Distressed about lack of Constitutional Carry Support (Long)

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

cirus
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Distressed about lack of Constitutional Carry Support (Long)

Post by cirus »

Your missing the point. Its concealed. Throw a AR over your shoulder and walk into Walmart. Let me know when you do so I can be there and film the outcome.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ScottDLS »

It's already been done. Check out the web page of the group who shall not be named (Voldemort). The outcome is they ask you to leave, and you either leave or get arrested. The point is, permitless carry for long guns already exists in Texas. A previous post said "go all the way and let you carry an AR-15". Well you already can (legally) carry long guns (and SBR's, and machineguns, and short shotguns) open or concealed and nothing has happened. Why not handguns like the other 24 states?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

cirus

Post by cirus »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:29 pm It's already been done. Check out the web page of the group who shall not be named (Voldemort). The outcome is they ask you to leave, and you either leave or get arrested. The point is, permitless carry for long guns already exists in Texas. A previous post said "go all the way and let you carry an AR-15". Well you already can (legally) carry long guns (and SBR's, and machineguns, and short shotguns) open or concealed and nothing has happened. Why not handguns like the other 24 states?
Machine guns? :smilelol5: Full autos are illegal without a license. I wanna see you carry a SAW into Walmart :smilelol5: Like you say you will be asked to leave or be arrested so at best all you might be able to do is walk down the street with it. Won't be able to enter any business so basically you can't carry it anywhere.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

cirus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:44 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:29 pm It's already been done. Check out the web page of the group who shall not be named (Voldemort). The outcome is they ask you to leave, and you either leave or get arrested. The point is, permitless carry for long guns already exists in Texas. A previous post said "go all the way and let you carry an AR-15". Well you already can (legally) carry long guns (and SBR's, and machineguns, and short shotguns) open or concealed and nothing has happened. Why not handguns like the other 24 states?
Machine guns? :smilelol5: Full autos are illegal without a license. I wanna see you carry a SAW into Walmart :smilelol5: Like you say you will be asked to leave or be arrested so at best all you might be able to do is walk down the street with it. Won't be able to enter any business so basically you can't carry it anywhere.
Machine guns are not illegal "without a license". They are illegal if they are not registered in accordance with the National Firearms Act of 1934. I own two. One of which is quite concealable (a small submachinegun). The other one has a folding stock and an 11.5 BBL and is concealable in a backpack. Neither one is considered a handgun in Texas, so they do not require a license to carry in public. I don't know what the fascination with Walmart is, but they have generally made it known that they don't want open carry of handguns in their stores, though they don't post 30.07 signs. Other stores that do allow open carry would probably be OK with my subgun, which is about the size of an AR15 pistol, but heavier. If I wanted to carry though, I'd conceal in a backpack. The point is, why is permitless handgun carry such a stretch in Texas, when permitless long gun and other firearm carry has been legal for a long time?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

cirus

Post by cirus »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:08 pm
Machine guns are not illegal "without a license". They are illegal if they are not registered in accordance with the National Firearms Act of 1934. I own two. One of which is quite concealable (a small submachinegun). The other one has a folding stock and an 11.5 BBL and is concealable in a backpack. Neither one is considered a handgun in Texas, so they do not require a license to carry in public. I don't know what the fascination with Walmart is, but they have generally made it known that they don't want open carry of handguns in their stores, though they don't post 30.07 signs. Other stores that do allow open carry would probably be OK with my subgun, which is about the size of an AR15 pistol, but heavier. If I wanted to carry though, I'd conceal in a backpack. The point is, why is permitless handgun carry such a stretch in Texas, when permitless long gun and other firearm carry has been legal for a long time?
Walmart is just an example. You say if you wanted to carry you'd conceal in a backpack. Why not open carry? What I'm saying is while it may be legal its frowned upon and when someone calls in on you walking through WALMART or wherever you'll have the law on you.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jason812 »

Machine guns are not illegal "without a license". They are illegal if they are not registered in accordance with the National Firearms Act of 1934.
Another infringement. I want Constitutional ownership of machine guns.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

cirus

Post by cirus »

jason812 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:27 pm
Machine guns are not illegal "without a license". They are illegal if they are not registered in accordance with the National Firearms Act of 1934.
:iagree: :smilelol5:

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Papa_Tiger »

cirus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:25 pm
Walmart is just an example. You say if you wanted to carry you'd conceal in a backpack. Why not open carry? What I'm saying is while it may be legal its frowned upon and when someone calls in on you walking through WALMART or wherever you'll have the law on you.
Minor point, nothing in the current iteration of HB 1927 says that the handgun has to be openly carried. If so-called constitutional carry were to pass in its current form, an unlicensed carrier could carry a handgun openly or concealed, just as they currently can with long guns. Without any training. Without a permission slip from the government. Just like some non-federally prohibited person's over the age of 21 are doing now, but now it would be legal.

How is reducing government involvement and reducing the criminalization of a Constitutionally protected right a bad thing?

cirus

Post by cirus »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:45 pm
Minor point, nothing in the current iteration of HB 1927 says that the handgun has to be openly carried. If so-called constitutional carry were to pass in its current form, an unlicensed carrier could carry a handgun openly or concealed, just as they currently can with long guns. Without any training. Without a permission slip from the government. Just like some non-federally prohibited person's over the age of 21 are doing now, but now it would be legal.

How is reducing government involvement and reducing the criminalization of a Constitutionally protected right a bad thing?
Its not a bad thing at all. Question is where do you draw the line on what is legal? If I could legally possess an M60 would you feel comfortable with me carrying it around in public? The law might say I can but the public might have a problem with it. I've got no problem with cc but most people don't have since enough to come in out of the rain and I don't want to be around if they have a gun.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

jason812 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:27 pm
Me too.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

cirus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:02 pm [...]
Its not a bad thing at all. Question is where do you draw the line on what is legal? If I could legally possess an M60 would you feel comfortable with me carrying it around in public? The law might say I can but the public might have a problem with it. I've got no problem with cc but most people don't have since enough to come in out of the rain and I don't want to be around if they have a gun.
You can legally possess an M60 7.62 mm belt fed machine gun or even a M249 SAW...There's one for sale at a local gun shop near me, but unfortunately I don't have a spare $100G laying around to buy a transferrable. And the people that do own them can "carry them around" in public. It's just a little impractical given the size. If you are willing to do something criminal with a handgun or a long gun or belt fed, what difference does it make if there's a law saying you need a license to carry them?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Some people will irrationally freak out and call the police for things that are not illegal. This could include carrying a gun, appearing to be poor / the wrong race, or whatever. If we want to avoid these confrontations, then we can (well except for the race one, that might be difficult). But the irrational responses of some people should not be mistaken for what is or is not legal.

And I'm not really sure what this has to do with legalizing unlicensed carry (as others have pointed out, a legal unlicensed carrier could choose whether they want to carry open or concealed).

philip964

Post by philip964 »

To me it seems we already have constitutional carry in Texas. From the Russian hoax “We are going to remove Sam Houston Statue from Hermann Park in Houston Protest” counter protest, a few years back.

Sorry for some reason it won’t show the cool picture.

May have added photo now.
Attachments
66111F2B-D4FE-42EF-993E-6D2A43C3D457.jpeg
Last edited by philip964 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

cirus

Post by cirus »

I'm all for cc I just believe some people aren't responsible enough to carry safely. Just like some people don't need to be driving. We'll just agree to disagree. Right now with the shape this country's in and where I believe its headed which is to hell , cc is the least I'm worried about. A year from now we could be in a civil war so all these laws won't mean a thing. Lawyers, courts, politicians, or the NRA won't matter. If the libs decide to come after your guns cc won't mean a thing. I'm more worried about food, ammo, spare AR parts etc.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Your realize the same can be said about open carrying an handgun, with permit or with constitutional carry right? Right now I have a permit to carry and I can carry into Walmart concealed or openly. If carried concealed, no one sees it and no issue. If carried openly, Walmart can ask me to leave. Folks have openly carried their rifles into many stores such as Walmart, Target, Starbuck's, etc without issue in the past. Granted, the long gun draws more attention, but by law, they are treated the same. Property owners have the right to ask you to leave and if you refuse to do so, you can be arrested.

Return to “Off-Topic”