Weapon lights on your EDC with Paul Howe

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Weapon lights on your EDC with Paul Howe

Post by Paladin »

Some good discussion here regarding EDC lights:

I've got lights on my long guns, and have used them on home defense pistols in the past, but there are great reasons to have handhelds for EDC.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas

Re: Weapon lights on your EDC with Paul Howe

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

LOL! Hackathorn sure is stirring up the hornets nest of opinions lately :lol: Although I respect him, I don't agree with him on a lot of things. Namely (and lately) his opinions on pistol mounted optics and weapons mounted lights. For PMO's, your mileage may vary. A lot of negative opinions coming from people who haven't put in the time on them or realize that they do have weaknesses (i.e. failure of the optic itself) and need to train for that. For the WML's, I don't normally carry a gun with one unless a certain situation arises like I'm spending a great deal of time in the dark in certain situations or my bedside gun. I do however always carry a some form of EDC light, even during the day. My house is normally dark (and more so at night) and some places I'm in can be pitch black or really dark even during the day. Anyway, I enjoy the conversations this is bringing up.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

After a few personal defense night matches at my club I realized I need to put a light on my handgun and get a holster that would allow me to carry it that way. I did that for my G21SF for several years.

Now, I almost exclusively carry 1911’s in full or subcompact models without a light. I still have the Glock setup, but rarely carry it anymore. I do have it available at home for those low light situations. I just don’t carry it anymore and I’m not out at night much anymore either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have seen too many people including police using their weapon lights for a “flashlight.” So you are pointing your gun and something or someone you DON’T want to shoot. I carry a small Sure Fire hand held light in my left pocket.

One of the Forum members (I don’t remember who) talked about flashlights and knives 15 years ago. I began to carry both and I use my knife more than anything and my light on many occasions. I am not a knife guy nor have I ever been able to open it with my thumb. I was so happy when Texas allowed automatic knives.

I am however like Paladin I have lights on my AR, Shotgun and pistol beside my bed.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:35 pm I have seen too many people including police using their weapon lights for a “flashlight.” So you are pointing your gun and something or someone you DON’T want to shoot. I carry a small Sure Fire hand held light in my left pocket.

One of the Forum members (I don’t remember who) talked about flashlights and knives 15 years ago. I began to carry both and I use my knife more than anything and my light on many occasions. I am not a knife guy nor have I ever been able to open it with my thumb. I was so happy when Texas allowed automatic knives.

I am however like Paladin I have lights on my AR, Shotgun and pistol beside my bed.
There's enough light from mine that I don't have to have them pointed directly at whatever. For me, low ready provides enough to see and avoid pointing a firearm directly at something or someone until required.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

C-dub wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:06 am
carlson1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:35 pm I have seen too many people including police using their weapon lights for a “flashlight.” So you are pointing your gun and something or someone you DON’T want to shoot. I carry a small Sure Fire hand held light in my left pocket.

There's enough light from mine that I don't have to have them pointed directly at whatever. For me, low ready provides enough to see and avoid pointing a firearm directly at something or someone until required.
Exactly, most surfaces (especially indoor) reflect enough light that you don't have to point them anywhere near something/someone you don't want to.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

I use a WML on my nightstand pistol. A high powered flashlight is also on the nightstand. No light on my carry pistol. Need to add a pocket light to my edc list, but my pockets are pretty full already.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Return to “Books & Videos”