Stopping Power by J. Neil Schulman

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tfrazier
Posts in topic: 1

Stopping Power by J. Neil Schulman

Post by tfrazier »

I just read an editorial on the Huffington Post web site lamenting the number of fatalities by gun fire this year and got to wondering if anyone was tracking how many lives were saved this year because of gun defenses.

In the resulting google search, I ran across http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where this author has made his book, "Stopping Power - Why 70 Million Americans Own Guns" available for free download. I've read the forward and first few pages so far and am intrigued. It's several years old, apparently, but I've never heard of it before.

Has anyone else read this? Is it any good?

TLE2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stopping Power by J. Neil Schulman

Post by TLE2 »

If you don't belong to the NRA, please join.

One of their recent e-mails (or article in the American Rifleman) commented on this statistic.

Their conclusion, based on a study, was that the "saved by" to "killed by" ratio was quite high (I remember something like 20 to 1, but don't quote me).
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Return to “Books & Videos”