Costco prohibit carry - No signs posted

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Costco prohibit carry - No signs posted

Post by ghostrider »

PLEASE resist the impulse to educate business owners/managers so that they know more efficiently how to keep ALL of us out of their stores!! Just STOP it.

If they don’t know that their signs have no value, too dang bad. It's their JOB to know. It's NOT your job to help them figure out how to infringe upon our rights.

FTR, I carry in Costco every time I go. It’s not 30.06/07 posted, so I don’t care. And I don’t inform people that I’m carrying. Unless you showed that employee your gun, he/she literally had no knowledge of what you were carrying. If asked, you could have said that it was your cellphone, or an insulin pump, or a portable cardiac monitor, or whatever. It’s none of her business to ask, so you’re under no obligation to tell her. Tell her whatever will make her go away.
As usual, TAM clearly articulates what many of us were probably thinking. :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Some things are a little off with this. Why tell someone you have a gun? Deny it. Tell them it's a phone a pager or handcuffs. I went to Sam's today. I didn't allow anyone within 6 feet of me. How did they manage to get within bumping distance? Aren't we suppose to be doing the social distancing thing?

Sam's club is friendlier. I've even open carried in there.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
mkc4091
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mkc4091 »

1st the employee bumped into me from behind, then the manager was inches from me telling me in my face I can not carry firearm in Costco. They both violated the social distance rule. I better not get Coronavirus from them.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Proper response: "I am not carrying a gun, THAT IS MY INSULIN PUMP! HOW DARE YOU EMBARRASS ME LIKE THIS IN PUBLIC! LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Works wonders. You don't have to tell anybody SQUAT unless they're law enforcement.

Also - don't carry in Costco, your membership agreement is a signed pledge that you won't (as others have pointed out).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
mkc4091

Post by mkc4091 »

OldCannon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm Proper response: "I am not carrying a gun, THAT IS MY INSULIN PUMP! HOW DARE YOU EMBARRASS ME LIKE THIS IN PUBLIC! LEAVE ME ALONE! LEAVE ME ALONE!"
Lesson learned. Thanks for that advice. At first that employee after bumped to me, she immediately told me that you can not carry a firearm in Costco and she said she will go get the manager, she makes it sounds like I'm in big trouble and violated something that's why I told her I have the license to carry. She didn't ask me if I'm carrying a gun. But I'll remember your advice how to response. I wouldn't say that's my insulin pump.
Last edited by mkc4091 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

Do they have a membership fee? If so I believe i'd want my money back!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

chamberc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chamberc »

crazy2medic wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm Do they have a membership fee? If so I believe i'd want my money back!
You agreed to the condition.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

chamberc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:26 pm
crazy2medic wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:25 pm Do they have a membership fee? If so I believe i'd want my money back!
You agreed to the condition.
I shop at sam's club and open carry, costco has never been an option because of that rule, but if I wasn't aware of it and was informed after the fact I'd want my money back!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

OldCannon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm
Also - don't carry in Costco, your membership agreement is a signed pledge that you won't (as others have pointed out).
Nope, it’s not a pledge; their policy states:

Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.

Since this does not conform to the requirements outlined by the State of Texas to meet effective notice it means absolutely nothing to those with an LTC. Might as well say all patrons must wear pink undies, unless they’re going to stop everyone at the door to check (either for pink undies or a gun) it’s just word with no teeth.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I agree with SigM4, Costco's written statement does not comply with the Texas law requirement for written effective notice.

(3) “Written communication” means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”;  or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height;  and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.

chamberc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chamberc »

Caliber wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:12 pm I agree with SigM4, Costco's written statement does not comply with the Texas law requirement for written effective notice.

(3) “Written communication” means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following:  “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”;  or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height;  and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.
In this case it's irrelevant as he's been give verbal notice.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

Something about this post doesn't seem to pass the smell test. 1. LTC holder doesn't know that verbal notice can be enforced? 2. Social distancing isn't be practiced by Costco employee? 3. An "accidental" bumping and the employee assumed what he feels is a firearm? 4. Posted admitted he was carrying? 5. Maybe the employee noticed and was interested? Etc, etc, etc....
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

SigM4 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 pm
OldCannon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm
Nope, it’s not a pledge; their policy states:

Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.

Since this does not conform to the requirements outlined by the State of Texas to meet effective notice it means absolutely nothing to those with an LTC. Might as well say all patrons must wear pink undies, unless they’re going to stop everyone at the door to check (either for pink undies or a gun) it’s just word with no teeth.
Correct. It’s not a pledge at all. It simply states what their policy is. So what? My policy is I don’t care what your policy is, so what are you going to do about it? Your company can have a stupid policy and I can ignore it. If it’s important enough to your company, then take active steps to enforce it, meanwhile I’ll take active steps to ignore it, all the while secure in the knowledge that I am not breaking the law. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

As I have no duty to respond to that employees question at all, never mind truthfully , I would have simply said I accept your apology for bumping into me, and please don't touch my colostomy bag again. And walked on.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

When the employee touched you (somewhat inappropriately I might add) look at them and say, "I am Borg...prepare to be assimilated." :mrgreen:

I'm sure that no where in Costco's membership policy does it say that it gives their employees the right to covertly frisk you.
Could this fall under Texas Penal Code Chapter 22.01?
Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person:
(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with
another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the
other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.
If a store employee just walks up to me and starts touching me I'm going to consider it offensive and provocative.

I agree with others who said don't admit you are carrying a weapon unless asked by a peace officer.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”