Is there just no end to them?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

that1otherdude
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is there just no end to them?

Post by that1otherdude »

flintknapper wrote:
that1otherdude wrote: Man, it looks like you're running a hog farm out there as many as are in these pictures!

We’ve been “whittling” them down a bit (mostly my Daughter).

What are y'all shooting them with? Taken any with pistols?
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

:txflag:

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 29

Post by flintknapper »

edit: delete
Last edited by flintknapper on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

that1otherdude
Posts in topic: 3

Post by that1otherdude »

flintknapper wrote:that1otherdude wrote:
What are y'all shooting them with? Taken any with pistols?

In recent years...my Daughter has settled on her favorite 7mm-08, but she has also taken them with a .243 and .223 with equal success.

Actually, she started out using my .45 acp from a dedicated hog stand about 15 yds. off a main trail. She took her first 4-5 hogs that way and never lost one. Not bad for a 13 yr. old.

Not long after that...the area was logged out pretty heavily and the hogs moved to another location on the property...requiring a different set up (farther away), so we switched to a rifle at that point.

I am primarily a bowhunter (tradtional)....but am not adverse to picking up the old smoke pole when conditions dictate. In fact....I am building what will be a "hog only gun" on an AR platform in .458 SOCOM.

The AR will allow for quicker follow up shots than her bolt rifle. I am going to outfit it with an illuminated reticle scope for lowlight/night hunts and also a 35mW green laser. The first "precision" shot will be taken utilizing the scope, follow up shots might be taken using the laser.

I will have the laser mounted to a 4 rail hand guard on the right side at 1 O'Clock. Once the first shot is taken...she can cant/rotate the rifle about 10-15 degrees to the left (clearing the scope) and pick up the laser beam. She will still have a good "cheek weld" on the stock...but will be able to look over the top of the laser with both eyes open.

The laser will be activated with a tape switch mounted to a vertical grip, so all she will need to do is apply pressure to the switch and track the animals looking for reasonable shot opportunities.

Anyway, thats the plan. ;-)
That's what I want to do is take a hog with my 1911...

Man that sounds like one sweet gun that you're building... Please post a pic of it when you're done with it...sounds like a cool setup.
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

:txflag:

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Last edited by flintknapper on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Captain Matt »

Looks like you have your very own pork stimulus package.
"hic sunt dracones"

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Return to “Hunting Photos”