NASCAR Debut at COTA Truck Race!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 6

NASCAR Debut at COTA Truck Race!!

Post by PUCKER »

So pumped!! Making my NASCAR debut at the COTA Truck race in the #49!! A lot of my buddies are also doing this race - it's going to be FUN / CRAZY!!

SCCA racer Brad Gross enters COTA Trucks for CMI, NASCAR debut
https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2021 ... car-debut/

Stay tuned for more details, livery reveal, etc...thank you for your support / trash talking!! LOL!!!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NASCAR Debut at COTA Truck Race!!

Post by Jusme »

Congrats!!
Is there any TV coverage of the race?
Good luck.
I believe we have a mutual friend who used to be into extreme Jeep rock climbing. If your Jeep was named the same as your user name.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Jusme wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:08 pm Congrats!!
Is there any TV coverage of the race?
Good luck.
I believe we have a mutual friend who used to be into extreme Jeep rock climbing. If your Jeep was named the same as your user name.
Yes, race is live on FS1 on Saturday, May 22, at noon. Tune in!!

It's very likely that we do...yes, I still answer to PUCKER (it's only a few folks that still know that name)...that was also the name of my Jeep...more people knew my Jeep's name than me...and I was A-OK with that! :biggrinjester: :cheers2: For the record...I have not calmed down ONE bit! :biggrinjester:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Ok I’ll be watching. Been watching more NASCAR since I have time free of the NFL and MLB
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Even I can tell that isn't your #49 Silverado in the linked photo, but is that the SCCA car you drive?

Man. We got folks with all sorts of skills in here!

Luck and stay safe!
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

PUCKER wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:04 pm Yes, race is live on FS1 on Saturday, May 22, at noon. Tune in!!
And I get FS1 on Xfinity! Cool! Noon is Central time, right?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Rafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:19 pm
PUCKER wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:04 pm Yes, race is live on FS1 on Saturday, May 22, at noon. Tune in!!
And I get FS1 on Xfinity! Cool! Noon is Central time, right?
Yes, Noon Central!

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Jusme wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 pm Ok I’ll be watching. Been watching more NASCAR since I have time free of the NFL and MLB
Thank you! Tell your friends too!! :cheers2:

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Rafe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:14 pm Even I can tell that isn't your #49 Silverado in the linked photo, but is that the SCCA car you drive?

Man. We got folks with all sorts of skills in here!

Luck and stay safe!
I do not own the #49 Silverado, CMI Motorsports does...I'm just the driver for the COTA Truck race.

However, yes, that is my lucky #13 that I own / race in both Trans Am TA2 and SCCA GT2 (the car crosses over between Trans Am / Pro and SCCA / Club - that is one of the *many* reasons that I love that car!).

Thank you! I also instruct at Eagles Canyon Raceway, outside of Decatur...so, if you get the itch! :biggrinjester:

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

My first-hand review of my "not so great" NASCAR Debut at COTA!

NASCAR at COTA Review

Friday Practice: 

I got sent out late due to issues then on my first lap the track went FCY (Full Course Yellow) then Red Flagged due to a stalled truck (my buddy Roger Reuse in the #3 “I ❤️ Mac n Cheese” truck)...I pulled into pit lane, once released I went out that lap and started to get up to speed…I had to make up for lost time and QUICK!! I noticed the brakes were a little off in the hard braking zones in Turns 11 and 12 and I swung wide in both corners…, OK, back up the brake zones a bit…then on the front straight I had a pretty good run coming up the 133 feet of elevation into T1, I was up to 4th gear…I hit the brakes HARD…and they went to the FLOOR!!! At 130 MPH or so…hey that wall is coming pretty quick!! I pitched it in HARD to both scrub speed (turning is braking) and avoid a head-on with the wall….I ended up spinning and stopped well short of the wall, thankfully!! My Angels were surrounding me - pro tip: don’t ever outrun them!! So, the truck stalled, it would not refire. Got pushed back to paddock by one of the rescue wreckers. The brake issue was a pinhole leak in one of the brake lines, the crew replaced the line, we bled the brakes and that issue was solved. Tried refiring to go back out and it would not retire. Then time ran out. We've got some changes to make, debrief should yield some good results for qualifying…hopefully…!

Ilmor replaced the ECU and throttle body and that solved the refire issue and we were good for qualifying…but that turned into another mess 😂 

Saturday Qualifying:

Some days are great, some are not as great! Saturday was one of those days, it was still a fantastic day and we had a blast at NASCAR at COTA! 

Qualifying in the rain was pretty exciting! I couldn’t see, my glasses fogged up, no blower on my helmet, but I moved on…I lost control in T7 and backed it into the wall, minor damage and kept on going! I failed to qualify. That’s racing!! Thank you everyone for your support, this has been an AMAZING experience, the whole thing!!

In the end I learned a LOT, I had an experience that very few get to have and I got some TV time and the sponsors are very happy!! Thank you for enjoying the ride with me!! A HUGE thank you to my partners for helping to make this happen: Quasar Cloud Data, Fort Worth Screen Printing and Manufacturing News!!!

From FS1 coverage of Friday's practice here's a nice video of me being “brave” - there’s a fine line between being BRAVE and losing your brakes!! 😂 

Return to “Off-Topic”