Joe Galloway

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TraCoun
Posts in topic: 2

Joe Galloway

Post by TraCoun »

If you have seen the movie "We Were Soldiers" and/or read the book it came from, you will remember Joe Galloway, the reporter in the movie (played by Barry Pepper). You'll also remember Col. Hal Moore (played by Mel Gibson). I found an article, "Joe Galloway: Old, Bold War Correspondent" in the latest edition of the USO magazine "On Patrol".

After the battle (11/14/65) Galloway spent years following the military. He served four tours in Vietnam, and covered the 1971 India-Pakistan War. In 1976 he UPI's bureau chief in Moscow. 3 years later he was back in the States. In 1982 he got back together with Col. Moore, and they started working on the book. That took 10 years, ending up the NY Times best seller for 17 weeks. Another 10 years got it turned into the movie.

I'm going to quote from the article for the really interesting part:
From that day to this, I've loved soldiers and Marines, and I feel more comfortable with them than any civilian audience I can think of," said Galloway. "Unfortunately I had to stop all that runnin' around, chasing up sand dues behind 19-year-old Marines, but I surely miss it. I hate to think of my friends over there and I ain't there for them. I ain't there to stand beside 'em, and I ain't there to cover 'em."

After all, they were there to cover him in 1996 when he lost his wife to cancer. Devastated, he sat on the edge of his bed all night. When he opened his blinds the next morning he saw a half dozen guys walking and talking on the sidewal outside his home. The a green van full of Army officers pulled up.
The Cavalry had arrived.
A colonel approached Galloway, snapped to attention, and while holding a firm salute, said, "Sir, we represent the 17,000 men and women of the 1st Cavalry Division. A long time ago you stood beside us in a very bad time and place. Now we are here to stand beside you."
Their appearnace stirred a mix of emotions in Galloway.
"You cannot buy such loyalty and friendship for millions," he said. "You can only earn it the hard way."
Two years after his wife's passing Galloway was awarded the Bronze Star Medal with "V" device for conspicuous heroism during the battle of Ia Drang - a distnction no other civilian has received for actions during the Viet Nam war.
I saw 2 things in this that seemed important to me.

There are some members of the media who get it, and who don't mind speaking it.

When people do things to support the military, the military notices. Some 30 years passed between the Ia Drang battle and Joe's wife passing. I'd be surprised if there was anyone who was active duty military in 1965 that still was at that time. But the military, specifically the 1st Air Cav, remembered. If you think that service personnel, of any gender, belief or service, don't appreciate any support you give them or express toward them, don't notice, think again.

TraCoun

WildBill

Re: Joe Galloway

Post by WildBill »

Great post Tracoun. Thanks. :thumbs2:
Good movie BTW and an excellent book.
NRA Endowment Member

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

The article can be read online at http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/public ... m=5425&l=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once the magazine loads, go to table of contents and click on the article (page 42). There are two Galloway articles.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

WildBill wrote:Good movie BTW and an excellent book.
WildBill,
Thanks a bunch. I have it on DVD and have watched it, well, I don't know how many times.
The "extra features" include footage from the 'basic training' they put the actors through. Very interesting.
And there was at least one clip with Col. Moore praising the finished movie for finally getting it right.
Thanx,
TraCoun

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

In the extra features there was a deleted scene when Colonel Hal Moore met with General Westmoreland and Robert McNamara in Saigon. The depiction of the meeting was very powerful, but I agree with the director that it was was best deleted. I think that the anti-war politics would have detracted from the overall impact and message of the film.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”