Retention Shooting with Craig Douglas

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Retention Shooting with Craig Douglas

Post by Paladin »

Classic ECQC Retention shooting training with Craig Douglas:

I train the same thing, but with different methods. As you can see in the video some of the shooting is a little sporting from a safety standpoint. Much better to train with an airsoft first, and then dryfire, and only after that confirmation with live-fire.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Retention Shooting with Craig Douglas

Post by BCGlocker »

I just took his class one month ago. We did lots of dry fire under close supervision of Craig and his assistant instructors before we did live fire. It was safe. In fact, most of us were able to shoot a fist size group.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

BCGlocker wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 pm I just took his class one month ago. We did lots of dry fire under close supervision of Craig and his assistant instructors before we did live fire. It was safe. In fact, most of us were able to shoot a fist size group.
I'm glad it was safe and accuracy was good. It's important training, and Craig is one of best in his area of expertise. With a proper index accuracy can be pretty impressive. But that video showed Craig forward of the firing line during live fire... and I don't do that or recommend that. I also find using airsoft to be very helpful in developing proper safety habits and saving valuable ammunition.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I sure wish I had some land where I could practice some of these things using live rounds. I can't afford a membership at a range that allows these things so am stuck practicing with snap caps in my living room.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:14 pm I sure wish I had some land where I could practice some of these things using live rounds. I can't afford a membership at a range that allows these things so am stuck practicing with snap caps in my living room.
I have a few days available in January. If you want to get together just PM me.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:30 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:14 pm I sure wish I had some land where I could practice some of these things using live rounds. I can't afford a membership at a range that allows these things so am stuck practicing with snap caps in my living room.
I have a few days available in January. If you want to get together just PM me.
Holy Cow! Thank You for the offer. I might just take you up on that.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Paladin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:04 am
BCGlocker wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 pm I just took his class one month ago. We did lots of dry fire under close supervision of Craig and his assistant instructors before we did live fire. It was safe. In fact, most of us were able to shoot a fist size group.
I'm glad it was safe and accuracy was good. It's important training, and Craig is one of best in his area of expertise. With a proper index accuracy can be pretty impressive. But that video showed Craig forward of the firing line during live fire... and I don't do that or recommend that. I also find using airsoft to be very helpful in developing proper safety habits and saving valuable ammunition.
I'm sure there will be some that vehemently disagree with me, but I put myself where I can best observe, coach, & reinforce safety controls during dry & live fire. That often puts me a few feet lateral & forward of the firer. I find this especially important during holster work, and if a student's holster has a cant / worn at 4:30 position I find it safer to be to the side/slightly forward than directly behind the shooter.

There are control measures in place, & I primarily focus on private lessons on a private range. When I position myself forward, I do this with a single firer at a time. I also come from a career field where we routinely would collapse our sectors of fire inside a room to within 1 meter / 3 feet of your teammates muzzle (that was the standard, not some cowboy-ish flippant disregard for safety), so some of my methodology may seem outrageous to some but standard practice for others.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Another of the great benefits of airsoft is being able to safely work forward of the line if needed. I've found airsoft is especially helpful in barricade and vehicle training.

Return to “Books & Videos”