Who didn’t lose power?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

QB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who didn’t lose power?

Post by QB »

In Carrollton (The Homestead subdivision) and did not lose power or anything else. Very lucky!!!
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

out in east texas, near sulphur springs. we never lost power, only had some weird on of on off on off stuff on the saturday before they fixed it the next day and we never had any more issues
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

powerboatr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:23 am out in east texas, near sulphur springs. we never lost power, only had some weird on of on off on off stuff on the saturday before they fixed it the next day and we never had any more issues
I got a ticket in Sulphur Springs back in the ‘70’s. No credit cards back then. Fortunately I had enough cash to pay the ticket and gas for the rest of the way home.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Up here close to the Red River, my house and area didn't lose power. We get our power from the Southwest Rural Electric (SWRE) Co-op that also provides power to several counties in southwest Oklahoma (thus the name). We had some flickers a few times, and the website that shows power outages reported a few customers in our area as being without power, but it was a tiny handful. Up to this point, including during some other rough thunderstorms that knocked out power elsewhere in the area, the Co-op has managed to do a great job keeping the power on. My wife called them and asked about rising rates, they told her nope, your rate stays the same and you just pay for the KWH you used. Of course, they also told her that rates will likely rise across the board sometime in the future, but not directly due to the winter storm.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

We are within the Lewisville ISD area. We lost power late in the cycle for about an hour. We never got to a boil order for our water and it flowed the whole time. Our internet was out 90% of the time from Monday until Thursday and then was intermittent for several more days. We have Frontier FIOS (was Verizon). We are on CoServ for electric

What is interesting is that our son is in a development about 2.5 miles as the crow flies from us and also has CoServ. He never had solid power from Monday until late Wednesday night. His was the only "rolling" blackout story near us. Several others less than a mile to the East had a solid power outage for 3 days. A municipal building is not too far from us so perhaps we were spared outages in an effort to keep power running there on a common power feed. It would have to be at the sub-station level.

I had my generator at the ready and could have kept the furnace running as long as the natural gas flow held sufficient pressure. We lived in Colleyville for the big cold snap in 1989 and we did not have sufficient gas flow there. We had gas logs and they were useless, too. Fortunately, we had two fireplaces and I had kept one for wood. I had a good firewood supply but the house was very spread out and that fireplace couldn't keep things warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Both the cold supply and the trap for the washing machine froze in the wall. This time, we had no problem like that.

Our biggest problem was that electric power was off to several local grocery stores. The other stores that remained open were quickly picked clean. Who knew that there would runs on things like cat litter?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

You couldnt find water in my area with divining rods. H E B was the first to start restocking after the freeze.

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

Never lost power but did have a 3 day boil water notice. We live in south Newton County.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

Inside Burnet city limits never lost Electricity nor Natural gas pressure for heat.

.. 2 degrees was lowest temp I saw, I intend to add a dual fuel generator with natural gas conversion kit from LP/Propane for the House basic needs refridge/freezer/microwave plus 500-900watt A/C (6000btu - 10,000 btu Window A/C)

Area had a temporary propane & gasoline s shortage ... for generators

... of course some peoples' pipes froze... there appears to be a PVC shortage right now ... switching our Church water well house to PEX with more insulation than before ... I think everyone learned stuff

Years Ago I learned my 45,000BTU CENTRAL GAS heat would not light with no electricity for the glo-plug igniter & squirrel cage fan & I installed two 20,000BTU "portable/wall mount VENTLESS/Unvented gas MrHeater units which ignite using a DOUBLE A AA battery spark... glad I did that, those are what I used to let other people use electricity instead of myself using much... they were more than good enough

We DID lose Spectrum cable Internet for two hours during the ordeal ... and5 hours after it was all over while they worked on stuff ( & VOIP phone service )

ELB

Post by ELB »

GVEC (Guadalupe County and a few others) went to rolling blackouts fairly early, about 60-90 minutes off then 60-90 minutes back on. Never lost internet service as far as I could tell (which was amazing being AT&T) and I had the AT*T router and the TV on separate backup power supplies, so I still had phone and movies even on the breaks for a couple days, until the backup batteries started getting depleted. Takes longer to put electricity in than it does to take it out. Got some texts from GVEC explaining what was going on, but not until the second day of rolling blackout By then I had figured out what was going on. Overall I was reasonably happy with GVEC's service. I just treated the blackout periods as "schedule nap time." The cats approved.

My water slowed down, had weak pressure, and then would quit periodically. I could not see anything under house or in yard that was wrong. Called water co-op, they still had President's day-we-are-closed recording on Tuesday, but gave an afterhours trouble number to leave a voicemail. I left a message asking if there was a system problem, but no one ever called back. hmph. When weather warmed up I suddenly had a leak in the yard. The people who had the property ahead of me had a sprinkler system in the back yard that they tapped off the main line into the house. It came up out of the ground and had a valve on it, then went back underground to go the the sprinkler. It was broken and the sprinkler heads buried when I bought the place, so I cut the tap line off below ground and capped it and it was fine for the last 15 years until last week. Water in the stub apparently froze, cracking it but the ice kept it from leaking. I guess the ice pushed into the mainline, which lessened the flow to the house. When warmed up it started flooding the yard. I shut off water at the street, dug it out, cut it off deeper, and recapped it. So far so good, but when the weather stabilizes I am going to remove that section entirely so there is no tap or stub off the mainline at all.

ETA: I work an hourly job as a manger of a storage facility. We did not open the office last week, and I came in a few times for an hour to check on things (and to keep from turning into Jack Nicholson in The Shining), then left. To keep my paycheck up to snuff I put in some vacation hours on my timesheet. The owners just emailed me and said they were covering 16 hours of the "snovid 🥶" (I love that!) so I will save on some of the vacation time. That was nice of them.
USAF 1982-2005

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

Daja vu

Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Daja vu
This is a little early to be running into these issues...

whatever it's worth...aluminum foil on the windows looks real ugly... but it works
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

How about a couple more Nuclear Reactors to supplement the Grid!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

We have CoServe as our provider and also have a Nest thermostat. When these come out, Coserve will turn our Nest off for an hour or so. But it will first turn in on and cool the house... In the end, it doesnt really bother us. They give us a $100.00 credit once per year for being part of the program... I've paid for my nest several times over....

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

crazy2medic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:03 pm How about a couple more Nuclear Reactors to supplement the Grid!
They had approval to expand the one in NTX, and were going to try to expand the one in STX, but cheap natural gas made it more appealing to do natural gas power plants. As a result, the operators of the nuclear plants put their expansion plans on hold indefinitely.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Paladin wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:59 pm
philip964 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 pm

Daja vu
This is a little early to be running into these issues...

whatever it's worth...aluminum foil on the windows looks real ugly... but it works
I 100% agree! We live in Plano and some neighborhoods have already experienced short power outages. We are not really into the real Texas heat we all know is coming. If they are already having issues it is going to get real bad at 98-100+!!!

Return to “Off-Topic”