Portable Generators

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Portable Generators

Post by mrvmax »

TxRVer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 pm I'm thinking the 22kw Generac at around $5000 is not a bad deal. Right now they have a deal for two extra years of warranty for a total of 7. Installation is shown to be $2000. Does anyone know if they ever have an installation special?
I got two quotes last year for a whole house propane gen and they were both at 12k installed. If you can get it for 7k that's a bargain.

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxRVer »

mrvmax wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:19 pm
TxRVer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 pm I'm thinking the 22kw Generac at around $5000 is not a bad deal. Right now they have a deal for two extra years of warranty for a total of 7. Installation is shown to be $2000. Does anyone know if they ever have an installation special?
I got two quotes last year for a whole house propane gen and they were both at 12k installed. If you can get it for 7k that's a bargain.
Until I checked the other day, I was under the impression (from previous searches) a whole house generator would cost $10k. Have prices come down, or what?
Charlie

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

TxRVer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 pm
Until I checked the other day, I was under the impression (from previous searches) a whole house generator would cost $10k. Have prices come down, or what?
If they have let me know, I checked when they were not particularly busy and checked with two different places (I actually requested quotes from two more local places but they did not answer me until several weeks later so I ignored them). I really never expected that much, I thought maybe $3500 for the gen and another 3k to install. Boy I was way off.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:18 pm
TxRVer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 pm
If they have let me know, I checked when they were not particularly busy and checked with two different places (I actually requested quotes from two more local places but they did not answer me until several weeks later so I ignored them). I really never expected that much, I thought maybe $3500 for the gen and another 3k to install. Boy I was way off.
You weren’t that far off. If you see above, $5000 for gen and $2000 for install, you were only $500 low. On install, it really depends on where they can install the transfer switch and the run from the meter or disconnect to the panel. However, copper prices are skyrocketing again, as well as the cost of PVC electrical conduit, so I would expect a increase in installation costs soon if nor already.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Whole house gens are likely the biggest waste of money for those that don’t have money to waste. Now take my neighbor, cash flowing out from every crevice of the body, he’s fine to do it. But to spend $7-12k for electric (when electric doesn’t usually fail or there aren’t regular rolling black outs like CA) plus the cost of fuel & fuel storage, is a ridiculous amount per kWh used, in an off chance. Living in Houston, I leave when canes head our way. The recent ice storm is an anomaly and in my 45 yrs of life, the most I’ve done without power was the recent ice storm for about 48hrs. Even still, doing without power is an inconvenience for most people. Of course some may have medical equipment and those folks need to be very mindful & elderly as well, but most of us are just ticked off cause we were cold and couldn’t watch tv.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Texas_Blaze wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:55 pm Whole house gens are likely the biggest waste of money for those that don’t have money to waste. Now take my neighbor, cash flowing out from every crevice of the body, he’s fine to do it. But to spend $7-12k for electric (when electric doesn’t usually fail or there aren’t regular rolling black outs like CA) plus the cost of fuel & fuel storage, is a ridiculous amount per kWh used, in an off chance. Living in Houston, I leave when canes head our way. The recent ice storm is an anomaly and in my 45 yrs of life, the most I’ve done without power was the recent ice storm for about 48hrs. Even still, doing without power is an inconvenience for most people. Of course some may have medical equipment and those folks need to be very mindful & elderly as well, but most of us are just ticked off cause we were cold and couldn’t watch tv.
That was pretty much my thoughts on it as well. Even if we lose power two or three days every couple years, it sure is hard for me to justify 7K for a generator.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PUCKER »

As a Generac stock holder....PLEASE do buy!! :biggrinjester:

The previous owner of our house had one, when he bugged out, he took it with him, he was long gone before we ever looked at the house - otherwise I would've made an offer to KEEP it...however, the concrete pad for it along with the NG pipe is still there, so, that will help with installation should we ever decide to do a full house genny. There are a few in our neighborhood - story goes (from neighbors that have been there awhile) that the transformer to the neighbor was very unreliable and for several years there were major power interruptions - so, enter the whole house gennies...I will say that having NG to your house is a HUGE thing...also, we used the gas fireplace the whole time, as you can imagine.

I have two portable gennies and we used one of them to keep us operational.

philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

So a building is being demolished. It has a 100 KVA diesel generator. Stewart and Stephenson with 900 hrs. I ask what’s happening with the generator. They respond do you want it. I say sure. How much and they say just take it.

I line up a contractor to move it. And yeah they sign a contract that the demolition contractor gets the generator.

I will always miss it.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 92f-fan »

just get the 2021 F150 with the 7kw gen set built in - its only a $750 option

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 92f-fan »

Here is an option
If you have a power switch by your furnace like I do, you can make it easy to power from a gen set without "back feeding ". Just replace the power going to the furnace with a male plug, and replace the switch with an outlet. Then 99.99% of the time the furnace is plugged into the outlet - in a storm, you unplug the furnace from the dead outlet and into the extension cord from your generator ...
Last edited by 92f-fan on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 12

Post by puma guy »

philip964 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:03 pm So a building is being demolished. It has a 100 KVA diesel generator. Stewart and Stephenson with 900 hrs. I ask what’s happening with the generator. They respond do you want it. I say sure. How much and they say just take it.

I line up a contractor to move it. And yeah they sign a contract that the demolition contractor gets the generator.

I will always miss it.
You certainly would have been popular in the neighborhood! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPBrown »

Like I said earlier, I have a Ford 11000 watt that works great in an outage. The biggest reason I got a generator is because my wife is on oxygen 24/7. Yes she has the portable cylinders but they are only good for a couple of hours and really too heavy for her to carry around the house. Now, just a couple of months ago, we went with the Indogen that has a rechargeable portable. But it’s only good for 2.5 hours a battery. With the time we were without power along with the large area that had no power, we had nowhere else to go.
We also had just stocked our freezers with a side of beef and a whole hog. I am too old to unload all of that meat into oh, my pickup bed and then back again.
Plus, I was able to pull a cord to my neighbors house and give them heat
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 12

Post by puma guy »

I was searching the net for the Ford generators (they are made by Pulsar) and while reading reviews I saw on from a fellow in Naples, Florida I assume. He had purchased the 15KW Pulsar model (large for a portable) . What caught my attention was his comment that permitting for a permanent generator is a nightmare. I would think in hurricane Florida it would be a simple feat, but perhaps invading liberals decided control and thumb on the neck pressure was more important than the well being of residents. :banghead:
permits for a permanent unit in Naples is a nightmare. I takes over three months to get approvals, unit has to be on a re-bar enforced slab and many more restrictions. Oh yes, you need an architectural rendition to start. I received cost figures of up to $2,500 just to get all this done.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

puma guy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:37 pm I was searching the net for the Ford generators (they are made by Pulsar) and while reading reviews I saw on from a fellow in Naples, Florida I assume. He had purchased the 15KW Pulsar model (large for a portable) . What caught my attention was his comment that permitting for a permanent generator is a nightmare. I would think in hurricane Florida it would be a simple feat, but perhaps invading liberals decided control and thumb on the neck pressure was more important than the well being of residents. :banghead:
permits for a permanent unit in Naples is a nightmare. I takes over three months to get approvals, unit has to be on a re-bar enforced slab and many more restrictions. Oh yes, you need an architectural rendition to start. I received cost figures of up to $2,500 just to get all this done.
Not easy in Houston either.

There is a tax holiday coming up. Supposedly emergency generators are included.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

I stumbled across a video today that might help someone out.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Off-Topic”