No place but Minneapolis

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: No place but Minneapolis

Post by Beiruty »

From the video I watched, it seems an accidental shooting. Yes we are all prone to do mistakes.
Many of you do not know what does it feel when you are under "adrenaline dump". It is real and I went through it once and I hope it would never happen. It is an auto-pilot mode where you are fighting for your life. It is kill or get killed and would kick in when you feel your life is in extreme danger. My point, your faculty of reasoning is reduced to level of the instincts of survival of cornered cat against a large predator.

She would be tried, but not convicted.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 23

Post by philip964 »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN2C11UY

Officer Arrested, expected to be charged with 2nd degree Manslaughter. Penalty if convicted up to 10 years.

Guy was a thug. Video on line of him being a thug with a gun, in a music video.

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 5

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:29 pm From the video I watched, it seems an accidental shooting. Yes we are all prone to do mistakes.
Many of you do not know what does it feel when you are under "adrenaline dump". It is real and I went through it once and I hope it would never happen. It is an auto-pilot mode where you are fighting for your life. It is kill or get killed and would kick in when you feel your life is in extreme danger. My point, your faculty of reasoning is reduced to level of the instincts of survival of cornered cat against a large predator.

She would be tried, but not convicted.
How long have you had a firearm to know there are no "accidental" shootings? If a 25 year veteran of the police force goes on "auto-pilot" and kills a motorist for resisting arrest and it's OK, I'm beginning to think the kooks are right, we need to get rid of the police. I don't know about all of you, but I train, practice, and practice more so when a bad situation arrives, I know what to do without thinking about it. No one can prepare for every situation, but how many traffic stops has a 25 year police veteran made? One would think a city's department would train their LEO's to subdue to a resisting motorist without having to use deadly force, right? Here's a hypothetical, suppose an LEO was intending to deploy pepper spray but instead fired a single round to the motorists head? The officer meant to grab the pepper spray, but grabbed the firearm on "accident". That's a similar situation no?
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AndyC1911 »

I believe she'll be convicted of manslaughter.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

AndyC1911 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm I believe she'll be convicted of manslaughter.
Agree 100%.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

parabelum wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:35 pm
AndyC1911 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm I believe she'll be convicted of manslaughter.
Agree 100%.
Well if they have to show reckless endangerment as part of the charge, I would say no.

In light of her statements, it appears it was unintentional, which fits the manslaughter charge. Without the camera, she could have said he disobeyed my orders to not get in the car, it was dark, I thought he had a gun.

So here the body cam will convict her.

I suspect new police recruits will be difficult to get in the future. I expect crime will surge, especially in states with may issue concealed carry and their like.

Will the family get a 24 million dollar payday? Will they sue Taser for not making the taser feel different or announce that it is a taser, you betcha.

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AndyC1911 »

It all sucks :(

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

I suspect the bodycam footage will be used in academy training as what NOT to do. Especially as it pertains to telling the difference between firearm and taser.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

All this is wonderful except for one major issue that is not being discussed. The actual cause for these shootings. If the suspected criminals in almost all police shootings had simply complied and allowed the courts to handle things, all these thugs would still be alive today. Until the messaging changes to the real reason for these shootings, criminals resisting arrest or attempting to flee, it will continue to happen. The anti police rhetoric coming from leftist scum is making these criminal thugs feel empowered to fight the police.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:44 pm If the suspected criminals in almost all police shootings had simply complied and allowed the courts to handle things, all these thugs would still be alive today.
Without question and it doesn't matter if they are black, white or hispanic... Whites & hispanics get shot for attacking officers as well. But that doesn't fit the narrative. We can't all be racists, in a racist society if the criminals actions actually dictate how they are treated/handled.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

The Force Science Institute has published a good piece on slip capture errors that may help explain how the unintentional shooting happened in Minnesota.

It's a good read and can be found here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -upgraded/

The Houston relatives of the man killed want the charges upgraded to murder.

Is there some Houston Minneapolis connection for these men who quarrel with the police.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

philip964 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -upgraded/

The Houston relatives of the man killed want the charges upgraded to murder.

Is there some Houston Minneapolis connection for these men who quarrel with the police.
It appears Houston is some kind of breeding ground for criminal thugs.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:08 am This is straight from the Minnesota Statues - Manslaughter 2 - (1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; - She meant to grab the Taser and grabbed her gun instead.

Open & shut.
I am not as sure as you that it is open and shut. I would also need to read their legal definition of culpable negligence. I am assuming that it is similar to ours. But my bigger questions are how did she create "an unreasonable risk"? What did she do that created this risk? And what was her mental state when she did it? And I am also pretty sure that the video clearly shows that she did not "consciously takes chances" of causing a death or harm. If she honestly thought she was pulling her Taser, you cannot show the risk of killing was "consciously".

Obviously, I am not taking into account any of the politics of the situation, just the actual incident. I am also basing this on my understanding of the law, which is based on Texas and not Minnesota. Both factors will make a difference in the outcome of any trial.
Steve Rothstein

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

If a 25 year police vet doesn't know how to subdue a resisting motorist without using deadly force, that is a serious problem. It's either negligence, or incompetence. Take your pick.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Return to “Off-Topic”