Protest / Riot Intel Source?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BSHII
Posts in topic: 2

Protest / Riot Intel Source?

Post by BSHII »

There's been a lot of discussion about self-defense in a protest or riot, and that has become all the more pertinent in the last couple weeks.

Of course, the best strategy is to avoid them entirely. I drive with my 1-year-old son in downtown Houston on an almost daily basis, and getting stuck with him in my car in the middle of a riot is a nightmare scenario. We actually drove through one in EaDo a month ago, but luckily it was small and just getting started.

To that end, does anyone know any good sources for news and intel on upcoming or active protests in Houston or other Texas cities? I've found most local news sources to be sadly lacking in this regard. The last thing I want is end up on a street blocked by protesters with no way out, or to have to stage a combat exfil of my son from his daycare, just because there was an imminent protest or riot I'd never heard about.

We've been lucky in Houston and most of Texas so far, but there's no telling whether that will continue.

LabRat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Protest / Riot Intel Source?

Post by LabRat »

These riots tend to be on the move constantly. Forcing police and citizens to react in the moment.
If there is any information, it would seem to be outdated in less than 5 minutes.

That said, I'd look at any source just to see where these mobile riots tend to spring up.

Getting stuck in a sudden riot while in traffic is a looming hazard no matter where you go.

I'm more worried about getting stuck at some place like a fast food drive through where you're hemmed in my cars in front and back along with a curb barrier preventing a side-directional exit. I've been avoiding them for some time. Lost 10+ lbs in the process. So not a total loss. (No pun intended).

Watching this thread for updates.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

If you don't have the time to commit to monitoring multiple groups to figure out when they might gather then you'll probably never know ahead of time. They take their own video and either live-stream or post it later.
My driving is pretty rural. The advice I gave to my college-age children; plan your driving during weekdays and daylight hours, keep your fuel tank more than half full, be aware of what is going on all around you, and do the best you can to leave yourself an out.

Topic author
BSHII
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BSHII »

Boxerrider wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:50 pm If you don't have the time to commit to monitoring multiple groups to figure out when they might gather then you'll probably never know ahead of time. They take their own video and either live-stream or post it later.
My driving is pretty rural. The advice I gave to my college-age children; plan your driving during weekdays and daylight hours, keep your fuel tank more than half full, be aware of what is going on all around you, and do the best you can to leave yourself an out.
RIght. My hope was that there was some intrepid citizen journalist out there who did have that kind of time on his hands. I do check a couple sources from time to time, such as "itsgoingdown," but it looks like most of the organizing is done on social media.

Absent good intel, all we can do is prepare. I vary my routes out of downtown just to learn as many routes as possible, because all of my most direct routes are likely targets or have already been targeted. By the way, for those in Houston, I drove through EaDo yesterday, and came across another protest at the same place as the last one, at Emancipation near Preston, just north of the soccer stadium. It was small and they stayed out of the road, probably because most of the locals in that neighborhood are hipster types who are sympathetic. But it's good to know what's on their radars regardless.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

We don't venture through downtown much anymore, but we do drive through pulling a camper on our way to the hill country. It was very much on my mind as we traveled during the summer.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”