My Raccoon Troubles (Dead Raccoon Pic Attached)

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Raccoon Troubles (Dead Raccoon Pic Attached)

Post by der Teufel »

I'm not going to swear this is true, but it's what I've been told and *believe* to be true.

A land owner may trap raccoons if they are a nuisance, however once trapped there are only two options. The land owner may kill the raccoon or release it elsewhere on his property. I believe that it is prohibited to transport said raccoon to another location and release it, thereby making it 'someone else's problem'.

The document referenced below has some good information. Note the statement near the end which reads"
Landowners wishing to live-trap raccoons and relocate them after they have been caught must notify representatives of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

http://theurbanrancher.tamu.edu/retired ... /l1902.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, perhaps it is permissible to relocate raccoons under certain circumstances, but I don't know what TP&W would have to say on the subject.
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

Gun them down if you see them.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Where possible without undesirable ramifications, SSS (Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up) is the appropriate response. Trapping prior to SSS may be a good idea to "relocate" these dark-of-the-night raiders.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Kimber_Fan

Post by Kimber_Fan »

One less masked bandit!

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

While I too believe in we are in their territory, when they start tearing up feed bags and endangering my livestock's health especially my chickens. SSS is the answer. Found a posthole digger and about a 2 foot hole work well. Doesn't sink in for the animals to step in and get hurt. Planted quite a few over the years because my neighbor feeds barn cats! Sure hope they don't come up.

One of the eeriest things I ever saw was I went out to check why the neighbor's horses were fussing in the middle of the night. Shined the big flashlight down the fence row where the horses were staring and there were probably 2 dozen pairs of coon eyes glowing back from atop the fence!

They can be quite the nuisance and health hazard. They will tear up a rubbermaid trashcan for feed, and tear up barn siding as well - goodness forbid they set up shop in your attic! :shock:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Where possible without undesirable ramifications, SSS (Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up) is the appropriate response. Trapping prior to SSS may be a good idea to "relocate" these dark-of-the-night raiders.
You mean, like, relocate them to underground? :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

My friends [they live in the city] had a couple of raccoons in their attic. I remember when they told me the story, at first I thought that it was kind of funny, but they weren't laughing. Those critters really torn the place up. It was heck getting rid of them. They finally had to hire an exterminator.
NRA Endowment Member

smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I "confronted" one through my back door, which is glass, about a year ago or so. He put his back up at me and dared me to come out and get a butt whoopin'. I live in the thick of suburbia, so I resisted the temptation to take a .22 to him. He left, but not before parking a large dropping on a decorative rock in my garden to let me know who owned the joint, and I don't think he washed his hands afterward. I distinctly heard rap music as he was leaving.
I know this is older post but I got a good laugh out of it.

Return to “Hunting Photos”