CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 1

My 4 yr old found my pistol today!

Post by SA-TX »

Relax! It was securely holstered on my right side. :biggrinjester:

My son had known that I have a bb rifle (he calls it my "quiet gun") that I am going to teach him to shoot with. Although I've carried concealed with him many, many times, he's never known. I guess the concealed part has been working. ;-) Today I was moving his car seat in the rear cab area of my truck and he was below meand behind me standing in the driveway. At that point he could see the bottom of my holster.

Rather than ignore him or try to deflect, I decided the time was right to quickly talk to him. I raised my shirt to show him my rig. I told him it was my pistol that I carry to keep us safe. He said "Oh, I didn't know you had one like that." There was a little more back and forth but there was no drama. Unlike what Leftists would think, there was no crying or fear or anything negaitve. On the contrary, he can't wait till we will go to the back yard and spend some time with my "quiet gun". :fire

If anyone has any parenting tips for "rasin' a boy right", I'm always open to suggestions or lessons, good or bad.

SA-TX

Jusme

Re: My 4 yr old found my pistol today!

Post by Jusme »

Sounds like you’re doing it right. Kids are naturally curious, but once they have an explanation, and are taught not to fear. They are not as curious. When you think he’s ready, let him go with you to see you shoot your carry gun. I recommend shooting at water bottles so he can see what it can do. Explain how it’s not a toy, and if used improperly can be dangerous. Always answer his questions honestly. Go over firearm safety rules, with him until he knows them by heart.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

My first gun was a BB rifle. When I got older [around 12] I was asking my dad when I could shoot a real gun.
One day he told me that if I wanted to shoot a real gun, I would have to get rid of all of my toy guns. I agreed
to that and starting taking my first of many NRA classes. He bought me a Mossberg Bolt Action, 22LR. A great
gun. I still have it.
NRA Endowment Member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

If possible take him out where you can shoot informally, set up a water jug full of water and let him see what a bullet can do! I took both my son and daughter to a friends place in the country and let them see a demonstration of the jug being blown apart, my daughter was never much interested, my son completely in! When I took him shooting i had him chasing brass, once we finished we picked up everything, went back to the house and I would disassemble, clean and oil the gun, I let him ask questions, then put the gun back together he was allowed to hold it, once it was reloaded he was told never touch daddies gun without permission or you will get a whipping! Several times he would ask if he could hold my pistol, if I had time I would sit with him and go over the parts, once it was reloaded same warning every time! I wanted to remove whatever curiosity he had! When he was big enough to handle the recoil then I let him shoot it, I think he shot it twice and then was done!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I told my kids they could see any of my guns any time they wanted - they only had to ask and I would stop what I was doing and show them, but touching one without permission was absolutely verboten. That took curiosity out of the equation and gave me lots of opportunities to discuss safety and their purpose.

That worked well for us.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Excaliber wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:04 am I told my kids they could see any of my guns any time they wanted - they only had to ask and I would stop what I was doing and show them, but touching one without permission was absolutely verboten. That took curiosity out of the equation and gave me lots of opportunities to discuss safety and their purpose.

That worked well for us.
Us too! In fact that is the best things I have ever done with ours to disarm his curiosity... Took about 4 times the first week and then just a few more times. Nowadays he like to come back to the safe when I go in it so he can ask specific questions about individual guns. Good times!

I first read the concept when researching stuff for my wife, at "The Cornered Cat"
some great articles but here is the one explaining disarming their curiosity- which is the 2nd half of this article.
https://www.corneredcat.com/article/kid ... st-lesson/

For anyone that has kids- this may be the best article ever written about kids and guns.
Disarming Her Curiosity
.........Now comes the scary part: Hand her the gun........

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”