Need your opinion

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

narcissist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need your opinion

Post by narcissist »

s3779m wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 am I hunt deer in the hill country and keep a few cameras set up just to see what is out there. A couple of weeks ago a young (2 year old?) elk started showing up. He has ear tags in both ears so he must have escaped from somebodies game ranch. I have a question for the lawyers and one for the hunters, 1) would it be legal to shoot the animal during hunting season, more important, 2) would it be ethical? I am in the camp of not to shoot, I believe this animal "belongs" to someone but is that how the state of Texas looks at it?
Thanks for any input.
It's considered a exotic game animal, ear tags or not my uncle owns a game ranch in the hill country and if his "ear tagged" exotics get loose it's to bad. Ethically, it would all depends on how you feel about the situation and if you can live with eating some good ol elk meat. Now being in a camp area of not to shoot is completely different, but if any exotic crosses on to your own personal property at any time of year you can shoot it. As long as you own at least 10 acres, Elk makes great jerky meat. Cattle of course are not considered exotics, they are livestock big difference.
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Need your opinion

Post by WTR »

narcissist wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm
s3779m wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 am I hunt deer in the hill country and keep a few cameras set up just to see what is out there. A couple of weeks ago a young (2 year old?) elk started showing up. He has ear tags in both ears so he must have escaped from somebodies game ranch. I have a question for the lawyers and one for the hunters, 1) would it be legal to shoot the animal during hunting season, more important, 2) would it be ethical? I am in the camp of not to shoot, I believe this animal "belongs" to someone but is that how the state of Texas looks at it?
Thanks for any input.
It's considered a exotic game animal, ear tags or not my uncle owns a game ranch in the hill country and if his "ear tagged" exotics get loose it's to bad. Ethically, it would all depends on how you feel about the situation and if you can live with eating some good ol elk meat. Now being in a camp area of not to shoot is completely different, but if any exotic crosses on to your own personal property at any time of year you can shoot it. As long as you own at least 10 acres, Elk makes great jerky meat. Cattle of course are not considered exotics, they are livestock big difference.
It does matter depending on if you are open or closed range. If you are on open range they are still the owners.

Return to “Hunting Photos”