SCOTUS: Dems introduce bill to add 4 new Justices

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SCOTUS: Dems introduce bill to add 4 new Justices

Post by jmra »

srothstein wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 pm What I honestly do not understand is how the Democrats can honestly believe they will stay in power forever. It will change and hopefully the Republicans (or their replacement) will show the Democrats that they learned their lessons. The Democrats went to 13 because that is enough to get them a majority now. They feel the current balance is 6-3 and 4 more liberals would give them an unbeatable majority. I think it is 5-4 now because there is no way I can count Roberts as a conservative justice.

But if the Republicans take office, they won't add just two to get a majority back. They will add ten so they have a majority for a much longer time. And they will do a lot of other things like completely change the rules on getting bills passed, etc.

The Republicans have not done this when they were in power because they believe in fairness and not payback like that. But in the past 6 months, I would bet they have learned a few lessons.
I firmly believe if the filibuster is eliminated that Republicans will never control the big 3 again.
If we go simple majority in the senate for every vote several things will happen:
1. Supreme Court packing. Goodbye 2nd amendment.
2. Addition of multiple states to the union that will be democrat strongholds. This would give Dems at least 4 more seats in the Senate and widen margin in the house.
3. Elimination of the Electoral College which would mean the end of any chance of a Republican being elected President.

I’ve never been a huge Texit supporter, but that could change soon.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

jmra wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:30 am I’ve never been a huge Texit supporter, but that could change soon.
The more I think on this, the more convinced I am that many Democrats are not doing this because they cave power (a motive I at least understand). I am becoming more convinced they are doing this to deliberately try to kick off a revolution and break up the United States. I know the hatred many of them have for our country (I don't understand it but I know it exists), and Occam's razor is leading more and more to think this is their goal.

One of the problem's many people have, and I know I do, is that we cannot understand a goal or motive that is so foreign to our way of thinking. But I am becoming convinced of it. Perhaps one of the best explanations of this is because the success of the US points out the weaknesses of their preferred systems. I may not say it right, but someone else said that the reason so many people hate the ones who don't like masks is not because of fear of COVID. It is because our attitude of not being afraid shows up their surrender to authority and lack of thinking. Maybe that comparison also applies on a larger scale to their motive for tearing apart the US.
Steve Rothstein

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chemist45 »

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/washing ... rust-court

Associate Justice Stephen Breyer said in a speech at Harvard Law School that "structural alteration" of the high court could erode the trust Americans have that the "court is guided by legal principle, not politics."

Who wants to tell him?
Um, Steve. . . That ship sailed. It sailed a long time ago.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 283819002/

SCOTUS decided that they wouldn’t hear a lower court agreeing that a lifetime permanent ban on gun ownership was reasonable punishment for copying a cassette tape or lying on a tax return.

They also decided that extending the receipt of ballots in Pennsylvania beyond the time allowed in their constitution due to the Postal Services delivery problems was moot, since the election was over. ( the lawsuit was filed before the election )

Seems no reason to pack the courts now.

Return to “Off-Topic”