Being a police officer is a tough job.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Being a police officer is a tough job.

Post by philip964 »

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michae ... y-wounded/

Woman stopped for being in a car with 6 warrants.

Goes downhill from there.

Video shows woman shooting police officer before being shot herself.

He lives she dies, but is able to drive off before she does.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Being a police officer is a tough job.

Post by crazy2medic »

And having a suspect swallow a handful of Fentanyl and die in your custody, then your charged with murder!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

philip964 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:51 pm https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michae ... y-wounded/

I've watched the body-cam and dash-cam videos of this incident. It starts the same way all OIS situations begin. Arguing with the police officer rather than listening. Officer Baker warned her she'd get tased if she did not comply. But, pulling a gun on the police officer is stupid and will never end well. The cop fixed her stupid, permanently!

Meanwhile, the woman's mother is upset as to why the cop had to shoot her just because she shot the cop. The family wants the officer investigated for using excessive force. Can you believe it?? She fired first!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

OneGun wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:43 pm Meanwhile, the woman's mother is upset as to why the cop had to shoot her just because she shot the cop. The family wants the officer investigated for using excessive force. Can you believe it?? She fired first!
Yes. I can absolutely believe it. It's 2021.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

OneGun wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:43 pm
philip964 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:51 pm https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michae ... y-wounded/

I've watched the body-cam and dash-cam videos of this incident. It starts the same way all OIS situations begin. Arguing with the police officer rather than listening. Officer Baker warned her she'd get tased if she did not comply. But, pulling a gun on the police officer is stupid and will never end well. The cop fixed her stupid, permanently!

Meanwhile, the woman's mother is upset as to why the cop had to shoot her just because she shot the cop. The family wants the officer investigated for using excessive force. Can you believe it?? She fired first!
They honestly believe they should be able to do anything they want, including killing the officer or anyone else.

The officer waited too long in my opinion, and ended up shot for that reason. Glad he's doing ok.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Paladin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:21 pm
They honestly believe they should be able to do anything they want, including killing the officer or anyone else.

The officer waited too long in my opinion, and ended up shot for that reason. Glad he's doing ok.
:iagree: But isn't the hesitation in using deadly force instead of just responding with his gun likely a product of today's environment? The cries will be that he pulled her over because of her ethnicity. He had no way to come out of the situation other than losing from the minute that she started to resist. If she hadn't shot him first and he had shot her for presenting the gun, he would be in even bigger trouble. I'm glad that he survived.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:56 am
Paladin wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:21 pm

:iagree: But isn't the hesitation in using deadly force instead of just responding with his gun likely a product of today's environment? The cries will be that he pulled her over because of her ethnicity. He had no way to come out of the situation other than losing from the minute that she started to resist. If she hadn't shot him first and he had shot her for presenting the gun, he would be in even bigger trouble. I'm glad that he survived.
Indeed
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

chasfm11 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:56 amBut isn't the hesitation in using deadly force instead of just responding with his gun likely a product of today's environment? The cries will be that he pulled her over because of her ethnicity. He had no way to come out of the situation other than losing from the minute that she started to resist. If she hadn't shot him first and he had shot her for presenting the gun, he would be in even bigger trouble. I'm glad that he survived.
I have no problem with the shooting itself or even his use of a TASER before it. I am glad the officer survived and have no problem with the driver not surviving.

I do have problems with the traffic stop itself though, from a professional point of view. The officer missed several potential signs that trouble was coming and should have had backup on the way earlier. The officer also used bad tactics in several spots.

What was the legal justification for the stop? From the public reports, the stop was illegal because it was based on the officer having run the plates and found that the owner of the car had warrants for his arrest. I was always taught that this is not sufficient probable cause for a traffic stop. He would need some valid reason to believe that the owner of the car was driving it. The additional information could be as little as seeing a Black male driving (based on the description attached to the warrants). But what occurred (a female driving and alone in the car when the warrants were for a male) is why just getting a warrant hit on the plate is not good enough to justify the stop.

I will give the officer the benefit of the doubt and assume that he had another valid reason for the stop, since I do not trust the news reports to be accurate. If he ran the plates and wanted to stop the car because of the warrant hit, I am very sure he could find a reason. One of the problems with our current laws is that most people cannot drive more than a block or two without committing some minor traffic violation. But I know that people will fight being arrested, even if for warrants. As soon as he decided to make a stop on that car, he should have had back-up on the way because he should have expected the fight.

A danger sign he missed is that the driver did not pull over very quickly. I understand moving away from the street into the lot, which is normal. But when she drove down one land in the lot and got to the end of the lane, she stopped for a second and then kept going. This is a sign that the driver is either looking for a spot to park other than what a normal driver looks for (safe and out of traffic) or about to run and get into a chase. Again, that is another time the officer should have been saying start me cover now. When she pulled back forward and up to the building, the driver had a reason for selecting that spot. The good tactic the officer used is how he parked at an angle on her car there.

My second problem is why he started the search. The video was edited and is not showing the whole stop. When the bad guys release a video that has been edited, I always say to wait until we see the whole thing. Unfortunately, the good guys do release videos with selective editing also. I want to see the whole video. Assuming the stop was for the warrant, the officer would have no excuse to go further than identifying the driver. Assuming the officer had a valid reason for the stop (because I do tend to trust the police and I acknowledge this bias), why is he doing more than for any traffic stop? Get her DL and write her ticket. There is something the video is not showing that made him want to get the purse and search it. But that is another point in time where you say get me a cover officer here now. Then when the officer found the weed in the purse, he does not get the woman secured before going further. An easy tactic for securing her would be to tell her she is not yet under arrest, but he did find the weed and since that is illegal, he wants her to sit in the back seat of his car while he checks the rest of the car. No need to cuff her yet and he can even say that he will release her without charges if he doesn't find anything else in the car.

But again giving the officer the benefit of the doubt, he probably had a good reason to search. But the tactics were very bad. Why let her go get her lighter in the car? That is when I expected her to get the gun (since I knew it was coming from the reason we were watching the video). Never let a suspect smoke a cigarette (remember how the trooper got in trouble for stopping Sandra Bland from smoking?). A lit cigarette is a very nasty weapon she could use in a fight or attack.

When the TASER did not work (the officer ended up drive stunning her - putting the tip of the TASER against her arm), the officer made a dumb mistake. Not too bad at that point, but a mistake nonetheless. He should have dropped the TASER when he went for his gun. The video shows him trying to hold both weapons and this hinders his use of the pistol. A very minor point but it was driven home to me in the academy that the law of gravity had not yet been repealed. Drop whatever is in your hands when you get into that kind of a situation. You need your hands to operate your pistol and they work best if you have both available.

Yes, some of these mistakes are definitely a response to the current social and political situation. I doubt that there are many officers in Texas that are willing to stop a female suspect, especially a Black one, from smoking a cigarette after the trooper was fired. But it is a mistake to allow it to happen anyway.

My last point is not meant as a condemnation of the officer, but is a training point for other officers. I do not know how bad hit was injured in the shooting and whether or not it penetrated the vest. He did a good job of continuing to fight and gaining distance until the suspect drove off. But after he radioed in that he was hit. he sort of gave up. He was getting back up after being knocked to the ground (not by the bullet but by the shock of how it happened) and was calling in that it had gone south (shots fired). When he said he was hit, it was like the fact that he was hurt hit him and he fell back down and laid there. There is a mental attitude needed in situations like this that says something along the lines of "I am still breathing so I am still fighting." This is part of police training and should be part of the training and practice of anyone carrying a gun for self-defense. We all need to remember that the fight is not over when the shots are fired. It is not over just because the known suspect has left the area. While not as bad for LTCs as it is for police, there are a lot of people out there who will take advantage of you being incapacitated and lying in the street. For the LTCs, hopefully there are more people willing to step in and help than there are for the police (it seems), but there is still a threat too.

I certainly hope that the whole unedited video is released, at least to police training classes. There are a lot of things cops can learn from this shooting.
Steve Rothstein

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

srothstein wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am There is a mental attitude needed in situations like this that says something along the lines of "I am still breathing so I am still fighting." This is part of police training and should be part of the training and practice of anyone carrying a gun for self-defense. We all need to remember that the fight is not over when the shots are fired. It is not over just because the known suspect has left the area. While not as bad for LTCs as it is for police, there are a lot of people out there who will take advantage of you being incapacitated and lying in the street. For the LTCs, hopefully there are more people willing to step in and help than there are for the police (it seems), but there is still a threat too.

I certainly hope that the whole unedited video is released, at least to police training classes. There are a lot of things cops can learn from this shooting.
All good words! This part bears repeating.

After being hit, staying in the fight is critical, as is self medical aid.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Yes, first clue was searching hard to find just the right spot to stop. Officer did a great job of blocking her and getting his camera to see everything.

Was she making time to hide stuff? Or thinking about running.

I was told that police are trained to keep people in there cars.

That’s the way it is in Houston. Stay in car, hands gripping steering wheel at 10 and 2.

This lady is all over the place.

Liked how he removed drugs from her purse and showed them to his body cam.

But then the. “ I need to use the restroom “. Dead give away somethings up.

Kinda like “ I’m claustrophobic “.

I never saw her gun.

The gun fight was 2 seconds at most. Almost instantaneous from struggling woman resisting arrest to attempted murder.

Fatal wound but she is driving off.

Tough job.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-sheriff-fi ... 55512.html

Seven officers fired for death of man in jail.

Collin County, North of Dallas.

Acting out at shopping mall. Officers concerned about he was on drugs. Pepper sprayed. Spit hood.

Return to “Off-Topic”