Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Ever Eaten Raw Beef?

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am 74novaman,

Are you from someplace in Africa?

The only mention of 'biltong' I've seen were all located there.

How long do you let it dry and do you use cheese cloth to keep the flys off or ...?

Thanks!
We dry-age beef wrapped in cheesecloth, but in the fridge. No flies in there... :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gtolbert09 »

Mad Cow Disease? I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK in the early 90's when Mad Cow Disease broke out. Because of that I'm restricted by the gov't from donating blood. Yes humans can be affected by it. I've had no ill effects, but I make sure all my beef is at least medium before consuming it.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

gtolbert09 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 pm Mad Cow Disease? I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK in the early 90's when Mad Cow Disease broke out. Because of that I'm restricted by the gov't from donating blood. Yes humans can be affected by it. I've had no ill effects, but I make sure all my beef is at least medium before consuming it.
I believe you have to eat brain or spinal cord to get mad cow and apparently the prions are not destroyed with heat. Hard to believe.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

rotor wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm
gtolbert09 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:43 pm Mad Cow Disease? I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, UK in the early 90's when Mad Cow Disease broke out. Because of that I'm restricted by the gov't from donating blood. Yes humans can be affected by it. I've had no ill effects, but I make sure all my beef is at least medium before consuming it.
I believe you have to eat brain or spinal cord to get mad cow and apparently the prions are not destroyed with heat. Hard to believe.
That is the case and infections did occur. If you have ever spent any time in a slaughter house you would be appalled at the easy with which contamination happens.

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MaduroBU »

Grind your own from steak that has been aged. Dry aging beef will root out contaminated meat (vs cooking to kill the pathogens). I'm pretty permissive with food safety, but eating uncooked preground beef puts a lot of faith in a meat packing industry that was putting its faith in you to cook thir product.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

MaduroBU wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:42 pm Grind your own from steak that has been aged. Dry aging beef will root out contaminated meat (vs cooking to kill the pathogens). I'm pretty permissive with food safety, but eating uncooked preground beef puts a lot of faith in a meat packing industry that was putting its faith in you to cook thir product.
Just look at the millions of pounds of ground beef which is recalled each year due to bacterial contamination. Brain is also a popular food in the UK. I know my Mom used to make brains and eggs for us when I was a kid.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

More years ago than I care to remember, in college. I'd been living on rice and oatmeal for weeks. I finally got a little money and went an bought a couple of steaks. I was getting ready to cook them when suddenly I just grabbed one and started eating it raw. I hadn't planned to, but I just couldn't stop myself. I cooked the other one, and haven't eaten raw meat since. I don't know exactly what came over me, and I wondered about it.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I like Jalapeño Poppers. :cheers2:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

BigGuy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 pm More years ago than I care to remember, in college. I'd been living on rice and oatmeal for weeks. I finally got a little money and went an bought a couple of steaks. I was getting ready to cook them when suddenly I just grabbed one and started eating it raw. I hadn't planned to, but I just couldn't stop myself. I cooked the other one, and haven't eaten raw meat since. I don't know exactly what came over me, and I wondered about it.
A guess is that you were iron deficient. People with iron deficiency will develop a nearly uncontrollable urge to eat things ranging from ice chips to steaks to rocks. These are not psych patients mind you, but normal people whose reptile brains are sending them signals that they can't really interpret but which are nonetheless very hard to stave off.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

When I was kid my dad would eat raw ground beef on crackers with onion. He told me as a young man he would patronize a bar for lunch that offered raw ground beef as the "lunch". As a struggling veterinarian trying to start a practice with his brother who was also a vet he worked as a meat inspector at a packing plant in the 1940's after the war. He never mentioned people getting sick from processing as they do now a day. Whether his plant was very clean or any news about contamination was quelled I don't know. I was surprised that it was really good. He also started me eating horse radish spooned on crackers as a snack. I wouldn't eat raw meat nowadays. though.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I tried steak tartare once. It did nothing for me. I prefer some heat and sear on my beef and reserve eating raw animal for seafood.
Psalm 91:2

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I will eat Sushi and such but raw beef is best left for the dog.

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

I'll take mine medium please.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Abraham wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 pm Philip964,

Yes, it counts, but I'm sorry you didn't care for it.

My guess is you had a built in reluctance factor.

Understandable, you're an American with the American attitude of 'holy mak-el Andy, we gonna eat that, it'll make us sick' when it won't.

Getting Americans to even try or consider something that isn't bland, though 'mountain oysters' even though rather bland is a huge stretch for some.

BTW, even turkey fries I find delicious, or beef or ....they're all good, I do prefer them 'fried'.

Brains, not being a zombie, I find gelatinous and not something I'm overly fond of, but will eat them in Menudo.

Years back, on the first leg of a business trip landing in Monterrey, Mexico in ye old company jet, a group of us were treated to lunch of cabrito.

Our host, insisted our metallurgist eat the eye out of the whole roasted critter served as our lunch. He, our guy, apparently thought himself the butt of a bad gustatory joke. He refused this kind offer whereupon our host dug one out of the skull, popped into his mouth and exclaimed ecstasy.

I didn't volunteer to eat it as I didn't want to make our guy look weak...
I'm sorry your right. Just the sight of the giblets bag inside the frozen turkey makes me gag.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Yes I had Beef tar tar. But also ate Chitlins, Rabbit, Squirrel, Racoon , Beaver, and Musrat!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “Off-Topic”