Uber bans firearms of all types

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Uber bans firearms of all types

Post by SA_Steve »

Uber and the other one had to leave San Antonio. The new mayor is said to try to get them back. The local taxi co's in this major convention city are keeping them out.

The new rule means nothing until they figure a way to enforce it.
You may have the last word.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

WildBill,

Thanks for the information.

mgood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mgood »

1. I didn't know what an Uber was until reading the article. Still wasn't real clear whether it was a taxi company or rental car agency or what until I read comments in this thread that clarified it. Obviously Uber does not play a critical role in my life.

2. Knowing their stance, I will attempt to avoid them.

3. If I must use this idiotic company, I'm not going to be too concerned about their policy. Go armed and risk "potentially losing access to the app" vs. going unarmed and potentially needing to defend myself without my pistol. Seems like a no-brainer.

blackdog8200
Posts in topic: 2

Post by blackdog8200 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Will the cars be posted with a compliant 30.06 sign?
Ianal
I wonder if by using the app (the only way to hail the uber vehicle) you are agreeing to their terms of service which means you have been given written notice? Hence no need for 30.06. Sign.

I could see the need for the other passengers that are not the actual app user.....

Ianal....

On a side note, the only time we use uber is when we don't wish to drive due to an alcohol related event so the guns stay at home anyway. But it's does irritate me.

PS the Sprouts grocery chain is 30.06 even though they tend to block signs with displays etc.....
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

blackdog8200 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Will the cars be posted with a compliant 30.06 sign?
Ianal
I wonder if by using the app (the only way to hail the uber vehicle) you are agreeing to their terms of service which means you have been given written notice? Hence no need for 30.06. Sign.

I could see the need for the other passengers that are not the actual app user.....

Ianal....

On a side note, the only time we use uber is when we don't wish to drive due to an alcohol related event so the guns stay at home anyway. But it's does irritate me.

PS the Sprouts grocery chain is 30.06 even though they tend to block signs with displays etc.....
Since we know we are being watched let's not give anyone any ideas.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

blackdog8200

Post by blackdog8200 »

Abraham wrote:The Dude,

Thanks for all the information.

Just curious: If you don't have a smart phone, are you in essence, not eligible to get a ride with Uber?

Or, are there other ways to communicate with them?

The smart phone has the GPS information that links you to the driver and processes the payment.
Harris County
NRA Life Member 1986

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I'm über sure me and my über guns will never step foot in an über car driven by some über unknown person because I do not have a ride in my own über vehicle. This setup sounds über risky and is just über insane IMÜO.

:mrgreen:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

anygunanywhere wrote:I'm über sure me and my über guns will never step foot in an über car driven by some über unknown person because I do not have a ride in my own über vehicle. This setup sounds über risky and is just über insane IMÜO.

:mrgreen:
:iagree:
I don't ever see myself on either side of an uber transaction
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

It's making uber money and there are uber numbers of people around the world using the service. It's not for everyone but it works great for many.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:It's making uber money and there are uber numbers of people around the world using the service. It's not for everyone but it works great for many.
At least it gives people an alternative to regular taxis services.
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Exactly.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 7

Post by VMI77 »

It seems like an especially dangerous proposition for female passengers to start with. You're just going to hop into some stranger's private vehicle? Why not just put your thumb out and hitchhike? And for the drivers? Cab driving is a more dangerous occupation than law enforcement. Taxi drivers have a higher death rate than police. And on top of that I saw an economic analysis for drivers awhile back and I don't see how it even makes economic sense. The whole basis of Uber is the corporation foisting maintenance, operating, and capital costs off on drivers and skimming a profit off their revenue stream. When all costs are considered Uber driving pays substantially less than minimum wage.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

WildBill wrote:It's hard to tell about how much a ride is going to cost.
I have read that the rates increase drastically during "peak" hours so they are a lot more than a cab.
Also, not all areas are served by Uber.
I think that mostly in downtown areas of the cities, not so much in the suburbs.
1) It's easy to get a fare estimate. Tap the "estimate" button.
2) They do have peak hours. This is an attempt to free-market the industry. Fares go up, more drivers are encouraged to work. There are a few "really high" fare stories on the internet, but again, it's easy to know what it's going to cost.
3) Uber and Lyft have been met with stiff resistance in most major cities. The cab companies are essentially monopolistic and don't want the competition.
4) You can get service in the suburbs of pretty much any major city that's served.

In my experience, they're cheaper than cabs. They're also much more reliable than cabs - you can see when they're on the way in real time. In Austin, Yellow Cab, has failed to show up for me about 50% of the time - even when booked in advance and confirming a cab. Business response: "we're sorry" - right.. especially when you're depending on them to make a flight.

There may be policies against CHL, I don't recall those terms... But most major employers who have people driving cars/trucks don't allow firearms by policy.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

VMI77 wrote:It seems like an especially dangerous proposition for female passengers to start with. You're just going to hop into some stranger's private vehicle? Why not just put your thumb out and hitchhike? And for the drivers? Cab driving is a more dangerous occupation than law enforcement. Taxi drivers have a higher death rate than police. And on top of that I saw an economic analysis for drivers awhile back and I don't see how it even makes economic sense. The whole basis of Uber is the corporation foisting maintenance, operating, and capital costs off on drivers and skimming a profit off their revenue stream. When all costs are considered Uber driving pays substantially less than minimum wage.
https://www.uber.com/safety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.uber.com/safety/code-of-conduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had more bad taxi experiences in big cities than I can count. Uber and similar services will live and die by their actual delivery of customer satisfaction, which includes safety, service and respect for customers and drivers. Contrast that to Taxi unions and other government-"licensed" taxi oligarchies that have been granted government protection and appear, in my personal experience, to contract out driving of their licensed cabs to drivers who meet less stringent standards than Uber drivers. Give an Uber driver a few bad reviews and we'll see how long Uber allows him to keep taking fares. You'll never get that kind of preening from a regular taxi service.

Uber and the like will have their problems, just like any other paradigm-breaking venture. They'll work the kinks out and Taxi service will be forced to improve as well, or be destined to the dustbin like CD's and the SONY Walkman.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”