Lt. Col. Grossman's "On Killing" & "On Combat"

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
lonestarprotect
Posts in topic: 3

Lt. Col. Grossman's "On Killing" & "On Combat"

Post by lonestarprotect »

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's books "On Killing" & "On Combat" are must reads!

On Killing: looks at the Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society is a book by Lt.Col. Dave Grossman exploring the psychology of the act of taking another human's life.

On Combat: looks at what happens to the human body under the stresses of deadly battle & the impact on the nervous system, heart, breathing, visual etc....
These are must reads for L.E. personnel as well as C.H.L. holders and anyone else who wears a weapon!

Very insightful! :txflag:
"Don't hit at all if you can help it; don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep."
Theodore Roosevelt

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lt. Col. Grossman's "On Killing" & "On Combat"

Post by KD5NRH »

lonestarprotect wrote:On Killing: looks at the Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society is a book by Lt.Col. Dave Grossman exploring the psychology of the act of taking another human's life.
This one has been out of stock every time I've had a few bucks available for books. Still on my list, though.
On Combat: looks at what happens to the human body under the stresses of deadly battle & the impact on the nervous system, heart, breathing, visual etc....
These are must reads for L.E. personnel as well as C.H.L. holders and anyone else who wears a weapon!
I have this one, and it is a great insight into the physical and psychological effects of any extremely high-stress situation. Grossman's qualifications on the subject are pretty unique in that he has the real-life experience to draw on plus the "book learnin'" to understand it.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

lonestarprotect wrote:Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's books "On Killing" & "On Combat" are must reads!
I agree.

I've had both for several years, and have read both as many times.

Don't expect a literary masterpiece. But the text is better than many defensive-shooting tomes.

If you order either book--from any source--you’re liable to receive a print-on-demand book with a less-than-curl-free cover. Just sayin’...so you won’t be expecting something better.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

KD5NRH wrote:
lonestarprotect wrote:On Killing: looks at the Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society is a book by Lt.Col. Dave Grossman exploring the psychology of the act of taking another human's life.
This one has been out of stock every time I've had a few bucks available for books. Still on my list, though.
I have this one, and it is a great insight into the physical and psychological effects of any extremely high-stress situation. Grossman's qualifications on the subject are pretty unique in that he has the real-life experience to draw on plus the "book learnin'" to understand it.

Try abebooks.com where it is going for as little as $3 to $6 --plus shipping: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... ng&x=0&y=0

If you can't find a book on ABE (advanced book exchange) it's really out-of-circulation.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

jacobsd8195

Post by jacobsd8195 »

Don't forget to check your local library. I was able to check out Grossman's "On Killing" from our library here in League City.

Topic author
lonestarprotect

Great info. guys. HAd never heard of A.B.E. until now. I appreciate it. :tiphat: :tiphat: Be safe!
"Don't hit at all if you can help it; don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep."
Theodore Roosevelt

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The source for much of Col. Grossman's info on the effects of life threatening stress were taken from Bruce Siddle's Sharpening the Warrior's Edge.

Those who are interested in better understanding the psychophysiological aspects of what happens to people from the inside during combat will find this a rewarding read.

It's a bit dry at times because science is seldom thrilling, but the information is both solid and valuable.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
lonestarprotect

Bruce is also great! Great read as well. It's amazing how many fols out there have never heard of either of these great authors.
Theodore Roosevelt

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

They're both at amazon.com
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Pug

Post by Pug »

Nice reading companion / study guide for On Combat: http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/LLeadership/LLI ... Combat.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And (albeit written by a Canadian) a very good, thought-provoking review: http://www.journal.dnd.ca/vo9/no2/doc/16-engen-eng.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Books & Videos”