Asking for a friend

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Asking for a friend

Post by philip964 »

Is Plastic Surgery covered by Medicade? How about an initial consultation?

I promise my next question will be about guns I don't own.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Asking for a friend

Post by RoyGBiv »

philip964 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 pm Is Plastic Surgery covered by Medicade? How about an initial consultation?

I promise my next question will be about guns I don't own.
This is just a guess...
"Reconstructive" surgery (necessary due to an accident or other medical condition) is likely covered... Purely cosmetic? Unlikely.

ETA: https://quotewizard.com/health-insuranc ... ic-surgery
Medicare and Medicaid

What does medicare.gov say about cosmetic surgery:

Medicare doesn't cover it unless it's needed for an accidental injury or to improve the function of a malformed body part.

Medicaid works similarly. But the federal government does give individual states some leeway for their Medicaid programs. Yours may cover – or not cover – plastic and cosmetic surgery differently than others.

Whatever the case may be, expect both Medicare and Medicaid to allow some exceptions.

For example, Medicare doesn’t cover breast augmentation. But it does cover breast prostheses and reconstruction if you have a mastectomy because of breast cancer. Part A pays for reconstruction surgery if done it’s in an inpatient setting. Part B pays for it if it’s done in an outpatient setting. Part B also pays for external breast prostheses, including a post-surgical bra.

See our “Guide to Medicare” to learn more about what this national health insurance program covers and doesn’t cover, by the way.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

But if you decide you want to be a woman, they'll gladly pony up for that surgery. :roll:

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I was curious and found this:
https://www.medicare.org/articles/does- ... r-surgery/

My guess is that the answer is: it depends. It looks like the States have a lot to say about what is and isn't included overall and specifically for plastic surgery. It could be one of those cases where only a persistent patient is going to work through the initial denials.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

My friend is pretty vain. He thought the song was about him.

However, he has never considered any kind of plastic surgery. If he had any extra money I think he would replace the boat he lost last week, rather than fixing his bald head.

So my friend is seeing a steady stream of what he would describe as lower income individuals entering a plastic surgery building near his other buddy’s business. He says none of who look disfigured by accident or young social media types.

And not what he would describe as drug abusers either.

He was curious of what the deal might be with plastic surgery now being such a big deal with average looking poor folks.

Or with the pandemic over and everyone with $1400, is getting a little lypo, what everyone wants now

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

philip964 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:22 pm My friend is pretty vain. He thought the song was about him.

However, he has never considered any kind of plastic surgery. If he had any extra money I think he would replace the boat he lost last week, rather than fixing his bald head.

So my friend is seeing a steady stream of what he would describe as lower income individuals entering a plastic surgery building near his other buddy’s business. He says none of who look disfigured by accident or young social media types.

And not what he would describe as drug abusers either.

He was curious of what the deal might be with plastic surgery now being such a big deal with average looking poor folks.

Or with the pandemic over and everyone with $1400, is getting a little lypo, what everyone wants now
Did he lose his guns when he lost his boat? You can thank me later for making this about guns. :mrgreen:
Charlie

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

flechero wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 pm But if you decide you want to be a woman, they'll gladly pony up for that surgery. :roll:
Only if you commit a serious crime and get sent to prison. :roll:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:05 am
flechero wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 pm But if you decide you want to be a woman, they'll gladly pony up for that surgery. :roll:
Sad but likely true in some States. Hopefully not Texas!

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:16 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:05 am
Sad but likely true in some States. Hopefully not Texas!
Yeah but if you want that all you have to do now is join the military. They now provide "transition" services :confused5
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You said Medicaid, but you probably meant Medicare. Medicaid is welfare.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

oohrah wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:50 am You said Medicaid, but you probably meant Medicare. Medicaid is welfare.
My friend says the people coming in are not elderly.

Return to “Off-Topic”