Help with ammo and chokes 4 first ever Duck hunt?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 2

Help with ammo and chokes 4 first ever Duck hunt?

Post by Gunner4640 »

Yep I got a dream trip to go duck/goose hunting jan 8 somewhere around port alto tx. I've never been duck hunting before so I am needing some advise on Ammo and chokes. I know the law says steel ammo so I got that covered. The only shotgun I have is a 12 ga o/u with a complete set of chokes and extra chokes IC and skeet set I know I can use 2 different in the gun one for distance and the other for closer in. I can't use a full choke with steel ammo.

So if any of you experienced duck /goose hunters can make some suggestions that would be nice. I'm close to 60 and have not been hunting since I was 17, so this is a real treat for me.
thanks
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Help with ammo and chokes 4 first ever Duck hunt?

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I would go to the range and pattern your shotgun with the different chokes.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I use a Remington 870 supermag express. i shoot 3" mag #4 or #2 steel. with a IC or modified choke

if you don't get the opportunity to pattern your shotgun i'd start there but with steel i opt for more open choke and larger shot 3" mag #2 with IC
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I use a light modified choke and 3" #3's Kents. Chokes are labelled Browning Grand Passage but are made by Briley and you can get them for just about any shotgun. The light modified is in between an IC and mod. Don't get wrapped up in the new Blindside or Black Cloud shells. In my experience they are not worth the extra cost and I have shot both and other new fancy shells over the last few years. I have more clean kills with the cheaper Kents. I agree you need to pattern your gun.

Also duck hunting is dirty and nasty. If your o/u is nice like so many are, be prepared for it to get muddy or wet. You can keep it clean but be mentally prepared to get dirty. Main thing is to have fun and get ready for a new addiction.

Edited to add:
Since you already have a full set of chokes, put the IC in the first tube and Mod in the second. Should work just fine.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
Gunner4640
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gunner4640 »

thank you all for the help..as far as pattering the gun I dont know where I can do that> so much for that. but the rest of the advise will be used.
going to get duck stamp today and buy the ammo. looking for the kent ammo to , but I did find some rem and winchester steel for 8 to 11 $
the choke advise is really helpful
I guess I am going to buy 3 different shot sizes, I just ope I can find it at the local places,, grrr academy and gander.
thanks again I hope to drop my limit and I will post some pictures when I get back. I am going with a guy who works for me , he said this place it really rigged out, customer made blinds etc.. all it's costing is some new kind of cool he is selling, a really nice cooler 500 to 800 dollar range.. supposed to keep ice for a week
thanks again
Gunner
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Return to “Hunting Photos”