CO: Forceful Arrest Of 73-Year-Old With Dementia

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 5

CO: Forceful Arrest Of 73-Year-Old With Dementia

Post by baseballguy2001 »

(Colorado) Police Chief Responds To Forceful Arrest Of 73-Year-Old With Dementia.

“We will have an independent investigation. We will have the lawsuit to work through. And, to be frank with you, we were not aware of the serious bodily injury. That was first brought to our attention yesterday,” 10 months after the arrest happened, now there will be an independent investigation. The older woman suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia, had a broken arm, dislocated shoulder and sprained wrist after her arrest.

She resisted the officer, so she's to blame right?

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/04/15/ ... e-lawsuit/
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Re: CO: Forceful Arrest Of 73-Year-Old With Dementia

An update to an arrest in Colorado that took place in June of 2020. Updated April 29, 2021, 2:59 PM CDT.

Two more Loveland, Colorado, police officers and a sergeant were placed on administrative leave after the arrest of a 73-year-old woman with dementia — an encounter that is now the focus of a criminal investigation.

Karen Garner suffered a dislocated shoulder, fractured arm and sprained wrist after she was slammed to the ground, hogtied and then placed in the back of a police car, according to a lawsuit separate from the criminal investigation.

On Tuesday, the Loveland City Manager's Office announced that Officers Tyler Blackett and Daria Jalali, along with Sgt. Philip Metzler, were placed on administrative leave.

Jalali was the responding officer during Garner's arrest and Metzler was the supervisor who arrived on scene, according to the lawsuit.

The disciplinary actions come days after the City Manager's Office released a video of three Loveland officers laughing about Garner's arrest. The footage came from a camera inside the Loveland Police Department and includes subtitles that haven’t been verified.

In it, Hopp says he thought the arrest went "great." The officer, along with two others, then watch the body camera video. Hopp asks, “Ready for the pop?” appearing to refer to the moment when he dislocated Garner's shoulder.

The Loveland Police Department said in a statement Wednesday that the officers' actions during the arrest are now the subject of a criminal investigation led by District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin and the Fort Collins Police Services.

It's very simple, don't resist right?
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

What color was Karen Garner? That's the only thing that matters. If she wasn't black, then this shouldn't even be a story.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Its not the ski resort. It is North of Boulder before you get to Fort Collins.

The population of Loveland is 0.37% Black. So it was a Caucasian woman who was arrested.

Probably the only thing good that will come of all this that has been going on is that police officer pay will go up.

Topic author
baseballguy2001

May 1, 2021 - 10:30 AM ET

3 Colorado Officers Involved In Forceful Arrest Of Woman With Dementia Resign

"I share the community's concerns on this. It hurt to see that," Loveland Police Chief Robert Ticer said of the body camera footage of the arrest during a press conference. "I've been in law enforcement 32 years, and what I saw in there hurt me, personally."

An investigation has also been launched by the office of the Eighth Judicial District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin. The district's Critical Incident Response Team, composed of investigators from 10 area agencies in Larimer and Jackson counties, will investigate the incident.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/01/99269847 ... tia-resign

They were already on administrative leave, If they didn't do anything wrong, why did they resign?

@ScottDLS - what possible difference could that make?
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:56 pm @ScottDLS - what possible difference could that make?
According to the media, it only ever matters if police officers are hostile/hurtful to BIPOC.

In other words, this doesn't fit the overall narrative.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Police misconduct is only important if the victim is black. Because White supremacy and systemic racism.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:56 pm May 1, 2021 - 10:30 AM ET

3 Colorado Officers Involved In Forceful Arrest Of Woman With Dementia Resign

"I share the community's concerns on this. It hurt to see that," Loveland Police Chief Robert Ticer said of the body camera footage of the arrest during a press conference. "I've been in law enforcement 32 years, and what I saw in there hurt me, personally."

An investigation has also been launched by the office of the Eighth Judicial District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin. The district's Critical Incident Response Team, composed of investigators from 10 area agencies in Larimer and Jackson counties, will investigate the incident.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/01/99269847 ... tia-resign

They were already on administrative leave, If they didn't do anything wrong, why did they resign?

@ScottDLS - what possible difference could that make?
The department likely told them to resign, or get fired. If they're gone, the department can disassociate itself from them and hope to fade off community (and national) outcries. If they resign, they can go elsewhere and find it easier to get another job once the hubbub has died down. If they're fired, it would be more difficult. I've seen it happen in Federal Civil Service (not police incident, just the resigned vs fired thing).

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://nbcmontana.com/news/nation-worl ... h-dementia

Colorado police officers charged in arrest of elderly women with dementia.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

philip964 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:25 pm https://nbcmontana.com/news/nation-worl ... h-dementia

Colorado police officers charged in arrest of elderly women with dementia.
Wow, count me as shocked. I didn't actually see that coming, I thought it would get swept under the rug. And for me, it wasn't just about the treatment during the arrest, it was how they acted afterward. Terrible attitudes about taking down an older lady with dementia.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:33 pm Police misconduct is only important if the victim is black. Because White supremacy and systemic racism.
Sad!!

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Prosecutors with the Eighth Judicial District Attorney's Office filed the charges against Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali, who resigned from the Loveland Police Department last month.

Hopp is facing charges including felony assault, causing serious bodily injury, and attempting to influence a public servant. Former officer Jalali is facing charges of failing to report use of force, and failing to intervene, court records seen by The Washington Post show.

Surveillance footage from the police department jailhouse showed two police officers, identified by CBS Denver as Hopp and Jalali, fist-bumping and laughing while watching body camera footage of the arrest.

If I were to guess, a plea bargain is probably in the works. If you were a juror and watched video of a ex-police officer break the arm of a citizen with dementia over and over in court, and then saw the same ex-officer on video laughing about the same arrest back at the station, the jury would throw the book at that ex-officer. Then again, what do I know? I'm not a lawyer.
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Former Colorado cop sentenced to 5 years for assaulting woman with dementia during 2020 arrest - Former officer Hopp accepted a plea agreement in March that allowed him to plead guilty to an amended charge of second-degree assault, a Class 4 felony, despite strong opposition from Garner's family. Judge Michelle Brinegar said Hopp responded incorrectly from the start and instead of taking a moment to reassess the situation, he continued to escalate, displaying "anger, bullying and aggressive behavior." She also called his behavior "deliberate, deceitful and calculated."

"This case is not about a mistake," Judge Brinegar said.

Another officer, Daria Jalali, is charged with three misdemeanors in connection with the arrest in an ongoing case. She is next scheduled to appear in court June 22.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... b797a53f8c
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

baseballguy2001 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:57 pm Former Colorado cop sentenced to 5 years for assaulting woman with dementia during 2020 arrest - Former officer Hopp accepted a plea agreement in March that allowed him to plead guilty to an amended charge of second-degree assault, a Class 4 felony, despite strong opposition from Garner's family. Judge Michelle Brinegar said Hopp responded incorrectly from the start and instead of taking a moment to reassess the situation, he continued to escalate, displaying "anger, bullying and aggressive behavior." She also called his behavior "deliberate, deceitful and calculated."

"This case is not about a mistake," Judge Brinegar said.

Another officer, Daria Jalali, is charged with three misdemeanors in connection with the arrest in an ongoing case. She is next scheduled to appear in court June 22.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... b797a53f8c
These low end of the Bell curve police officers unfortunately make it easy for anti-police pundits to try to paint all LEO's as bad, but fortunately they are the vast minority of officers. Hopp got his just treats and I hope Jalali does as well. The city of Loveland settled the civil suit for 3 million dollars, but Mrs. Garner can no longer live without assistance.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”