Feral Hogs

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Feral Hogs

Post by Keith B »

Had the opportunity to trap and take out 19 feral hogs on my in-law's property in Missouri today. You can see the damage they had done to their pasture beside their deer feed plot. 17 of the 19 got dispatched. A couple of the smaller ones were able to escape through the pen fencing once we started shooting and they spooked. Then the down side of the shoot was having to dress and clean them. Now I am worn out. Tomorrow they go to the processor and get turned into bacon, sausage, pork chops and whatever else they can roust out of them!! Yum!!

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Feral Hogs

Post by anygunanywhere »

Nice!

Pork. The other white meat.

Bacon is infidel candy.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

brhalltx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brhalltx »

I count 16...

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

Very nice,,, bacon,, the best meat.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Good Job! :thumbs2:

Feral Hogs are a scourge. Believe me...I know: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

They are destructive, as I have witnessed first hand. Several years ago, they almost destroyed our corn crop.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flintknapper wrote:Good Job! :thumbs2:

Feral Hogs are a scourge. Believe me...I know: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721
Talk about a blast from the past! I remember when you first posted that thread. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Talk about a blast from the past! I remember when you first posted that thread. :lol:
Yes, its an old, but ongoing thread. I really need to keep it more current.

I've been battling hogs for close to 30 years now. Shoot them, Trap them, Snare them, Run them with dogs on occasion. They just keep making more. :grumble

There needs to be a Federal Fund set aside....to help trap them and ship them to the Middle East. That's what I think we should be doing with them.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I've been battling hogs for close to 30 years now. Shoot them, Trap them, Snare them, Run them with dogs on occasion. They just keep making more. :grumble

There needs to be a Federal Fund set aside....to help trap them and ship them to the Middle East. That's what I think we should be doing with them.
Flint, I know it's your FIL's property, and you have plenty of family to help, but I will be itching to try out my suppressed .300 Blk SBR on hogs when ATF finally sends me my stamp to build the upper. If you ever need help, call me. I'll buy the beer......or sweet tea.....or whatever you're having! :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

:iagree: I'm in
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

brhalltx wrote:I count 16...
Was 19. We had 3 very small ones get out through the fence when we started shooting. One was injured and not worth even trying to save when we we found it. The other two were apparently not injured as we found no blood trail.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Flint, I know it's your FIL's property, and you have plenty of family to help, but I will be itching to try out my suppressed .300 Blk SBR on hogs when ATF finally sends me my stamp to build the upper. If you ever need help, call me. I'll buy the beer......or sweet tea.....or whatever you're having! :lol:
I will tell you from experience, take only head shots either suppressed or not with 300 Blackout. Hogs are tough and no fun to chase down and even a good shot with supersonic ammo can still result in the hog getting a long way quickly.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mrvmax wrote: I will tell you from experience, take only head shots either suppressed or not with 300 Blackout. Hogs are tough and no fun to chase down and even a good shot with supersonic ammo can still result in the hog getting a long way quickly.
We really didn't think about the little ones being able to get through the panels in the fence. The check size was large enough for them to squeeze through. Since it was a borrowed trap, I guess we can't fuss. The smaller checked panels would have been a significant cost to change out.

And, we did have to take some finishing shots at point-blank range. I was a little disapointed with 9mm Speer Gold Dots. Didn't seem to do the job in the head, but the .22 rounds did. :headscratch
Keith

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I have my own property (with hogs) as well, but my FIL's place is bigger and has more of the pests. So I try to keep them 'beat back' a little for his sake. They come and go....so we are swarming with them at times, other times not, but never rid of them.

Trapping as 'Keith' did is by far the most effective method, he got a good catch and significantly reduced the population.

If you can trap 10-20 pigs at a time, it really helps.

That might sound like a drop in the bucket, when compared to the State's estimated population of over 2 million (which I think is very low), but when you consider the 'offspring' those pigs would have produced, it is a huge amount.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

And I'll go with you. :hurry:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Hunting Photos”