wheelchair for a large dog - or any help / advice

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 14

Re: wheelchair for a large dog - or any help / advice

Post by PBR »

Well it's done and was the hardest thing I have pretty much ever done. It was so hard and tough to do, I cried like a baby the whole time and as soon as they put the needle in I almost started screaming NO!!!! I feel like she almost knew what was happening or going on which made it so much harder. I feel like I gave up on her.

edited: Also another tough part coming up in few hours when Augie gets here and have to tell her
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

I'm so sorry. You didn't give up on her, ever.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

It doesn't seem like it now, but that's the kindest thing you ever did for her. When we had to make that decision for my wife's chihuahua, I couldn't believe how hard it was to do. She had that little mutt since she was 19 and I bought him a lotto ticket and cigar when he turned 18. I was planning on getting him a beer when he turned 21 but just didn't make it. I took it harder than my wife did.

We got him cremated and I plan on doing that with all my dogs now. When I croak, they can just mix their ashes and mine together in the bottle of whiskey and drop us all in the ocean. As my 4 year old says, "that sounds like a good plan."
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm so sorry both of you had to go through this. I've lost too many dogs over the years and taking them for that last drive is heartbreaking. Though some may disagree, my advice is get another dog soon. If you are so inclined, make it a rescue dog. There are so many that need a good home.

Chas.

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

PBR wrote:Well it's done and was the hardest thing I have pretty much ever done. It was so hard and tough to do, I cried like a baby the whole time and as soon as they put the needle in I almost started screaming NO!!!! I feel like she almost knew what was happening or going on which made it so much harder. I feel like I gave up on her.

edited: Also another tough part coming up in few hours when Augie gets here and have to tell her
My heart goes out to you sir. It's really tough. I am afraid I will be facing this myself here in a few more months with my 13 year old Cocker Spaniel. You will get through this and will have the good memories to look back on.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

There is nothing I can say that makes it better.....
Like you and so many others, that last day, I have lived though it, as have our kids...It is never not sad, even when it was for the better.

Like you are likely thinking right now, I have uttered the words, not again, not another one...But today we have four and I could not be more happy..

If the day comes you wish for another furry companion (I did not nor would ever say replacement), if that day comes please feel free to reach out to me. I work with lost, found and rescue dogs every day... Recently added rescuing "banned" breeds from our local shelter that by policy can only not destroy them if the animal is pulled by a certified 301c rescue.. Have been able to save two so far this way..

Point is, if you come to the day you want another buddy, I'd happily offer to assist. Be it one of our group dogs available to adopt, putting you in touch with one of the many rescues I've come to know. Working with an Animal Control facility that has a pup your interested in, but they can not by statute or policy adopt out because it is a banned breed in their locality.

Respectful

Erik Marquez
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
PBR
Posts in topic: 14

Post by PBR »

Thanks for all the words everyone, I still have two dogs here left so not ready for anything or anyone new. Not sure if will get another when the time comes after these two, also doubt I will outlive these two. I never had any children so my dogs are and always were my children. I have lost many many dogs over my life but she is the first one I personally took or had to get put down myself. I must say I do not want to do it again, it was tough watching the needles go in and her slowly go out. They checked and said she had passed, I stayed there spending a few more mins with her and it was like she was fighting to come back. Slow gasping and twitching I started losing it but they said it was just nerves I felt she was fighting and telling me not to leave, but I couldn't stand anymore.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

It takes a great deal of love to relieve a friend of their pain and to put our feelings of not wanting to part with them aside. She will always be with you.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

There are no words spoken that can be of comfort now, but I am so sorry for your loss. I can only say that he is in a better place and running free. He will be at Rainbow Bridge waiting your arrival.

We have a picture done of our pets when we adopt one. These pictures go on a wall in our living room along with the rest of the family pictures as they become our family also. When the time comes for that fateful day, the pictures of the lost gets moved to another wall along with the remains after cremation. Some may think we are strange to do this but again, they are our family and this is how we choose to remember them. Just last night, one of our furr babies did something that reminded us of one that had passed. We looked upon her picture and remembered how she had done the same thing.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Off-Topic”