Watch Where You Walk

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Watch Where You Walk

Post by tomneal »

$1000 fine?

One time I heard someone say: "Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up". I am still unsure what it means but...
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

jason812
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jason812 »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:47 am
jason812 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 am 20190925_190225.jpg

So my father in law is up to 2 rattle snakes, a copperhead, and a coral snake in his yard this year. 2 of his dogs got it from a rattlesnake last weekend. Both are fine other than swollen faces. The wiener dog had to see the vet though, he was in bad shape.
How fortunate the dogs and your FIL are. I don't believe I have ever seen a coral snake before or even a photo that was not in a book. I can't tell from the photo, but how long was that coral snake? It appears to be at least two feet and I was always under the impression they were very small.
It was maybe 2ft long. They are very thin compared to a rattler. This was the second one I know he killed. There was another one a few years ago a couple steps off his front porch right where everyone would walk outside.

Between his four grandchildren and dogs, any poisonous snake is going to lose.
george wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:54 pm Off topic, but on one of the shows about Texas game wardens (it is a series), someone killed a rattlesnake beside their house and put the picture on line. Turned out, it was an endangered timber rattlesnake, and I think the fine was $1000.

Just sayin'
That show makes the game wardens look like a joke but it is not surprising they would write a ticket. That's about the nicest thing I can say.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

Maxwell wrote:
Actually they have a nerve toxin that is extremely dangerous to us humans, but you are right in that they are fairly docile and their fangs are in the back of their mouths. They must get enough flesh to chew on, not stab like the other poisonous snakes we have (copperheads, moccasins, and a variety of rattlers depending on where in the state you are). Coral snakes also kill other poisonous snakes.
The Coral Snake does possess a Neuro-toxic venom and they do tend to be a docile snake. A couple of misnomers about the coral however:

1. They are NOT rear fanged. They are a front fanged snake but have 'fixed' fangs.
2. It is often said they must 'chew' on their prey to deliver their venom. Corals do tend to chew...but do not HAVE to chew to inject venom. The venom is highly toxic but typically small in volume. For this reason... the snake tends to bite and 'HOLD' on.

I would also add that Coral Snakes can open their mouths much wider than many folks realize. You will often hear it parroted that Coral snakes would need to bite you on a finger or between the fingers, etc... This is patently false....but they DO need to be able to 'grab' their victim.
Attachments
Coral-snake-biting.jpg
Texas Coral Snake.jpg
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

QB

Post by QB »

Well I don't know why I read this entire thread, OMG.......I am absolutely horrified of snakes and could never live where they frequent. My sister lives outside of Rockdale and they are always killing rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouth, coral snakes......and so do their neighbors. I haven't been there in over a year and when I'm there I walk around horrified. I don't see too good so that doesn't help!!!! Poisonous or not, if a snake bit me I'd die of a heart attack. They also have scorpions that get in the house. I just couldn't live there.

Now those little earth snakes, they are OK but geeze, they could look like baby cottonmouth? OMG :eek6
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

QB wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:50 pm Well I don't know why I read this entire thread, OMG.......I am absolutely horrified of snakes and could never live where they frequent. My sister lives outside of Rockdale and they are always killing rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouth, coral snakes......and so do their neighbors. I haven't been there in over a year and when I'm there I walk around horrified. I don't see too good so that doesn't help!!!! Poisonous or not, if a snake bit me I'd die of a heart attack. They also have scorpions that get in the house. I just couldn't live there.

Now those little earth snakes, they are OK but geeze, they could look like baby cottonmouth? OMG :eek6
I am with you ma’am. I have watched several shows of the “snake handling preachers.” Well I would loose the religion I do have, if someone whipped out a snake to dance with. :fire

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

It is well.... to be respectful of the venomous snakes we have in the State, but most snakes are beneficial IF not up around your home or outbuildings.

I was clearing some brush from around a tree in our pasture this afternoon and caught this Buttermilk Racer (a fairly rare snake). This is the third one (BMR) I've seen on my property this year..but the ONLY one I've been able to catch. They are fast...and love to bite.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Does everybody know the difference between a Coral snake and a King snake?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

Oldgringo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:25 pm Does everybody know the difference between a Coral snake and a King snake?
The old saying red and black are a friend of jack. Red and yellow kills a fellow.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Oldgringo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:25 pm Does everybody know the difference between a Coral snake and a King snake?
Probably not.

My guess is the majority of folks would not be able to tell a Milksnake from a Scarlet Kingsnake from a Coral snake.

Certain Shovel Nose snakes also have a similar pattern, but they don't occur in Texas.
Attachments
milk_coral_snakes.jpg

narcissist
Posts in topic: 2

Post by narcissist »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:42 pm
The old saying red and black are a friend of jack. Red and yellow kills a fellow.
For some reason I've heard red on black venom lack - red on yellow kill a fellow, basically the same thing. Probably multiple versions out there, the main thing is to know the difference!

Many many years ago we killed what we believe was a Bull snake, young and trigger happy. Anyway it was 7ft 2 in. Going to try to find the old photos to see what you all think, may take a while to find. As far as rattle snakes, killed around 75-100 on the ranch in past years, just by accident. Saved most rattles and did a 5ft 2' skin myself with a cedar bord, glued most of thd bigger ones on it. Conversation stater, plus looks cool on the wall.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Return to “Hunting Photos”