Tips for Shooting a Snub Nose Revolver

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Tips for Shooting a Snub Nose Revolver

Post by Paladin »

Nice short 12 min video about the classic pocket pistol:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tips for Shooting a Snub Nose Revolver

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Watched that yesterday and Chris always has good videos. I have a Taurus Model 85 snubby and a Ruger LCR that I like to pocket carry often.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Something to add to my watchlist. Thanks for posting.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Lucky Gunner puts out a ton of great videos.

Super accessible to new people to guns, really informative. Love their stuff, this one included.
TANSTAAFL

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Good video. Don't underestimate how difficult it can be to shoot one of those little guys. They're OK if you can take your time, aim, maybe rest on a tabletop or something, but for a sudden snap-shooting, it can be hard to hit the side of a barn with a 1 1/2 inch barrel if you don't get in some practice.

For point blank self defense at "can't miss" range, they do work. Not only that, but the muzzle blast alone from a .357 snubbie would have a definite psychological effect on a BG!
-Ruark

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

I used a .38 Special J-frame for my LTC instructor qual and found the toughest part for me was adequate sight alignment at 15 yards. A stainless rear notch with a short sight radius is challenging. Gonna try the video's advice and black out the rear notch.

I am also going through the NRA MQP Defensive pistol qualifications with my Snubbie. That's been good practice as well.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Paladin wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:39 am I used a .38 Special J-frame for my LTC instructor qual and found the toughest part for me was adequate sight alignment at 15 yards. A stainless rear notch with a short sight radius is challenging. Gonna try the video's advice and black out the rear notch.

I am also going through the NRA MQP Defensive pistol qualifications with my Snubbie. That's been good practice as well.
So, not counting my wife's 642, I have 2 J-frame snubbies: a S&W 640, and a M&P340…both in .357 magnum. Although the 22.4 oz heft (just 1.2 oz less than the 23.63 oz of my G19 with an empty mag) of the all stainless steel 640 makes shooting magnum loads easier than with the 13.8 oz scandium-framed 340, the sights are hard for me to acquire…both because of the rear notch, and stainless front ramp sight. But the 340 is already black, and the front sight is a pinned XS Sights tritium night sight with a big white dot. Target acquisition is pretty easy…even with my M1952 eyeballs. The triggers are about the same with both guns, and although the 340 slaps my hand harder due to being just a few oz over 1/2 the weight of the other, I shoot it more accurately because of those sights.

On any day I’m likely to carry a snubbie, I carry the 340 for those reasons—less weight and better sights. It’s a more practical gun. And I carry it with Hornady Critical Defense 125 grain .357 loads. Hornady used to publish the MV for both 8" and 2" barrels on their website…although now it just shows it for the 8". At that time, they claimed 1200 fps/400 ft-lbs MV/ME for a 2" barrel. (I’ve never chronographed it myself, as there’s not enough barrel to attach my Magnetospeed chrono. :mrgreen: ) If the truth is anything even close to those numbers, that is more than satisfactory for me. I figure that, if I’m going to carry a 5-shot handgun that’s slooooowwww to reload, I want 5 rounds of Olympian-class thunder and lightning on hand, and I’ll deal with the subsequent hand pain afterwards. (See link for reference) That’s why I don’t bother with standard or +P 38 Special for carry in that gun.

The 640 has been relegated to basically a range toy, and I’ll use either it or a 5" .357 I have for a teaching gun (among others), with soft-shooting .38 target loads when I’m introducing a new shooter to handguns. The 340 has become the gun I’ll slip into my back pocket for a walk down to the mailbox or other things like that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Books & Videos”