African Hunting Books

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
whnut
Posts in topic: 1

African Hunting Books

Post by whnut »

I have gotten into the habit of reading books written by or about professional hunters in Africa & the early hunters.
I've read
Robert Rouark's books (great read)
Capstick's books (great read)
Alexander Lake's books (great read)
Horned Death (good Read)
Heart of An African Hunter (Good Read)
Game Trails (ok read, too drawn out, Teddy Rosevelt wasn't remembered for his writting)
and others I can't recall right now

If any one has a particular book or Author they can recommend, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shelby

alittlefishy

Re: African Hunting Books

Post by alittlefishy »

Man eaters of tavso by Col Patterson great book. Same man hunted man eaters in India and wrote about it. Reading these books keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

Aagaard's Africa
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

HankB

Post by HankB »

There are a LOT of books on African hunting - your tastes may vary from mine but here are some from my own library:

Steward Edward White wrote a number of good books, including Lions in the Path, The Rediscovered Country, African Camp Fires, and The Land of Foot Prints.
John "Pondoro" Taylor's classics African Rifles and Cartridges and Pondoro: Last of the Ivory Hunters are great reads.
The W.D.M Bell books (Bell of Africa, Karamojo Safari, Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter) are classics.
A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa by Frederick Courtney Selous is worthwhile, but Selous wasn't the most entertaining writer.
Channing Beebe's book Cannibals and Big Game is OK.

Those are from the Africa of yesteryear.

More recent book are Ron Thompson's The Adventures of Shadrek (Shadrek was a poacher) and Mahohboh.
Bruce Kinloch's book The Shamba Raiders relates African game management from the viewpoint of a game warden.
Craig Boddington has written some OK books, the best of which is Safari Rifles, which is complemented by Gregor Woods' Rifles for Africa and and Robertson's The Perfect Shot.

And no list would be complete without Mellon's African Hunter.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “Books & Videos”