considered when asking the question.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Why the black & white photo? Seems like a step backwards.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

flechero

Post by flechero »

Maybe a dumb question but why the need to redo the LTC? Is there an issue with forgeries or people making/altering the real ones?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:10 pm Why the black & white photo? Seems like a step backwards.
I agree, but I think all the information is lazer etched. including the picture. The etched image would be difficult to duplicate. I think that B and W is sttep backwards though. They probably changed the LTC to this format because they are printed (etched?) on the same equipment as Drivers Licenses and ID cards.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:06 am
ScottDLS wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:10 pm Why the black & white photo? Seems like a step backwards.
I agree, but I think all the information is lazer etched. including the picture. The etched image would be difficult to duplicate. I think that B and W is sttep backwards though. They probably changed the LTC to this format because they are printed (etched?) on the same equipment as Drivers Licenses and ID cards.
Will the new DL's and ID go to B&W too?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

ScottDLS wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:37 am

Will the new DL's and ID go to B&W too?
Yes.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

couzin

Post by couzin »

E10 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pmImagine using your LTC at the airport TSA checkpoint. :coolgleamA:
TSA already knows you have a concealed carry license. When I checked in for a flight two years ago, I was sent to the secondary inspection. TSA guy said "...you have a concealed carry license, do you have a firearm on you or in your carryon bag or your checked luggage." I said no - they opened everything and checked anyway. Attached an extra tag, I think it was blue, put the checked luggage on the conveyor, and back we went to the regular screening gate.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

couzin wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:26 am
E10 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:43 pmImagine using your LTC at the airport TSA checkpoint. :coolgleamA:
TSA already knows you have a concealed carry license. When I checked in for a flight two years ago, I was sent to the secondary inspection. TSA guy said "...you have a concealed carry license, do you have a firearm on you or in your carryon bag or your checked luggage." I said no - they opened everything and checked anyway. Attached an extra tag, I think it was blue, put the checked luggage on the conveyor, and back we went to the regular screening gate.
That is quite unusual. The only data they have unless you're in PreCheck program is the Name/DOB that you enter when you make your reservation. Until you present your ID they really don't have much at all. Could an airline check in employee have seen your LTC when you were checking in and flagged you?

E10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E10 »

TSA already knows you have a concealed carry license. When I checked in for a flight two years ago, I was sent to the secondary inspection. TSA guy said "...you have a concealed carry license, do you have a firearm on you or in your carryon bag or your checked luggage?"
What airport? I was unaware that the state shares that information with the TSA. Does that comply with the privacy protections of the Texas licensing law?

I think if I were not in a hurry to catch a plane, and wished to be a jerk, I might decline to answer such a question. They're gonna look in the carry-on anyway, and if I've checked a bag with a firearm, it will show in the X-ray and have the necessary form taped to the container. I would find it highly offensive that I'm being targeted for being a responsible gun owner and obeying the law. But, then again, that would probably create extra aggravation and possibly cause me to miss a flight. On the other hand, it would make a good story to post on TexasCHLForum.com.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

E10 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm
TSA already knows you have a concealed carry license. When I checked in for a flight two years ago, I was sent to the secondary inspection. TSA guy said "...you have a concealed carry license, do you have a firearm on you or in your carryon bag or your checked luggage?"
What airport? I was unaware that the state shares that information with the TSA. Does that comply with the privacy protections of the Texas licensing law?

I think if I were not in a hurry to catch a plane, and wished to be a jerk, I might decline to answer such a question. They're gonna look in the carry-on anyway, and if I've checked a bag with a firearm, it will show in the X-ray and have the necessary form taped to the container. I would find it highly offensive that I'm being targeted for being a responsible gun owner and obeying the law. But, then again, that would probably create extra aggravation and possibly cause me to miss a flight. On the other hand, it would make a good story to post on TexasCHLForum.com.
:iagree: :iagree:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”