'Kahawa' by Donald Westlake

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

'Kahawa' by Donald Westlake

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

A post by Oohrah reminded me about this, one of my favorite books from the 1980's.

Official description is
In Uganda in 1977, a particular trainload of coffee, mostly belonging to dictator Idi Amin, is worth six million dollars. As a group of scoundrels and international financiers hijack the train, the double and triple crosses pile up and the comic tension escalates in a brawling brew of buffoons, bumblers, beans and boxcars.
but I think of it as "how does a small group of merc's make an entire freight train disappear in Idi Amin's Uganda?".
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 'Kahawa' by Donald Westlake

Post by Jusme »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am A post by Oohrah reminded me about this, one of my favorite books from the 1980's.

Official description is
In Uganda in 1977, a particular trainload of coffee, mostly belonging to dictator Idi Amin, is worth six million dollars. As a group of scoundrels and international financiers hijack the train, the double and triple crosses pile up and the comic tension escalates in a brawling brew of buffoons, bumblers, beans and boxcars.
but I think of it as "how does a small group of merc's make an entire freight train disappear in Idi Amin's Uganda?".
Better yet, where do you fence a trainload of coffee?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Jusme wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm
JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 am A post by Oohrah reminded me about this, one of my favorite books from the 1980's.

Official description is
At the local Starbucks? :biggrinjester:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jusme wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Official description is
Juan Valdez
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I know now why Amin was so cranky, he was over caffeinated. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:14 pm I know now why Amin was so cranky, he was over caffeinated. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Books & Videos”