Watch Where You Walk

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Watch Where You Walk

Post by WTR »

NRowl wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:03 pm A couple weeks ago my buddy was pulling some wood out of his wood pile and was greeted by a Coral snake. He killed it with a 4' long shovel. There is no way I'd have gotten that close!
Someone needs to educate themselves about snakes. Unless you let that poor Coral snake chew on you your friend killed a snake won’t strike and is realitively harmless.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

kayt00 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:41 pm I tend to just leave em be, if I can verify it's non-venomous I'll probably try to catch it but usually I just leave em be. They're here for a reason and it's not to hunt me down and slay me in my sleep...intentionaly. I treat spiders the same way but I fear disease spread by rodents and some insects more than the creapy crawlies.
Generally, I'm with you. We've had brown recluse spiders. They die as quickly as I can make it happen.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Scorpions are worse than spiders. Mrs AGAW was in a guest bedroom yesterday and picked one up off the floor. She thought it was dead. She dropped it and told me that I was slacking in my duties. I walked over and looked down and saw the thing flex it’s claws and wiggle. I picked it up by the tail and showed her it was alive. She almost fainted.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Maxwell »

WTR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:04 pm We have no venomous snakes at my place, just Bull snakes. I just pick them up and relocate them so they don’t startle my wife.
Are you IN Texas? We have venomous snakes across the state! :fire
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

WTR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:45 pm
NRowl wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:03 pm A couple weeks ago my buddy was pulling some wood out of his wood pile and was greeted by a Coral snake. He killed it with a 4' long shovel. There is no way I'd have gotten that close!
Someone needs to educate themselves about snakes. Unless you let that poor Coral snake chew on you your friend killed a snake won’t strike and is relatively harmless.
Actually they have a nerve toxin that is extremely dangerous to us humans, but you are right in that they are fairly docile and their fangs are in the back of their mouths. They must get enough flesh to chew on, not stab like the other poisonous snakes we have (copperheads, moccasins, and a variety of rattlers depending on where in the state you are). Coral snakes also kill other poisonous snakes.

kayt00
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kayt00 »

Maxwell wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm
Someone needs to educate themselves about snakes. Unless you let that poor Coral snake chew on you your friend killed a snake won’t strike and is relatively harmless.
Actually they have a nerve toxin that is extremely dangerous to us humans, but you are right in that they are fairly docile and their fangs are in the back of their mouths. They must get enough flesh to chew on, not stab like the other poisonous snakes we have (copperheads, moccasins, and a variety of rattlers depending on where in the state you are). Coral snakes also kill other poisonous snakes.
Are we sure it was a coral snake and not a king snake? Animal mimicry at it's finest.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Maxwell wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm
WTR wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:04 pm We have no venomous snakes at my place, just Bull snakes. I just pick them up and relocate them so they don’t startle my wife.
Grew up in W. Texas. Attended A & M. Currently there are no poisoned snakes where I live. Have experienced Rattle, Copper Head, Coral , Cotton Mouth and a variety of non poisonous snakes. I realize the Coral snake has a very potent venom. I also know you have to try to be bitten by one. Every Coral snake( three) I have been in contact with has been very shy and non confrontational.
Last edited by WTR on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry

Post by Terry »

Question, does the 10 acre rule apply when you're trying to kill a venomous snake?

BeanCounter

Post by BeanCounter »

Black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, rattle snakes, copper heads, cotton mouths, dive bombing blue jays, kleptomaniac racoons, an elusive mountain lion and attack squirrels can all found between me and my mail box, but there is no way I would return to living in the Metroplex. :nono:

God Bless Texas!
TSRA Life Member

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Terry wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:11 pm Question, does the 10 acre rule apply when you're trying to kill a venomous snake?
To my knowledge, if you must shoot the snake in defense of your life or someone else's (the snake blocks your path, your phone is dead, can't get away from it, etc) then the doctrine of necessity would provide a defense to prosecution. However, this is usually not the case with venomous snakes, most of whom are killed to prevent a possible future bite, not to prevent an immediate bite. You'd be better off killing it with a hoe, shovel, or similar. Best way would be to get someone else to help hold it down with one long implement so it can't strike while you kill it with another long implement. Just be sure you dispose of the head properly - burial or cremation!
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

BeanCounter wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:00 pm Black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, rattle snakes, copper heads, cotton mouths, dive bombing blue jays, kleptomaniac racoons, an elusive mountain lion and attack squirrels can all found between me and my mail box, but there is no way I would return to living in the Metroplex. :nono:

God Bless Texas!
Hallelujah Brother Texan! We have possums and the dive bombing mocking birds though. Blue jays just make me wanna get out the Crossman pellet gun! :fire

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

kayt00 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:43 pm
Maxwell wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:37 pm
Are we sure it was a coral snake and not a king snake? Animal mimicry at it's finest.
Red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black poison lack.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

WTR wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Maxwell wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm
Grew up in W. Texas. Attended A & M. Currently there are no poisoned snakes where I live. Have experienced Rattle, Copper Head, Coral , Cotton Mouth and a variety of non poisonous snakes. I realize the Coral snake has a very potent venom. I also know you have to try to be bitten by one. Every Coral snake( three) I have been in contact with has been very shy and non confrontational.

OK WTR, where are you now that you don't have any of those wonderful pit vipers we a love and treasure in Texas (Have experienced Rattle, Copper Head, Cotton Mouth...) ? :fire

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My grandmother always kept a flock of guinea fowls, she said if you have guineas you don't have snakes, I always thought that was just a wild tale, but I saw her guineas find a 3ft long rattlesnake and they went nutz, they shredded that snake, tore him to pieces!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

crazy2medic wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:46 pm My grandmother always kept a flock of guinea fowls, she said if you have guineas you don't have snakes, I always thought that was just a wild tale, but I saw her guineas find a 3ft long rattlesnake and they went nutz, they shredded that snake, tore him to pieces!
Had those growing up when I lived on 6 acres. They take out june bugs too. But they are the most annoying sounding bird I have ever encountered!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “Hunting Photos”