Prairie Dog hunt photos

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Prairie Dog hunt photos

Post by G.A. Heath »

Went PD hunting on Saturday, killed them left and right. Our closest photographed kill was @ 160 yards and our furthest was @ 286 (measurements could be off 2 yards or so as we used a GPS determine range).
These are some of the ones that didn't fall back into the holes (some are graphic).

This one was our furthest shot, .22-250
and rolled over to see the shot

This one isn't coming back to life even if he is immortal (also our closest shot also with a .22-250):

and some others:
Same kill as above:

Almost folded in half:
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

sneedb82

Re: Prairie Dog hunt photos

Post by sneedb82 »

Dang Heath.

Great shooting, I'm sure you guys had a great time. Interested to know where you shot these prairie maggots? As you know I'm in Loraine (east of Colorado City), and we have no prairie maggots, just a few ground squirrels and some cottontails. Hope you had a good time.

Oh, before I forget, what 22-250 do you have? Do you use that to shoot yotes too? or the FN AR? LOL... FN AR for varmint hunting.... I've gotta see pictures. Sorry, I ventured off my tangent even. Talk to ya later.

--Brandon

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

The .22-250 is a Savage Model 10XP (exactly as it came from the factory). I have yet had a chance to get a yote with it, but I did come close, but he must have scented me or something moved off towards the direction where there are houses. The FN AR does not leave any prairie critter behind to verify the kill :)

We kill pigs in Terry and Yoakum counties. Prairie dogs and other varmints in Gaines, and hopefully soon in Andrews county.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

G.A. Heath wrote:The .22-250 is a Savage Model 10XP (exactly as it came from the factory). I have yet had a chance to get a yote with it, but I did come close, but he must have scented me or something moved off towards the direction where there are houses. The FN AR does not leave any prairie critter behind to verify the kill :)

We kill pigs in Terry and Yoakum counties. Prairie dogs and other varmints in Gaines, and hopefully soon in Andrews county.
I was being a *tad* sarcastic about the FN... just cause it's such a sweet rifle. Now, shooting pigs you're in my neck of the woods. I'm a fan of both Terry and Yoakum for pigs (had a lease in Terry for pigs, east of Brownfield), but when I was working in Yoakum, the County Clerk informed me of some good pigs to hunt there, but moved prior to getting a lease settled). Looking good man. If you ever are in need of another gun sometime, I'd be willing to pitch in some hunting fees or lease fees if I can. Not trying to beg, but given the area I live, it'd be a good trip if I was in Lubbock at the time.

Thanks for sharing. I will try to post some more pictures of some more coons around the house once I get them... maybe that feral cat will come out from under the house this week and I can get him too!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

I've shot a few prairie dogs in Gray County with my long gone .22-250. I should have taken some photos of the little varmints - blown to smithereens. :mrgreen:

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

I'm a weird kind of guy. Heath, can we see pictures of this Savage 10XP? I'm a fan of the Savages... in fact, It's either a Savage or a Marlin for my next plinker. And great shooting (again).

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I just copied this from my post where I announced getting it:

Huge image: http://gaheath.com/gallery/albums/userp ... im0589.jpg

Its a good gun, shoots very well, and was zeroed out of the box. I would also like to boast its first shot outside of the factory was a PD kill.

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

G.A. Heath wrote:I just copied this from my post where I announced getting it:

Huge image: http://gaheath.com/gallery/albums/userp ... im0589.jpg

Its a good gun, shoots very well, and was zeroed out of the box. I would also like to boast its first shot outside of the factory was a PD kill.
Thanks Heath. I didn't realize (silly me, if I had only searched, you are good about showing off your new purchases :)) it was already posted. Mea Culpa! I digerss.... That version, if I'm not mistaken, is the one with a detachable magazine? 3 rounds? I've heard good things about the Savages. I have the Remington 700 SPS Varmint 26" with 1/12" twist chambered .223. So far, one shot, one kill... .but lots of paper! I've gotta reseat the barrel with the stock because of the move has lost it's zero. We'll see how well it does on some pigs this weekend.

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

nope, it has an internal 4 round magazine.

Return to “Hunting Photos”