identogo fingerprints? How does this work?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SickSilverado
Posts in topic: 3

identogo fingerprints? How does this work?

Post by SickSilverado »

I went to their website and I was wanting to do prints for both my FFL and my Texas CHL. The rep on the phone as well as the in-person agent verified i was correctly scheduled($21). When I showed up, they took my prints digitally and charged me $50. Then I was told that my prints were sent. Neither the agent nor the phone rep could tell me who they sent my prints to. Are my prints now on file with DPS or FBI for my licenses?

thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: identogo fingerprints? How does this work?

Post by thatguy »

Have you filled out your online application for your LTC online with Texas DPS? You have to to do that first as this is the "destination point" of your prints and the cost is 10.00, which is a set price paid online with a debit card or credit card, I'm not sure about the FFL.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

No, I haven't done that yet. I just didn't understand what IDENTOGO did with my prints since they clearly had no idea what I wanted. Just got an email saying I had 5 days to view my FBI pre employment background check before it became unavailable.

thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguy »

I understand the LTC fingerprints are stand-alone prints and cannot be used in conjunction with any other fingerprint requirements, again I'm not educated on the requirements for an FFL.

When did you take your LTC course and where from may I ask?
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

Identigo does fingerprints for a lot of reason, one of the most common being background checks for employment. They charge different amounts based on what the purpose is.

If I understand the rules correctly, you need to start the application for your LTC on line. Then you get a referral letter with a destination ID to give to Identigo. That gets your results sent to DPS. You can take the class either before or after starting the application.

What I would guess, based on the price you were charged and the letter you received, is that Identigo did not know you wanted it for the LTC since you did not give them the special destination identifier. They took your prints and ran them as a pre-employment background check. These are not acceptable now for DPS for the LTC.

I recommend that you start the application for the LTC now. That will get you the email to tell Identigo where to send your prints. You will need to go get them done again, which will cost more money but I think the $21 and not the $50.

It might be interesting to see what the FBI results for you were, since you did pay for them already.

I'm sorry you got confused on this. DPS does not make things as clear as I would like. Of course, I still want them to take real fingerprint cards from the local police for applications and they won't. That might be a good thing since some younger cops never have fingerprinted anyone and cannot get them clear anymore. Too used to electronic stuff.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
SickSilverado

Post by SickSilverado »

Ok that made sense. I didn't do the online application yet. I was more concerned with getting my 258 cards done. I specifically asked for that and they said that's what I paid for.
I went ahead and checked that background report...nothing new. Just an arrest for unlawful carrying of a weapon 15 years ago. Case was dismissed.
I ended up making a new friend/acquaintance at the local PD that will do prints for me as long as I bring my own fingerprint cards. So I got them done now.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”