Daughter's SECOND Mule Deer

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
iahkaferoaster
Posts in topic: 2

Daughter's SECOND Mule Deer

Post by iahkaferoaster »

We hunt on our ranch about 30 miles southwest of Sanderson, Texas. Opening weekend of the 2007 Texas Mule Deer season started out with a low cloud deck, and intermittent showers. That opening Saturday about noon, the wind began to howl, the clouds opened up, and it turned very much colder. About 3 in the afternoon, it began to snow. By last shooting light, there was about an inch of snow on the ground. To add insult to injury, all we saw was a large covey of Blue Quail, a lone boar Javelina, and a wayward racoon. It was a long COLD WET mile and a half hike back to the ranch house. We woke at 5 a.m., and there was 5 inch's of snow on the ground. We waited until light before we began to venture out since it was 21F. Natalie and I hiked out along a ridgeline hoping to pick up some tracks to follow. After about an hour of hiking in the snow, we came upon one large set of tracks weaving in and out of a smaller set. I said to Natalie that this was given the size of the smaller tracks, it was a buck with a doe. We followed these tracks for while when I noticed they did not go up the next ridge, nor come out past our obstruction on either side of the ravine. We snuck up to the rock and peaked over it. Down below 158 yards by the range finder and angling away from us was indeed a buck running a doe. I told her to prop the gun on the rock, and when I clapped and they stopped to look back- to shoot. At 7:52 a.m., Natalie bagged her a nice 3x3 with her 308 shooting 150gr Accubond Winchester Supreme ammo. By the time we got a pack mule to the deer due to the tenacious mud from the previous days hard rain and now melted snow, and it was a whopping 38F. But anyway, here is the result:

http://www.losbuscadorestexas.com/Page2.html

Topic author
iahkaferoaster
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Daughter's SECOND Mule Deer

Post by iahkaferoaster »

Correction. It was 146 yards, and she was standing. I remembered the fine print when I spilt my drink just now:)

45 4 life
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 45 4 life »

I just love to see the girls getting the outdoor education along with the boys.

But the way, that looks like a great ranch you have there.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

locknload

Post by locknload »

Good Daddy!!! :tiphat: Daughters tend to marry guys like their Dad's. You are making the field very narrow by doing this for her. There aren't many Dad's out there that would do this for their daughters. I know. I had just such a Dad, and my friends and girl cousins were always so jealous of the relationship that I had with my Dad and all the things he did for me ... hunting, fishing, swimming, roller skating, bowling, car races, driving, VBS, Girl Scouts, church, etc.. The only men, who could measure up when I started looking for a husband were the creme of the crop, and God sent me a great one ... just like my Daddy! :thumbs2:

centex aggie

Post by centex aggie »

Great job Dad!!

Disabled U.S. Army Veteran 94'-98'
NRA Life Member

Greg

Return to “Hunting Photos”