Lead time

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longtooth
Posts in topic: 4

Lead time

Post by longtooth »

Finally got a neighbor to take the class and make his application. :mad5 Yea way too late. :mad5
All his paper work is in, background check will be completely clear.
What is the average lead time running now for plastic in hand.

Thank you for response in advance.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
longtooth

Re: Lead time

Post by longtooth »

Any instructors have an estimate.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

pre-COVID / pre-social unrest the average time from a completed application (online application/digital fingerprints/LTC-100 uploaded) to plastic in hand was about 2 weeks.

I'm not sure if this has changed much with the increased demand. It would be appreciated if you could post a follow up when you're friend receives their LTC.
Last edited by Mike S on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

That I will do that for sure.
He is really getting w/ the program. Borrowing a couple of my holsters to see what he likes.
Already put his base line pistol in the truck and has tried a couple of mine. Knows what he wants and, THANK YOU LORD, he is able to do it.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Last student that gave me feedback did the course in early March with application, prints, all done before. He had plastic by the end of March. No feedback since.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Wait time seems to be all over the place. On Facebook and Reddit I am seeing reports of a few weeks to 180 days.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasCarry/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TexasCHL/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

clarionite
Posts in topic: 6

Post by clarionite »

It's been a little over 60 days since my Fiance's application was submitted and they requested additional information.
She was born in Germany when her parents were stationed there. So they requested a birth certificate or Passport. She submitted her passport on 4/28. As of today it's still waiting on the background check. She called last week and they told her no news is good news. And that background checks are running a little slow. They said they have up to 180 days for the background check. So hopefully she'll have her plastic in hand by her birthday in October. I plan on getting her a nice birthday gift, a trip to the gun store to pick out an EDC she likes and an online shopping spree for a nice carry method. Preferably not a purse.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I reached out to the other students I had in my Fiance's class, and none of them have received theirs yet either.

Topic author
longtooth

Post by longtooth »

clarionite wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:43 pm I reached out to the other students I had in my Fiance's class, and none of them have received theirs yet either.
Thank you sir and thank you all of the above.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

clarionite wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:31 pm It's been a little over 60 days since my Fiance's application was submitted and they requested additional information.
She was born in Germany when her parents were stationed there. So they requested a birth certificate or Passport. She submitted her passport on 4/28. As of today it's still waiting on the background check. She called last week and they told her no news is good news. And that background checks are running a little slow. They said they have up to 180 days for the background check. So hopefully she'll have her plastic in hand by her birthday in October. I plan on getting her a nice birthday gift, a trip to the gun store to pick out an EDC she likes and an online shopping spree for a nice carry method. Preferably not a purse.
I checked today and her background check is completed, and print is pending. So just shy of 3 months for a background check. We'll see how long the print takes now.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

clarionite wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 am
clarionite wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:31 pm It's been a little over 60 days since my Fiance's application was submitted and they requested additional information.
I checked today and her background check is completed, and print is pending. So just shy of 3 months for a background check. We'll see how long the print takes now.
Feds must be going back to work. Not only is her background completed. But her taxes she filed back in Feb, finally show up as processed. It's a good day.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thanks for the info. I get asked this question all the time from people I’m fingerprinting for their LTC. My last renewal took a little less than 3 weeks, but that I have no doubt that a first time background check would take 60 days right now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 pm
Thanks for the info. I get asked this question all the time from people I’m fingerprinting for their LTC. My last renewal took a little less than 3 weeks, but that I have no doubt that a first time background check would take 60 days right now.
I renewed earlier this year and it took less than two weeks. Fastest turn around yet for me. But I think the Feds were on a holiday for a few months. Skeleton crew at a bare minimum if they were working.

When my Mrs Clarionite filed her taxes the first week of February, they sent her a letter that she needed another form, dealing with her insurance. The fax number for sending back that form was down for two months. When it came back she tried to call and verify that they had received it. Every time she called the automated system told her there was no one manning the phones. Same day the background clears, her taxes post as accepted.

Next year filing won't be such a big deal. Filing as joint with me she won't get a return. Just a little smaller check I'll have to write.

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I checked a few minutes ago and her License is in the mail.

Now to find her a nice featherweight .38, or a p938. And the expensive part of finding a carry method that isn't purse carry that works for her.

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

FWIW current lead time from the point they have all documentation in is a couple weeks to the mailbox. Wife did her fingerprints on 7/30 and plastic hit the mailbox on 8/15.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”